Defensive Carry banner

Range Report - Kahr CW9

5K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Redneck Repairs 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a blatant rip-off of ccw9mm's range reports. I think he has a great format, so I thought I'd use it. :)

Kahr CW9 9mm sub-compact: Range Report #1

This is intended to be an ongoing history of working my new Kahr CW9 9mm pistol at the range. I will track the number of shots, jams/failures, general comments on ergonomics and performance, and cleanings. Each range session, I will come back and post further comments as to performance, how the gun's parts are holding up, and so on.

Gun -- Kahr CW9 9mm polymer pistol, with 7rd magazine.
Purpose -- Evaluating for possible daily concealed carry, at this time.
April 01, 2007 -- First range session.
Rounds -- 56 shots of WWB

Goal -- Begin the break-in process on this gun, to evaluate for possible use as a go-everywhere concealed carry weapon.
Initial Field Strip and Cleaning -- Fully disassembled and cleaned the gun prior to heading to the range. I cleaned the barrel, rails, guide rod, magazine well, magazine, and follower. Wiped down all surfaces with a dry cloth. Oiled all friction surfaces. Cycled the slide several times. I followed the instructions as best I could. I've never disassembled a gun who's recoil spring and guide rod were so difficult to re-install.
Problem During Field Strip -- None
Feel -- My wife and I boht love the feel of this gun. It's got a very nice, slim grip and when it's loaded the weight feels well distributed.
Grip -- Very slim. Compared to my Bersa .380, I think it's a bit slimmer, and a bit longer if you don't count the pinky extension on the Bersa's magazine.
Magazine Eject Button -- Convenient location for both my wife and me. Easy to push, and the magazine drops free.
Ergonomics – I like the ergonomics. It's slim and light. The grip is the perfect length for my hand and not too long to consider for concealed carry. It was comfortable to shoot.
Shots -- 56rds of WWB.
Aim -- This is where I encountered my major problem. I aimed for the center of the target at 10 yards for every shot. My first shot was in the bottom left the bullseye. Every subsequent shot hit extremely low of point of aim. At 10 yards, all my shots were 6" - 8" low and bit left. ONLY the 1st shot of the day hit where I was aiming. The other 55 shots all hit way low and slightly left. I could hit the bullseye by aiming abou 6" high and slightly right from 7 yards.
Ejection – Very consistent, sharp ejects. Brass ejected hard and behind me, slightly to the right.
Slide Action -- Relatively stiff slide, but even before shooting my wife could work it, which means it's not that stiff. It was a bit looser even after just today's 56 rounds.
Jams/failures -- None.
Holstering -- Fits snugly into my Desantis Tuck-This! for small autos.
Cleaning after shooting -- After getting home from the range, I once again disassembled and cleaned the pistol. I noticed that the recoil rod was not centered within the slide. I hadn't noticed it before, but the feed ramp is offset to one side, and not centered. When I reassembled the gun from it's initial cleaning I centered the guide rod to the ramp, and not between the rails. I'm wondering if this is why my first shot hit dead on, and subsequent shots were so far off target. Comments on this are welcomed and encouraged.

Overall, I'm not too happy. The feel of the gun is great, and I was really looking forward to being able to replace my Bersa .380 with a bit more potent of a firearm. However with the point of aim being so far off from point of impact, I'm not going to even begin considering to carry this weapon. I would like the opinion of experienced shooters (especially those experienced with Kahrs) on whether or not the improperly installed guide rod could have caused my aiming problem. I'm going back to the vendor tomorrow to get his opinion as well. I really want to love this gun, but the aim is a huge issue at the moment. After speaking with the vendor tomorrow, I will be taking the gun back out for another session to see if centering the guide rod in the slide does in-fact fix my problem.

See less See more
#2 ·
Shoot it more before you pass judgement on the Kahr. It takes a while to get used to the recoil and the gun itself, a lot more than 56 shots is needed. After getting used to the trigger pull and the recoil, your gun should correct the low and left syndrome all by itself. Oh yeah, dry firing will help out a lot too.

#3 ·
The trigger pull is already great, I'm confident that's not the source of the problem. I should have mentioned in my original post, but once I noticed that the extremely low shot placement wasn't getting better, I stood 7' in front of the target and shot right at the bullseye. The shot hit 1.5" below the bullseye. I shot 3 more times, and and the other 3 shots all hit the same spot 1.5" below the bullseye. It's very consistent and reproducable.

The recoil is also very managable. About the same as my XD 4", so that's not an issue either.

