I got quite the shock today

This is a discussion on I got quite the shock today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I took my other half to the pistol range. I didn't really think she would like it since her view on guns is more ...

Thread: I got quite the shock today

Today I took my other half to the pistol range. I didn't really think she would like it since her view on guns is more negative than positive.
    I brought my new Kahr TP45 and the Ruger GP100 and Taurus 85 for her to shoot .38 specials thru. This is Jennifers first trip to the range and her first time shooting and MY first time to instruct her on the usage of a weapon.
    I HAVE CREATED A MONSTER !
    After all the instruction and shooting of the revolvers, she said the revolvers were too heavy and set them down and then said "I wanna shoot the BIG one" ...OK I said and I showed her the ways and means of the Kahr semi-auto. She darn near took it away from me !!!
    Her first time shootin' a large caliber pistol and she falls in love with it ! The Kahr and the caliber ! I can't blame her because recoil is low. She wasn't flinching or jerking the trigger. We put an easy hundred rounds thru her and she didn't malfunction once. The gun nor Jennifer...
    I have realized I have won another over to the side of the true and rightous. She thanked me for a wonderful afternoon of letting her frustrations out and she wants to do a lot more of this. I was rewarded with a kiss.
    I told her that when she had plenty of firing time at the range plus a ton of safety lectures on gun handling from yours truly and If I'm impressed, that we would go in search of her own Kahr. I'm thinking of a CW9 for her CCW.
    I am starting to see why alot of you like the dark side.
    Last edited by artz; April 1st, 2007 at 09:28 PM.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I had a similar experience with my wife.

I got my first Glock, and took her to the range. If it was going to be in the house she should at least shoot it, just in case. As we where leaving the range she said "I what one."

Then the process of finding her one she would like to shoot. She found the HK USP compact 9mm. At some point we shot some revolvers. The day I never thought would come. For her birthday I got a Ruger SP101. That caught her my surprise.

About two months back she told me she would like to get a .45. Darn now we have to find her one more.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Senior Moderator
    LOL.. Good job...
    That reminds me of a Navy DEP meeting I was invited to. They went to this range and rented and brought a TON of weapons, one of them being a .50 BMG sniper rifle.
    I don't usually broadcast that I'm a gun fan and by my little frame and girlie looks, people don't assume I'm into guns.

Everyone was shooting, having a grand old time and not one single person was even LOOKING at the .50. I shot all the pistols, all the rifles, and finally I just sat on the picnic table.

The recruiter walked up and asked me what I wanted to shoot next.

I pointed at the .50 and said, "I want to shoot THAT!"

Everyone just stopped and started looking around at each other, silently asking if I was insane.

I was the only girl there. I was warned that I would probably not like it because it was too big.

The first shot almost knocked me off the picnic table but DAMN was that the most fabulous thing I'd ever shot. I was hooked, and after that there was a line behind me.. all of the kids wanted to shoot it.

Don't underestimate us gals and our love for large calibers and big bangs. We get as much of a kick out of it as you guys do.

LMAO ~~
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Back when my wife could still shoot she fell in love with the Uzi. In fact it became her home defense gun. I was working in the field for sometimes a week. One of my police friends was concerned about her and our young son. So I tell him, "Well first they have to get past the pit and the lab, then they face her with the Uzi loaded with Czech sub machine gun ammo, two 25 rounders." He wasn't so worried after that. That Czech ammo was some seriously hot stuff, came with a warning against using it in any handgun!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Congrats on bring your wife over to the dark side.

Now she needs her own gun and a carry permit.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Artz That is great bud . One thing i will advise tho is that if the checkbook can swing it go ahead and get the P series Kahr instead of the cw . My reasoning for this is that they have less MIM parts , polygonal rifleing for more velocity , and no small thing is that you can change out sights on them handily . If she really gets into shooting , and defense a set of nightsights are nice to have on her defensive pistol . The cw is a fine little pistol in its own right , but it is the entry level kahr and sells cheaper because it does not have all the features of the p series .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

My wife's friend uses her hubbies Springfield .45, she's trying to convince my wife to shoot it.. lol

My girlfriend realized that it would be hard to conceal a 1911 in her mid-sized purse. So she settle for a SIG P232 but still wants a 1911 for the truck or the house. Its funny to me how my small girlfriend just has to have the biggest 3500 Dodge Ram (like my mother, 5'4'' and her Titan 4x4), the tallest bed, and now the biggest guns. I convince her to let me have a shotgun if she's going to get a 1911.

Skippy , i wont even address purse carry lol ( take what ya can get with the gals , most of them think fashion first ) but seriously if she looks with favor on the 1911 look at some of the smaller kimbers , springfields , or detonics guns . My bride of 26 years carrys an original detonics 1911 for her ccw , tho a browning hp was her duty gun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Right after we got married, 28 years ago, I took my wife pistol shooting and she hated it. Fast forward 24 years when she agreed to go out with me again and this time she loved it. Just like most of the rest of you have expressed, my little 5’4” wife fell in love with the loudest and meanest recoil piece I have, which is my S&W99 in a .40. It kicks sharper than my 1911s, 9s, 38s, etc. Soon after that she got her CCW permit and the .40 is now her carry gun. With that pistol she can cut the 10x ring out of a target at 15 yards shooting double taps. I cannot control it that well, it has too much twist for me. Who’d thought!
    Last edited by deadshot; April 2nd, 2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: word change

Dead : Personally i suspect it is because " We know how to shoot " so we dont pay attention to the same fundamentals that we teach. As a former LE trainer i saw this continually , the guys would come shoot what may , and you could watch the eyes glaze over when you went over basics , the gals on the other hand did not have the " guy skill " invested and would actually learn and apply lessons . As a rule Women dont have an emotional investment in the ability to shoot , so they learn to shoot well by a variety of methods that puts shooting into their everyday lives . Guys however seem to think that shooting is something males can just do and tend to tune out of methods to improve . oO( and if you have ever eaten outside cooking ( called bbq but in fact grilling ) at a friend/neighbors house you have had a real simple demonstration of this , no matter how bad it is they think its the best and are proud of what they put out lol )

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links