Help! Light Strikes on my BRAND NEW Sig P227

Help! Light Strikes on my BRAND NEW Sig P227

This is a discussion on Help! Light Strikes on my BRAND NEW Sig P227 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. First to the Mods, I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. If not, my apologies and please move it where ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Help! Light Strikes on my BRAND NEW Sig P227

Exclamation Help! Light Strikes on my BRAND NEW Sig P227

Hi all. First to the Mods, I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. If not, my apologies and please move it where appropriate.

So, I got out today and shot my new brand new Sig P227 for the first time. Prior to shooting, I installed the factory SRT trigger and a set of Hogue Piranha Grips. I am extremely confident that I installed the SRT trigger correctly. I did not clean the gun at all before the session. I also did not shoot the gun prior to my SRT install, so I can not say if the following issue was there before my install. It was as Sig delivered it minus the aforementioned mods.

The first mag that I shot cycled flawlessly. After that, I was getting light strikes (failure to fire) every 4 rounds or so. After clearing the gun each time, I noticed that most of the bullets that failed to fire were struck by the firing pin dead center. The rounds that weren't dimpled dead center had no dimple whatsoever. This only happened after I fired a round. After failure, I could re-chamber the round (manually rack the slide) and it would fire just fine. Also after failure, I tried multiple times in DA and those failed as well. I do believe that the slide was properly seated all the way back onto the frame when the failures were experienced.

I was shooting 230 grain +P HST, 230 grain standard HST, and 230 grain Blazer FMJ.

I really hope this is an issue that I may be able to resolve with your help. I really don't want to send it back to Sig.

Thanks in advance everyone and Happy New Year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corytr View Post
    Hi all. First to the Mods, I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. If not, my apologies and please move it where appropriate.

So, I got out today and shot my new brand new Sig P227 for the first time. Prior to shooting, I installed the factory SRT trigger and a set of Hogue Piranha Grips. I am extremely confident that I installed the SRT trigger correctly. I did not clean the gun at all before the session. I also did not shoot the gun prior to my SRT install, so I can not say if the following issue was there before my install. It was as Sig delivered it minus the aforementioned mods.

The first mag that I shot cycled flawlessly. After that, I was getting light strikes (failure to fire) every 4 rounds or so. After clearing the gun each time, I noticed that most of the bullets that failed to fire were struck by the firing pin dead center. The rounds that weren't dimpled dead center had no dimple whatsoever. This only happened after I fired a round. After failure, I could re-chamber the round (manually rack the slide) and it would fire just fine. Also after failure, I tried multiple times in DA and those failed as well. I do believe that the slide was properly seated all the way back onto the frame when the failures were experienced.

I was shooting 230 grain +P HST, 230 grain standard HST, and 230 grain Blazer FMJ.

I really hope this is an issue that I may be able to resolve with your help. I really don't want to send it back to Sig.

Thanks in advance everyone and Happy New Year!!!
    I do not consider it to be a fair test of a new gun to start firing it before a thorough cleaning. New guns have cosmoline and other protectants that increase internal friction. I have found other various metallic and fibrous debris in new guns I have purchased. You could very well have a bunch of crud in the firing pin channel that is preventing the firing pin from operating freely. You should do a thorough cleaning and then head to the range. In this case I'd probably disassemble the slide to clean out the firing pin channel. There are U-tube videos that show you how. It's a Sig, so you'll probably need to use a pin punch and hammer. If you're not comfortable, then get a good smithy to do it for you ($25?) so you don't mess up your new gun. I don't even shoot new Glocks without first cleaning them.

DBS
    I agree with HotBrass45; new guns need to be cleaned and lubed before firing. I'd see if just a routine cleaning/lubing did the job before I tackled the firing pin channel though; the firing pin positioning pins on SIGs can be very hard to remove.

Also, make sure your new right-sided grip panel isn't interfering with the trigger bar spring, or even the trigger bar itself. I've seen that happen.
    Eric357 likes this.

