shopping for a piece for my friend's wife

This is a discussion on shopping for a piece for my friend's wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long story short, she wants to learn how to use and fire a gun defensively because she's being followed on her way home from work ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shopping for a piece for my friend's wife

Long story short, she wants to learn how to use and fire a gun defensively because she's being followed on her way home from work (she works second shift so, it's around midnight when her shift ends). The cops have been informed, but they say they can't do anything until he actually does something that would be considered an offensive act against her. As such, she's rather fearful (understandably).

Both I and her husband (he's a member here on the forums) carry, and we're often up late hanging out at his house anyway; this guy obviously picked the wrong gal to mess with. But as with police officers, we can't be with her 24/7.

So anyway, I advised her to apply for her carry license ASAP, as it takes 4 to 6 weeks to receive it. In the mean time, her husband and I are going to take her to the range to get the short range defensive shooting techniques down. I don't want to overwhelm her with all kinds of details, but she's never even fired a gun before. So I'm probably going to start her off with my Walther P22. After that, I think we'll see if she warms up to a .38 snub nose revolver, which I think is probably the best piece of hardware for her. She's very slight of build (maybe 5'3", less than a hundred pounds), so anything more than .38spl would probably recoil too much for her.

Just asking for opinions on my decisions so far, other suggestions are welcome too.

edit; Also, she is currently pregnant (not too far in, maybe a month or so). Are there any reasons why we shouldn't take her shooting while pregnant (we plan on using eye/ear protection, par normal), or any additional precautions we should take? For what it's worth, we'll be at an outdoor range, so ventilation and excessive noise aren't really an issue.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    You might want to consider using the "environmentally friendly" rounds like Winclean, no lead dust, but I don't think it will be an issue. I wouldn't expose her to cleaning solvents however, so somebody has to clean her gun for now.

If you train her up on the P22, and she wants something more substantial to carry, consider the P99c or one of the other P99 series... IIRC it's the same manual of arms and should have a similar feel.

Another good choice whether $$ is an issue or not, but especially if it is, would be something from Bersa. My wife is very happy at this point with her Bersa Thunder .380. They make similar firearms all the way up to .45 ACP.

Lastly the P22 itself, when stoked with very high velocity ammo, has resonable reliability. Nobody considers .22LR a serious primary defense cartridge... but nobody volunteers to be shot with it either. You could do worse than the P22. Teach her to shoot without that little laser, so she has the fundamentals down first, then stick it back on and have at it.

On a side note: Do they have a dog?
    Last edited by tanksoldier; March 29th, 2007 at 04:17 PM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    edit; Also, she is currently pregnant (not too far in, maybe a month or so). Are there any reasons why we shouldn't take her shooting while pregnant (we plan on using eye/ear protection, par normal), or any additional precautions we should take? For what it's worth, we'll be at an outdoor range, so ventilation and excessive noise aren't really an issue.
    As a guy, the only one I know about is Lead. I suggest latex gloves, a long sleeve shirt, pants, and a shower after the range trip.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I think tanksoldier made some good points. I'd definitely recommend snubbie, but if an auto's wanted (for whatever reason), the Bersa sounds like a solid choice.

I don't have Bersa, but from all the positive things I hear, it sure sounds like it'd be a winner.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

tanksoldier,

My P22 doesn't have a laser on it.

I know the P99 very well, as I have an SW99 (P99 clone) myself and use it as my carry weapon. I'm fairly sure, however, that 9mm and .40S&W will prove to be too much recoil for her. Who knows, I might be wrong; but anyway, I'm looking to get her something that she won't have to worry about FTFs, FTEs, and other problems that semiautos may have. Wheelguns are simple point & click, no safety to worry about, or slide to cycle, or magazines to fumble with. That and a featherweight snub revolver is lighter and smaller than even a P99C; and I don't want to stick her with a semiauto chambered for .380ACP. Those things kick like the dickens! I'll be borrowing my roommate's .38 snub nose to see how she likes that, and let her ultimately decide.

Since the baby is surrounded by fluid, muzzle blast may be a signficant factor. (Sound travels WAY faster in liquids than in air). I'd suggest that she discuss it with her OB/GYN first.

Having her wear heavy clothing around her abdomen may help, too.

If my wife were being followed home late at night after work I would be there watching, too.