#4 · (Edited)
Day 2

Kahr CW9 9mm sub-compact: Range Report #2

April 02, 2007 -- Second range session.
Rounds -- 100 shots of WWB. 100 + 56 = 156 rounds total.
Goal -- Reevaluate the guns accuracy after the last range session and cleaning.
Initial Field Strip and Cleaning -- Since the gun was just cleaned last night after the initial range report, I did not clean it again this morning. I did however, disassemble the slide from the fram to ensure the recoil guide rod was in the correct position.
Shots -- 100rds of WWB.
Aim -- Aim today seemed much better. It was still hitting a bit low of the point of aim, but not nearly as bad as yesterday. I'm assuming this is due to having put the guide rod in the correct position. However, as the range session went on, the aim seemed to get slightly better, so it may also have to do with the breaking-in of the gun.
Slide Action -- Still relatively stiff, but workable. After today's session, it was a bit easier to manipulate.
Jams/failures -- None.
Cleaning after shooting -- After getting home from the range, I once again disassembled and cleaned the pistol.

Today was a much better day at the range. I'm feeling much better about this gun being a carry gun once it's finished it's break-in period. I will probably pit another 100 rounds or so through it by the end the week, and will update this thread when I do. I still very much like this gun based on its size, weight, and ergonomics. If the accuracy continues to improve, this will definitely become my daily carry gun.

Thoughts and comments are still welcomed regarding the original accuracy issues. I'd like to hear some opinions as to whether or not that guide rod not being centered in the frame is the most likely cause of my first day problems.

#5 ·
I think what SIXTO was trying to say (very diplomatically, I might add)was that you may have been causing the "low-left" syndrome by over-manipulating the trigger. If you aren't used to DA pulls (even one as relatively smooth and clean as the Kahr) the tendency is to pull the muzzle down with the trigger. It sounds like you don't, in fact, have this problem, but it is very common, and it was worth considering.

Great RR, BTW... In my never ending quest to buy more guns, a Kahr is sitting high on the list, and I really enjoy reading about their performance.

#8 ·
After the first couple mags of rounds hitting low, I became very conscious of my grip and making sure I kept the gun steady. I don't think over-manipulating the trigger was the cause of the problem. I've got an XD9 with a very similar trigger pull. When I was having the initial accuracy problem, I set down the Kahr and picked up the XD. I shot 10 rounds in a 2" group at 10 yards, all around the bullseye.

#6 ·
Nice review. I agree with OPFOR on the low left. Typical cause of that is anticipation and over trigger pressure. Might not be the case but its something to think about. I love my Kahr (TP-9) and am seriously thinking about getting a TP45. I have recommended the CW9 as a carry weapon to many a people. Good luck and always remember.....shoot strait and speak the truth.

#11 ·
Folks , I " broke inn" with revolvers as an LE . I currently carry Khars as a primary ccw . The little Kahr is not for everyone imho. It will make you finess your da technique if you will ride it out tho . Even tho a Kahr normaly has an acceptable to good da pull the pistol is so light that you cannot drop concentration or get out of practice on your pull , if you do as a righty you will shoot low left .. this dont matter at 5 yards but has an impact at 25 and plus . The only answer i know is practice , for myself i try and keep a j frame sized revolver in my traders , and do the old penny test with them . None the less a point is all smaller dao guns ( be they revolver or auto ) require work to stay at a level , you drop a week of practice and it will show up on your downrange score .
Speaking to score , my personal level has relaxed some , that being from a 100% on a 50 yrd flat range to being a time compressed all rounds on target out to 25 . I feel that meets my possible needs for ccw .

#13 · (Edited)
3rd Rannge Report

Kahr CW9 9mm sub-compact: Range Report #3

April 06, 2007 -- Third range session.
Rounds -- 50 shots of American Eagle FMJ. 100 + 56 + 50 = 206 rounds total.
Goal -- Continue to evaluate accuracy.
Initial Field Strip and Cleaning -- Gun was cleaned and lubed afer the last range session.
Shots -- 50rds of American Eagle FMJ
Aim -- I think the accuracy issue has been resolved. From 10yds, I was able to consistently hit aluminum pepsi cans and shoot holes through some scrap 1x2 lumber. I am now satisfied with the accuracy of this gun.
Slide Action -- Noticably smoother after todays range session. It can be easily racked and feels very nice.
Jams/failures -- None.
Cleaning after shooting -- After getting home from the range, I once again disassembled and cleaned the pistol.

I am now very happy with this gun, and it will probably be replacing my Bersa as my daily carry pistol (when just wearing a t-shirt) very soon. 8 rounds of 9mm is better than 8 rounds .380, and the CW9 is slightly smaller, much lighter, and conceals more easily.

