New sub-compact 9mm or 40S&W

This is a discussion on New sub-compact 9mm or 40S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about picking up a sub-compact pistol for summer carry. Trying to decide between the 9mm and 40S&W. Now what I need is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

I am thinking about picking up a sub-compact pistol for summer carry. Trying to decide between the 9mm and 40S&W. Now what I need is some info on those that have shot both the 40S&W and 9mm in sub-compacts. I see that a lot of people that carry 9mm will carry +p ammo. I have not shot any 9mm +p but would guess it should be close to 40S&W in recoil. I am am leaning toward the 40 because I carry a Glock 22 most of the time and love the way it shoots. So share your knowledge with me and please no fights as to which caliber is superior. We all know both will do their job if we do ours.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Either will work just find. Since you have a 40 already, I would go that direction.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Are you staying with Glock or looking at others?

I feel little difference in recoil between G26 & G27. If you're looking at Glocks you can get the 27 and switch barrels to use both 9mm & .40

I have shot Kahr Mk in .40 and XDSC .40 and both weren't that fun to shoot. So if it's other brand- based on experience I would go 9mm for better control.

kylebce
    Either Glock or XD not sure yet which one. I thought both should shoot about the same.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I would suggest looking at M&P's and as far as caliber, i think either will be fine as long as you choose the right ammunition. If you are going to practice a lot and use this as a range gun also i would consider 9mm. If you don't mind the snappy recoil of the 40 and don't mind spend a few buck more a box go with it!

Adam

i as well suggest the M&P, without question, but...( not to hi-jack) i as well would like to hear any opinions of those who shot these in the 9 and 40 and what they thought about the two.
    What's this button do?

I guess was not as clear in my posting as I could have been. What I am wanting to know is how much difference in recoil is there between a 9mm+p round and a 40S&W round in a sub-compact pistol.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Recoil difference - 9mm and .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    What I am wanting to know is how much difference in recoil is there between a 9mm+p round and a 40S&W round in a sub-compact pistol.
    With guns of the same basic design and weight, such as the Glock models 26 and 27, I believe the felt recoil will depend upon the bullet weight and muzzle velocity of the ammunition used in each one. Since the product of bullet weight and muzzle velocity is bullet momentum, recoil will vary with momentum. Momentum is also called "power factor" in some shooting sports, and is defined as bullet weight in grains multiplied by muzzle velocity in feet per second, divided by 1,000.

To pick two examples, Winchester Silvertip 115 grain 9mm ammo has a muzzle velocity of 1225 fps from a standard barrel, so it has a "power factor" of 141. In .40 caliber, Winchester Silvertip 155 grain ammo has a muzzle velocity of 1205 fps from a standard barrel, so it has a power factor of 187.

If you divide 187 by 141 you get 1.326. So I would estimate that the Glock 27 has 33% more felt recoil than the Glock 26, using the ammo mentioned above.

Now if you use a hotter +P 9mm ammo, with muzzle velocity in the 1300 fps range, the power factor would be roughly 150 and the .40 caliber recoil would still be higher, but by about 25%.

The .40 S&W is a fantastic round - I've consolidated almost all of my weapons to only the .40 S&W.

Even though I would have only suggested the Glock G27 a few weeks ago, after shooting the S&W M&P 40c yesterday. I would now recommend looking at the M&P. They have 3 different Palmswells (small, medium and large) depending on your preferences. They also come with one flat magazine and one with a finger extension.

The M&P 40c shot very nice with very little recoil. I shot a couple different types of ammo and shot with a very loose grip to check if I got any FTF or FTE and I had NO ISSUES, and some of the ammo was CCI 165 gr. Blazer Brass.

Go out and shoot the M&P 40c..... I think you will be impressed.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I owned a XD subcompact 40 and it was OK to carry but sucked to shoot. It had alot of recoil. As I mentioned in my earlier comment, the Glock 27 wasn't too different from the 26.

As far as 9+p+ specifically- I could shoot a few rounds of regular then a couple of +p+ and not notice a difference, maybe a little more muzzle flip.

kpw
    The G27 is slightly snappier than a G26 with +P ammo. Not enough to be concerned about though. If you carry a G22, you have to have the baby brother. The G27 to me, has less muzzle flip than an XD .40 compact but I haven't shot a .40 M&P compact to compare to.

I find it interesting that the G 27 would have less recoil than the SC XD 40. What do you guys think is the reason for it?
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

I have the XD40sc and think it has very little recoil. My brother has rheumatoid arthritis,and his hands are getting badly deformed, he fired a box of 50 WWB, without complaining. He loves it, but carries a small Taurus revolver that is easier for him to load.

Try all of the weapons on your short list and decide for yourself. If you are new at shooting, or have overly sensitive hands it might be a problem. But it is nothing like .44Mag..
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    I find it interesting that the G 27 would have less recoil than the SC XD 40. What do you guys think is the reason for it?
    Mike
    That's just my perception when shooting the two side by side. It may have to do with the higher bore axis of the XD. The grip shape and angle. Maybe a combination. I don't think it is a huge difference and if you liked the XD better, I'd say go for it.

I used to shoot nothing but .40s&w, until I discovered the 10mm. I wondered why the .40 still had alot of snap in the recoil but the 10mm didn't, but it had more power. I could control the 10 better, which led me to the .45acp, and thats the end of that...
    maybe try that ???
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links