I'm assuming that she has the license plate number? Well, information being available at a cost of course you could find out who owns the car. Would be nice to know who it is.

Of course, you could hire a PI but that can get expensive pretty quickly.

Keep her safe until she can keep herself safe. 4-6 weeks is a long time when you're scared.

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    She's very slight of build (maybe 5'3", less than a hundred pounds), so anything more than .38spl would probably recoil too much for her.
    My bride is 5-2 maby 115 or so soaking wet , and she chose a detonics compact .45 as her ccw . Dont sell the gal's short and Dont walk into it " knowing " what is a ladys gun . Let her shoot everything she can then listen to her when she says i like this about that one , and that about this one . Then narrow the list . Gals in my experience tend to like bigger guns than we would think they would , and tend to out shoot us also with less training . Yes i know the reasons for this as an old firearms trainer . Starting on a .22 is good advise for anyone , and then shoot up to duty cals , My sole point is take ALL the pistols you have to the range , not just the " ladys " guns , let her try them and decide what features fit her best . Then work from there to get her the pistol she wants , and train her up on useing it .

Edited to add : we have two fine children and at the lowest my wife was shooting 20 to 30 rounds a month till full term for both , on one case we left the range to go have a baby . No harm to momma or the kids that i can see , and i should have seen by now since my youngest is 23 .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

We already know who owns and drives the car. He works at the same plant she does. She's brought up the issue with her superiours, but their hands are also tied until he actually does something to her. Really crappy situation, I know. :(

RR, that's precisely what I plan on doing. The only reason I'm apprehensive about it is that she herself has claimed she doesn't want a heavy gun, nor a gun that recoils much. I'm going to encourage her to at least try my SW99, as a matter of principle; her husband has an XD in .40S&W, so it's about the same recoil-wise. Right now, we pretty much have the P22, the .38 snub, my SW99, and his XD40 as a lineup for her to try out. I could probably get my roommate to lend me a 1911 of his in .45 too.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Well, IMO, if you're set on a wheel gun don't train her up on an auto. Since you mentioned the P22 I though that you wanted to go the auto route.

A Taurus M85 or similar would be just the thing in a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    tanksoldier,
    That and a featherweight snub revolver is lighter and smaller than even a P99C; and I don't want to stick her with a semiauto chambered for .380ACP. Those things kick like the dickens! I'll be borrowing my roommate's .38 snub nose to see how she likes that, and let her ultimately decide.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I'd like to train her on a .22 revolver, but alas, I don't have one. I just don't want to start her with a .38 if I can substitute a .22, and introduce the .38 later. Incremental steps, as it were.

I didn't mean train her as in "make her a proficient shot with the P22," I meant, "Get her used to the recoil and noise with the P22, then move her on to the snub."

How about enrolling her in a Basic Firearms class and then taking her to the range after the class is over to rent different guns until she finds a keeper?

One thing that you might have to wory about with her stating she does not want a gun that recoils to much is with the light weight version of the 38 cal. My wifes first gun was a Lady Smith in .38 and she hated shooting it as it had a very strong recoil with regular training rounds. She reaaly did not like it when I made her shoot the HP rounds. I do have to admit that that "Lady Smith" was a beast to shoot. My wife know has a Beretta Tomcat in .32, which she likes and shoots very well.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

My wife is 4'10. She really likes her Airweight 38sp. She has little interest in semi - autos. ( doesn't like the complexity)
    The smartest thing that I did when introducing her to shooting 38's was to buy a bunch of handloads with 100 grain wadcutters.. Very mild recoil. (It seems to me that the recoil of small frame revolvers is VERY dependent on bullet weight.)
    After shooting a bunch of 100 grain ammo , she started with heavier bullets. She now carries +P's 110 grains. Every so often, when we go shooting, I have her shoot the +p's just to keep fresh ammo. She just remarks that the +P's have more kick and then keeps shooting.
    FWIW.... I "think" that the only way that lead can get into the body is via the GI tract. So, if she washes her hands (and face ?) after shooting , she should be OK. Can't go wrong by asking a Doc, though !! mike

OD*
    Dont sell the gal's short and Dont walk into it " knowing " what is a ladys gun . Let her shoot everything she can then listen to her when she says i like this about that one , and that about this one .
    Amen.

Let her pick her gun.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links