DIY gunsmithing?

This is a discussion on DIY gunsmithing? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am pretty handy with tools for the most part, and i was thinking about getting a dremel to smooth out and polish the slide ...

Thread: DIY gunsmithing?

DIY gunsmithing?

i am pretty handy with tools for the most part, and i was thinking about getting a dremel to smooth out and polish the slide and feed ramp on my semi autos, any ideas or tips? thanks

2. Remove Ads

yeah throw the dremel in the garbage and do it by hand

To easy to mess it up with power tools cant put back what ya take off

If you ever foresee that you would use this pistol for self defense I would urge you to send it to the manufacturer to be worked on. Barring that, I would suggest that you send it to a competant, reliable and reknowned gunsmith.

The reson I suggest this is because of the judicial climate and political climate we find ourselves in today. I am not a lawyer, but if I was, I would find it very easy to say that, "Your gun wasn't deadly enough as it was made. You had to sit at your kitchen table and modify it to make it deadlier!"

You and I know the above statement is pure BS. However, you and I won't be on the jury. You will have to be able to explain your decision to the "lowest common denominator" and that will be an antigun liberal.

Good luck with that. I will not enjoy seeing you crucified.

Biker

so i guess use fine sandpaper? what grit would you start with for lets say the feed ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you ever foresee that you would use this pistol for self defense I would urge you to send it to the manufacturer to be worked on. Barring that, I would suggest that you send it to a competant, reliable and reknowned gunsmith.

The reson I suggest this is because of the judicial climate and political climate we find ourselves in today. I am not a lawyer, but if I was, I would find it very easy to say that, "Your gun wasn't deadly enough as it was made. You had to sit at your kitchen table and modify it to make it deadlier!"

You and I know the above statement is pure BS. However, you and I won't be on the jury. You will have to be able to explain your decision to the "lowest common denominator" and that will be an antigun liberal.

Good luck with that. I will not enjoy seeing you crucified.

Biker
    thanks, basically i just want to polish the slide and feed ramp smoother, no major tweaking

Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    so i guess use fine sandpaper? what grit would you start with for lets say the feed ramp?

Depends how rough is it ?

If not bad at all grab some flitz polish and lot of elbow grease and go to town

Try some Flitz with a cotton wheel on the dremel do not use sandpaper PLEASE. The Flitz is a very fine polishing compound that will put a mirror shine on your feed ramp without removing any ( much ) metal , go slow and check often it doesn't take much to polish it up.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

I used my dremmel with a cone shaped polishing attachment, applied a bit of polishing compound and kept it at low speed. I only polished the feed ramp. It was no problem, very simple, just be sure and keep low speed.

OD*
    Gotta agree with Bud.

Step away from the dremel!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Some Of These Steps...

are simple things, some modifications are a lot trickier...but I still take my stuff to a reasonable 'smith' at the local gun shop!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've seen few semi's that didn't have tool marks on the slides and ramps. I do a very mild polishing using 600 emory cloth and end with 800. For the ramp, simply roll the emory to approximate the radius of the ramp and proceed very slowly. This method can also be used to the "throat". It's a very simple step and obviously, the mfg's can't provide this extra step cost effectively. Will it improve performance? Maybe. But, before you do anything, take a look at a CZ 52. Looks like it was built by a cave man. But, it's one of the best guns I own.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The problem with Dremil tools and the like is that most folks dont take the time to understand what they want to accomplish , then plan step by step how to get there . So you see some horrific things such as undercut feedramps , then they will try to trim down the barrel ( change the angle ) to match the botched frame ( on a .45 ) . Egged shaped champfers on revolver cyllinders , ect.. If you simply must use a dremil then read up on your firearm action , understand EXACTLY how and why it functions as it does ( for instance with a 1911 you can change the plate that retains the fireing pin and reduce the recoil as much as a compensator , and for good reason once you understand the action ) . Then formulate a plan to do exactly what you want and no more , a plan that will not allow you to remove too much metal , or change any angles with the power tool . Some times just setting up a " jig " or fixture to accomplish this is far more work than doing the job by hand to start with would have been lol .
    Finally I dont care if you are a neurosurgeon, your hand is not as steady as you think it is once it holds a rotatory tool . Your pistol's finish ( if you are lucky , if not worse )will suffer for you to learn this tho since this is one of them " pee on the fence themselves " lessons lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Repairs, I'm curious about the plate you can change for recoil control. How 'bout a little more info?
    "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject."

Sights? What are those?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelgunner88 View Post
    Repairs, I'm curious about the plate you can change for recoil control. How 'bout a little more info?
    The firing pin stop he is talking about is a flat bottom stop there is no radius at all

This in turn alters the leverage on the hammer giving less leverage to the slide and in turn delays unlocking of the slide

You can adjust the radius as you like on the stop .

I have not yet had a chance to try a total flat bottom most people do radius them and the ones i have shot feel different

This works very well on 10mm guns to help battering

Eventually i plan on using a total flat bottom one. My Les baer Commander size usels one with a lot less radius than any of my other 1911s and recoil feels different compared to them muzzle rise seems less

EGW makes them

http://www.egw-guns.com/

OD*
    I'm not Redneck Repairs, nor do I play him on TV, but....

The parts actual name is Firing Pin Stop.
    Here's a fifty page thread dealing with them.
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...ht=firing+stop
    Some people claim amazing recoil reduction with the original radius FPS (used 1911 to 1918), others don't see much difference.

I have an original 1913 which has the shallow radius FPS, I never notice much difference in all the years I have been shooting it along side my other 1911s, but with all the internet hoopla, I thought I'd try it on a couple newer pistols.

So me and a bud did a 500 +/- round test Friday, 2 Colt 1991s, both with factory 16lb recoil springs and 23lb mainsprings, his is bone stock with the factory 7/32"R FPS and mine had the .078"R FPS. 2 brands of factory ammo (same ammo used during testing), fire one round, hand the pistol off and fire the other, neither one of us could see or feel any appreciable difference in felt recoil or perceived torque. Anyway, I may just change out a few more on my other 1911s, I do appreciate a hard fit FPS.

You can get the square FPS (and apply the radius yourself) from EGW or Guncrafter Industries

http://egw-guns.com/catalog/product_...products_id=36

http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/...sories.shtml#4
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links