Operator error- G29 FTF

Operator error- G29 FTF

This is a discussion on Operator error- G29 FTF within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up my G29 today- the recoil is certainly manageable and I fired Sig 180 gr, Double Tap 200 gr, and Liberty Civil Defense ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Operator error- G29 FTF

Senior Member Array 2ndunamended's Avatar

Operator error- G29 FTF

I picked up my G29 today- the recoil is certainly manageable and I fired Sig 180 gr, Double Tap 200 gr, and Liberty Civil Defense 60 gr (2400 fps!). I was pleased with the accuracy as well- even in rapid fire my groups were respectable (and certainly "deadly enough" with the power of the 10mm).

I had one glaring issue. I shot 100 rounds (10 full mags); on the last round of each mag I experienced a failure to feed. It happened with every mag, and only on the final round. Not one FTE. I know I was not limp wristing. I think however, my shooting thumb may have slightly depressed the mag release button, somehow keeping the final round from feeding- it's the only explanation myself and the range instructor could figure. But why it only happened on the last round of each mag is perplexing.

Has this happened to anyone? I'm sure after a few more rounds through the gun, as well as a thorough cleaning, the gun will feel even better. My grip should benefit by the Talon grip I've got coming, which will cover the smooth thumb rest area and provide a little more "traction" for my thumb.
    If you're offended by anything I say, I'm offended that you are such a sissy.

NRA Life Member
    Gun Owners of America Member
    NRA certified Range Safety Officer

I've got to know more on the FTF on the last round. Did the slide close but not fee the round, or did the slide lock back, or was it a jam?
    I am assuming that you are using only Glock OEM magazines and your G29 is all stock.
    Thanks
    2ndunamended likes this.

The slide locked open and the round would not feed. With a slight pull back on the slide, the round reset and fed upon release of the slide. It didn't seem like a traditional jam. The range instructor was perplexed too and he watched me closely the whole time confirming a strong grip.

When he shot two mags however, he did not experience the same problem. That's why we both think I was leaning on the mag release just a tad.

NRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Do you have a pinky extension? I tried one and it seemed if i put to much rearward preasure on it, it would not feed the last round.
    2ndunamended and zonker1986 like this.

No pinky extension but my pinky was curled tightly underneath the mag plate. The range instructor mentioned that also could have been an issue.

But I'd think if anything I was pushing more upward than rearward. I'll have to analyze tomorrow.
    jwilson904 likes this.

NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Is the slide release stock?

I know you said it happened on every mag, but just for clarity, you were using multiple magazines and not the same one reloaded repeatedly, right?
    2ndunamended likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Is the slide release stock?
    Slide release is stock; brand new G29

I know you said it happened on every mag, but just for clarity, you were using multiple magazines and not the same one reloaded repeatedly, right?
    Correct: I used the three factory mags that came with the G29, loading and rotating each them through the 100 rounds. I think also that the mag springs could use a little breaking in... There's no question the G29 (and G20/40) are built quite robustly. I've just completed a complete cleaning of the G29 and will put another 100 rounds through it tomorrow, with the owner of my former G20. He's a former Green Beret and SWAT captain so I'm sure he'll scare the G29 into compliance!

NRA Life Member

I have seen pushing up on the bottom of the magazine cause similar issues.
    2ndunamended and zonker1986 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

When you say leaning on the slide release explain that.
    Many times while shooting people will say the gun failed to lock back on the last round due to pressing on the slide release, so if thats what you were doing I would assume it would not have stayed ipen. Now if you were holding on and you pushed up on the slide release I could easily see this happening, especially on the last round. The RO's lack of trouble also suggests this too IMO.
    2ndunamended likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have seen pushing up on the bottom of the magazine cause similar issues.
    If this is indeed a contributing factor, what is the solution? Perhaps as the springs break in it will not matter as much?

I'd think with one round remaining, and therefore much less pressure on the mag springs, pushing up on the floor plate would only assist in feeding the last round rather than preventing it.

NRA Life Member

We all know it's because you were limp wristing.
    2ndunamended likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndunamended View Post
    The slide locked open and the round would not feed. With a slight pull back on the slide, the round reset and fed upon release of the slide. It didn't seem like a traditional jam. The range instructor was perplexed too and he watched me closely the whole time confirming a strong grip.

When he shot two mags however, he did not experience the same problem. That's why we both think I was leaning on the mag release just a tad.
    If that were the case, you should feel the mag drop, and the slide would not lock back at all if the mag was disconnected to my thinking.
    Here's something to think about. How you load your magazines. During firing, the last round in your mag is the first round loaded. I figure that maybe your last round is a bit forward when it comes to the pop of the magazine. Being out of position by a very small amount could likely engage the slide lock/release. As with all Glock staggered column mags, I always suggest making sure the rounds are fully seated to the rear of the magazine. The very first round loaded into the mags is important. Make sure it's fully against the back of the magazine. Once you've loaded three rounds into the magazine, smack the back of the magazine base down into the palm of your other hand to seat the bottom round. A lot of times you'll experience this with newer magazines that will eventually break in as the spring weakens or gets compressed enough times. The sub compacts are more affected by this BTW.

When you say leaning on the slide release explain that.
    Many times while shooting people will say the gun failed to lock back on the last round due to pressing on the slide release, so if thats what you were doing I would assume it would not have stayed ipen. Now if you were holding on and you pushed up on the slide release I could easily see this happening, especially on the last round. The RO's lack of trouble also suggests this too IMO.
    By "leaning," I mean ever so slightly pushing inward on the upper right corner of the mag release. I know I wasn't pushing up into the slide release (something I did do on the G43; my thumb stayed well clear on the G29). The RO confirmed this.

While I'm confident this will work itself out over the break in period, I do wonder if a larger or smaller mag release button would help. Smaller intuitively seems better, as I'd be less likely to push inward on a recessed button. That said, a larger, more protruding mag release button might act as a "rest" or boundary past which my thumb could not move.

I'm probably overthinking this. It is a Glock after all.

NRA Life Member

I would keep shooting it and reloading the magazine and see what happens. You may have a mag issue, or a seating issue, but in either case i think it will work itself out. If not, swap out the magazine and see what it does.
    2ndunamended likes this.
    "Threat assessment and situational awareness seems to be the order of the day.
    Why wouldn't physical and mental preparedness be any less of a consideration?"- dmitchsr

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    >>>>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<<<<

We all know it's because you were limp wristing.
    At least I'm consistent on the last round!
    Wasp likes this.

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links