How Do You Conceal Your "1911" With a 5" Barrel?

This is a discussion on How Do You Conceal Your "1911" With a 5" Barrel? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my own case... 1) Condition One - 'Cocked & Locked' as a 1911 is designed to be carried 2) Both. One of my CCWs ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Conceal Your "1911" With a 5" Barrel?

In my own case...

1) Condition One - 'Cocked & Locked' as a 1911 is designed to be carried
    2) Both. One of my CCWs is stainless on a grey alloy frame and the other is full black not blued though.
    3) I find that concealed carry of a 5" is not all that more difficult than for a 4" in so far as fitment and concealment is concerned. Key is less so much the slide length in 5 vs. say 4 or 3 inches, but in the sizing of the frame. I feel that an officers length frame is best suited for CCW than a standard/govt. length frame. While I find a 4" slide, 'Commander' sized, is better than a 5" Govt. length for sake of draw. I carry both a 4" combo of Commander length slide & Officer sized frame 1911 and a 3.5" Colt 'Defender' which has an Officer length frame and a slightly shorter than Commander slide. They both conceal, function, point, and shoot very well for me regardless of season or clothing.

For relative comparison I'm 6'1" and have an athletic frame that varies season to season from a typical winter low of 155 to summer average of 175.
    As well I've had no problem with summer perspiration or discomfort in heat. If anythign for me the worst is when my sidearm or sparemag touches my skin as they are cold to the touch. As such I usually will wear a shirt or tanktop of some sort underneath whatever else I'm wearing to prevent the uncomfortable shock of cold metal touching my skin.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; April 2nd, 2007 at 03:25 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Don't mean to be off topic.but what the devil is a 'wife beater'?
    I believe it is either a tank top or a sleevless T-shirt of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Don't mean to be off topic.but what the devil is a 'wife beater'?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Wife beaters: The old white tank top style undershirts commonly worn by the subjects of domestic violence calls on the show "Cops."

They look entirely low class but when the weather gets hot and humid they're MUCH cooler than wearing a normal t-shirt under a cover shirt and there's nothing to bind or limit range of motion in the shoulders.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq

Course she looks better in that wife beater than i ever will

I.W.B with out holster

"Mexican Carry"- inside the waistband and belt, because I do not have a holster for it yet

1) Are you carrying it "cocked and locked"? yes
    2) Did you get stainless or blued? parker
    3) Is it awkward drawing a 5" as opposed to a 4" from the waist? I do not know, I only have a 5'' and it is not awkward to draw even with a cover garment

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Heck what were we talking about again? After that pic (twice) I done forgot...........

Oh thats right, full size 1911 carry.....now and back when I was a skinny lil fart, I carry them the same......Sparks Summer Special for 1911 and Don Hume for my Browning HP (when its my turn it will be a Brommeland). Always cocked and locked and almost always not silverish (just like my pistols to be dull color).

Ok now back to the shirt.....ya'al think my wife would get pissed if I asked her for her number?
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 2nd, 2007 at 08:49 PM.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

When I carry my 5" 1911 (Kimber Desert Warrior), it's OWB, strong-side, in a Tucker HF1, shown below, alongside the matching HF1 for the Ultra CDP II. Very comfortable and rasily concealable with a cover garment, which, for me, in South Texas, is usually an unbuttoned and untucked short sleeve shirt.

Edited to add: Always cocked & locked!

Last edited by rodc13; April 3rd, 2007 at 01:18 PM.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Currently, I carry mine in a C-tac behind the right hip.

ALWAYS carried cocked and locked. My gun is blued.

Not awkward to draw at all.

In colder weather I use a sport jacket to cover it.

In hot weather I have a problem with perspiration. At various competitions, I saw many people wearing those really tight Under Armor shirts under their regular T-shirts. It looked hot but they swore by them.

Well, I got one to try it out. I now have four.

I squeeze into the Under Armor shirt first (not a pretty sight). Then after donning the gun, I put either a baggy T-shirt on or an unbuttoned Hawaiian type shirt.

It may not work for everyone but it keeps this old fat guy cool and dry.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

It's just a matter of picking the right concealment garment

M2
    Like Rod I am also in San Antonio, and I usually carry my XD45ACP; but when I do carry my 1911 it is the same way...with a Uncle Mike's neoprene holster IWB at 5 o'clock. Usually I am in shorts (this is southcentral Texas, so it is usually hot!) and a dark XL t-shirt. I was wearing large t-shirts, but I felt the little extra size helps out. Plus it gives me "room to grow!"

Cheers! M2

I carry my Nighthawk Enforcer Recon with a Surefire x200 in a bladetech holster. I carry it at neutral cant and only conceal it with a vest. I find it no more difficult to draw than the commander that I used to carry.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    cocked and locked, good holster long t-shirt, vest, or jacket.

Stainless steel
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    I carry a 4" but would use the same set-up for a 5".

Cocked, locked and ready to rock!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

OD*
    'Cocked & Locked' as a 1911 is designed to be carried
    Not exactly. When it was first designed, Browning did not even incorporate a thumb safety. The gun that the Government fell in love with was the J. M. Browning designed M-1910;

Notice, it has no thumb safety at all. The US Calvary requested a safety of some sort be incorporated into the weapon system so that our mounted troopers would not have to let go of the reins to place the M1910 (M1911 w/ the safety) into a safe condition, Colt designers came up with the thumb safety. The C&L option was intended to be used only until the trooper was dismounted and could safely place the weapon in Condition 3 carry as called for by the military.

So technically, the idea of the cock & locked condition as we call it, originated with the US Calvary and was implemented by Colt and the Ordnance Department. So, I would think if J.M.B. had originally intended for in to be carried cocked & locked, it would have had that feature to begin with and not by the later incorporation at the behest of the US Government? The claim could be made that the M-1911 was designed to be carried C&L, just not by J.M.B., but I don't believe that to be true either. I think "Cocked & Locked" is just a side benefit of John Moses Browning's genius.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links