"The Judge"

"The Judge"

This is a discussion on "The Judge" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Taurus 4010, "The Judge" for the nite stand. As you all know, it shoots 410/45 Colt. Guess what it is loaded with. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Judge"

"The Judge"

I bought a Taurus 4010, "The Judge" for the nite stand. As you all know, it shoots 410/45 Colt. Guess what it is loaded with. You got it!! Two number 4's and 3 000's. Our new "Castle Doctrine" law goes into effect September 1, 2007.

Need some pictures on it!!!!!!!!!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

I've never seen a 410 revolver. That's bizarre, but in a cool way.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    And Taurus just came out with a new one that handles the 3" mag in 410, lol....and I'm gonna get me one. Guns mag wrote a comment that it just might be the perfect home defense gun, and I can see their point (if it was DAO). When I get mine I'll let ya know.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    i bought one of those about 2 months ago- i posted a short, sorta low-quality range report. the gun- at least mine- is accurate with 45 colt. i actually shot several quail with it. sort of a stunt, or what col cooper called a "feat of arms". mine is the 6 inch barrel blue one. quality is mediocre, finish wise, and i had a few cylinder lock-ups with the 410s, due to unburned powder or whatever. still, i like the thing, which is so ugly it is cute. lousy trigger, great grips.
    good luck with yours. but i would put 45 caliber ammo in it for defense.
    i will try to get my wife to take a digital picture of it.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

VIP Member
    Here are a few pics of mine. It is one of the first run - before they put "The Judge" on them. It is also one that was a special run for the distributor Sports South with 4" barrels. My cousin has one in stainless that is a later Sports South run and has "The Judge" on it.

I have had no trouble with mine other than sometimes having difficulty getting the .410 casing to eject. It is very accurate with the .45 Colt rounds. My stays loaded with three 000 .410 and two CCI Blazer 200 gr. JHP .45. The three 000 will fire first. This is my wife's house gun and her instructions are to use the 3 .410 rounds and if anyone is still moving use the .45 rounds on them. I hope this summer to do some more experimenting with other .410 rounds. I would like something with a few more pellets than the 000 which has 3. If I can find 00 or 0 I'll try them and post a review when I do.

When my cousin got his he decided to see what kind of penetration he would get, so he set up the top of a 55 gal. drum and fired from about 25'. The 000 put three very distinct dimples in the steel. On the back you could see that the steel had just begun to crack at the peak of the impression. The .45 JHP went through and made a hole about 3/4 inch in diameter. We both thought that the results were good. The 000 would not likely over penetrate nor go through walls if a pellet missed. The .45 should penetrate very well and expand very nicely.

It may not be the perfect home defense weapon, but it will definitely cause anyone in front of it to wish they were somewhere else.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I thought that anything that fired a shotgun shell was considered a shot gun and therefore had to meet min barrel lengths and such. Am I mistaken or is there a loophole?

Btw what kind of recoil do the shotgun shells offer? Never fired anything smaller than a 12 gauge and I would beleive that would be hard to handle in a pistol format.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Picture this...if somebody made a SPEEDLOADER...with 5 .410 rounds in in. A hoot, right?
    What Would Gumby Do?

Shadowsbane,
    The "loophole" is that the barrel is rifled. If it were a smmoth bore, it would be illegal. I haven't seen the Taurus so don't know how much rifling is in the barrel but I've seen several of the 45/410 Derringers and most with a 3" barrel have rifling in only the last 1/2" or so of the barrel.

"The Judge"

Sorry I couldn't furnish pictures. I know they speak volumns. I'm not familiar enough with this format to know how to put them in.

However, the pictures that were posted later are good ones. Mine has the 3" barrel, blue (beautiful finish).

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    And Taurus just came out with a new one that handles the 3" mag in 410, lol....and I'm gonna get me one. Guns mag wrote a comment that it just might be the perfect home defense gun, and I can see their point (if it was DAO). When I get mine I'll let ya know.

I can put 3" shells in mine, but haven't been able to reach the CO to ask if they can be fired. It looks like parts of the shot shell would prevent the cylinder from rotating . The only thing I've been able to determine from Taurus' web site is that you must use 2 1/2" shot shells for now.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Shadowsbane,
    The "loophole" is that the barrel is rifled. If it were a smmoth bore, it would be illegal. I haven't seen the Taurus so don't know how much rifling is in the barrel but I've seen several of the 45/410 Derringers and most with a 3" barrel have rifling in only the last 1/2" or so of the barrel.
    Ahh, I see then this one will probally be added to my list. little big for CC though maybe a good car gun.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member
    I have had no trouble with mine other than sometimes having difficulty getting the .410 casing to eject.
    How about using this?
    Golden Bearô .410 #4 Buckshot, Steel Case w/ Brass coating
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Ahh, I see then this one will probally be added to my list. little big for CC though maybe a good car gun.
    That is how this gun is being marketed by Taurus. Great close range weapon with longer range capabilities.

I will probably have to get one just to have it, but I am wanting a Raging Hornet right now too much to go after a Judge.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links