Since I'm in Nevada, I have to qualify with the pistol and then go to the sheriff's office to have it added to my permit. Make/Model/Caliber only, no serial number. I have made an appointment to qualify tomorrow evening, and will probably stop by the sheriff's office early next week to add the CW9 and my XD-9 to my permit. The XD will replace my Beretta 92F Compact as my daily carry in colder weather.

#15 ·
I was at a range once and saw this guy shooting about a foot low at 7 yards with a brand new Sig 229 .40. I asked him how he liked the gun, he said he just got it and it was great but the sights were all messed up. I asked what the problem was, he said it shot really low. I asked him if I could try it out, and put two shots where I wanted them. It was obvious to me before I started the conversation what was going on, but after introducing myself and trying it out it was much easier to convince him that it was his own error.

My little trick to accuracy is in the grip. If you squeeze too tight with your middle finger, it will effect your index finger as well. I get the web of my hand up high on the backstrap, then wrap my ring finger around the grip as tight as I can, leaving just enough room to wrap my middle finger under the trigger guard and around the grip. The best advice I ever got was from a CWO-2 and he said, "Hard on the sights, easy on the trigger."

#16 ·
I love my PM9 and think the CW9 is a great gun too.

I too broke in on revolvers and have no problems with the Kahr Trigger. I don't carry my Kahr much since I'm back to packing a blued steel wheelgun.

Biker :tumbleweed:

#17 ·
4th Range Session

Kahr CW9 9mm sub-compact: Range Report #4

April 07, 2007 -- Fourth range session.
Rounds -- 50 shots of WWB FMJ. 100 + 56 + 50 + 50 = 256 rounds total.
Goal -- Make sure accuracy issue is fully resolved.
Initial Field Strip and Cleaning -- Gun was cleaned and lubed afer the last range session.
Shots -- 50rds of WWB FMJ
Aim -- Accuracy issue is definitely resolved. I was picking off old shotgun shells at 30' without much trouble other than my own aim. From 15' I shot out the center of a B27 target. This is definitely a very accurate pistol.
Slide Action -- Very smooth and easy to use.
Jams/failures -- None.

These 50 rounds were the best yet. The aim was dead on, and this gun has a beautiful trigger pull. After this range session, I put another 30 rounds through the gun with a range-master to qualify the pistol for carry in NV. It's now added to my permit and will be my daily carry gun under a t-shirt.

#18 ·
I have a PM9 & I love its light weight & small size. It's shorter, thinner, & as light as my S&W 442.

I also learned how to shoot handguns with a revolver & still have my 1st handgun. I "bought" it before I was old enough to own one. It's a 1981 blued Dan Wesson 14-2 .357. I still have the 2.5" barrel & small checkered walnut grip that came with it.

But I'm getting off of the point. My point being that I notice many people learned on an auto & often a 1911 type or DA/SA type. A revolver &/or DAO like a Kahr, is very similar. You sure learn trigger control by shooting (or dry firing) them.

That being said, my Glocks have spoiled me. Other than a Rohrbaugh, I don't know of any other high quality 9mm auto in such a small & light package. The Rohrbaugh's are nearly twice the price too.

The Kel-Tec's are close, but I don't think the 9mm are as small, are they?

#19 ·
I'm glad you worked with your Kahr enough to keep it. I've had my CW9 about a year or so and it feels like it gets better every trip to the range. Zero malfunctions, FTFs or FTEs.

#21 ·
Really glad your Kahr CW9 worked out for you...I have one, and have been impressed with everything about it...nice trigger, super accuracy, and, although I've only shot the minimum 200 round break-in Kahr recommends, not a blip on the failure screen..this is the experience of another shooter I know, this will be my carry pistol.

Thanks for your diligent and careful reportage..... Best, Dave

#24 ·
the front sight is pinned to the top of the slide. i've never done much research into after-market sights, so i'm not sure what's out there for this kind of front sight. my front sight wasn't loose when i got it, nor has it loosened during my shooting.

#29 ·
Age , tho it is a step up in price the P9 can be had with nightsights ( either mepros or novaks depending on what you want to spend ) , and big dots are avalable for it as well for aftermarket . The main consumer difference between the cw and the p series is that the p is fully dovetailed to accept replacment sights . There are other differences also tho such as the amount of milling on the slide , polygonal vs conventional rifleing , and forged vs mim cast parts used in areas . A p series would be a caddy , a cw would be a buick to put it in car terms lol . The little cw series is a lot of gun for the money , but does not have the same features that the P series does . Decide what is important to you and pick the pistol that fits is my advise .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.