My first thought was, was it cleaned before shooting? You answered that. CLEAN it first to get rid of any preservative/metal shavings from manufacture, then shoot.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

If it still has light strikes after cleaning & lube, then replace the firing system with the originals. Set a working start point first, then do the mods. Easier to figure out problems that way.
    NRA Life Member
    Engineer, US Merchant Marine retired

Member BDA Pony Club

Thanks guys. I did not clean it because of the recommendation of the dealer. I did thoroughly clean it and replaced all factory oil that I could get to with FrogLube last night and also removed and reassembled the SRT trigger. I will wait on cleaning the firing pin and channel until i have a replacement roll pin as i don't think those should be reused. I will also check under the grip as suggested. Hopefully I'll be able to get some rounds through her this weekend and I will be sure to report back.

Thanks again! Keep 'em coming.

ETA - If it still misses after a test session, I do plan on putting the original trigger in to get back to ground zero.
    HotBrass45 likes this.

VIP Member
    Agree with Bacon. It's wise to try out a brand spankin' new gun without any modifications. That way if there are any problems, you can attribute them to the gun, and not something you did when you were messing with the innards.

And clean and lube the gun before shooting again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

First move is to restore the pistol to factory standard as you received it. Of course clean the weapon as well. If you still have light primer strikes with the Sig in its standard factory original configuration, then you may need to contact Sig. Federal HST ammo is good so that should not be a problem but run several different brands through the pistol and record the results. Remove the variables and then troubleshoot. Good luck sir......
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it........Aristotle

DBS
    Further thoughts: If you continue to have problems after cleaning, lubing, and verifying that your replacement grips are not interfering with the trigger bar spring by putting the originals back on, then just send it back to SIG.

If you disassemble the slide to mess with the firing pin channel, you will likely void your warranty unless you are a certified SIG armorer.

VIP Member
    What type of ammo were you using? Some of the Russian stuff have hard primers.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Sigs come clean and ready to shoot right out of the box. Maybe a little excess oil on the exterior, but the internals and slide rails are ready to go from the start. Plus, a normal cleaning won't get into the firing pin channel, or the mainspring/hammer strut area. The SRT shouldn't affect this either, unless it only does it on single action shots. Then it could be that the sear isn't holding the hammer far enough back, but that would be very unusual. I've installed SRT kits in over a dozen Sigs that did not come equipped from the factory with it, including two W German P6's, and never had a function issue. It's also possible that your gun was mistakenly assembled with the wrong mainspring. I believe the one for the DAK guns is lighter. Is your mainspring red? Both DAK guns I've had had a red mainspring instead of an unfinished one like all of my DA/SA models.

The mainspring would be the first thing I'd check. If that is correct, or if your uncertain, I'd reinstall the factory sear and safety lever and see how it performs. If none of that works, Sig will handle it at no cost to you. Their service is top notch.

Keep us updated with what you find.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I was trying to prove my carry round, so Federal HST, Federal HST +P, and Blazer FMJ. All of then 230 grain.

Add: my guide rod spring is green.

VIP Member
    I was trying to prove my carry round, so Federal HST, Federal HST +P, and Blazer FMJ. All of then 230 grain.
    Good defensive rounds tend to have hard primers, but that shouldn't be an issue with a Sig. Every one I've had eats HST, Gold dots, Hornady, and Winchester without a hitch.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I had light strikes on my P239, that was caused by crud on the firing pin spring. The same thing occured by an over zealous use of Frog Lube in the firing pin of my Beretta .22 pistol. Now Iv'e learned to use a spray solvent on the firing pin channel followed by a compressed air blowout on the channel. Quick and easy.
    Don't confuse Right and Wrong ,with Legal and Illegal; It may be illegal to exterminate a politician, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

DBS

Add: my guide rod spring is green.
    Ianthin was referring to your mainspring, which is found under the backstrap of your pistol. The hammer strut inserts into it. You can inspect it by removing your grips.

Honestly, I'd restore your pistol to its factory original condition so that you won't have to deal with any potential warranty violations for the DIY SRT kit and then get in touch with SIG. They'll make it right at no cost to you, and your warranty will remain intact.
    Ianthin likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links