I just added a Colt Defender to my menagerie

This is a discussion on I just added a Colt Defender to my menagerie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's a redundant pistol. I already have a Kimber Ultra Carry II in 45 that functions flawlessly, so that may have to go, but after ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: I just added a Colt Defender to my menagerie

I just added a Colt Defender to my menagerie

It's a redundant pistol. I already have a Kimber Ultra Carry II in 45 that functions flawlessly, so that may have to go, but after handling my friend's Defender last week I thought I'd add another Pony to my collection, one I could carry in the Brommeland Holster I just purchased off of RDunaway yesterday

Colt and Talo have again teamed up to produce yet another spray painted pistol , this time calling it the Stone Grey Defender. I'll tell you though, it looks a lot better than their two-tone Night Defender IMO. And I like the grips. They appear to be very functional and not clothes grabbers.
    It has a nice undercut trigger guard and when I poked my head inside I noticed something I hadn't seen before. Colt has machined the barrel, not to be confused with throating, to meet the feed ramp. It still has that small gap like it's supposed to between the back of the barrel and the lip of the ramp, but they have basically created one long feed ramp into the chamber. Kind of nifty. When did they start doing that on these Officers? Maybe that's why less people seem to have problems with Officers in 45.
    The trigger isn't bad at all for a defensive gun, just a small amount of creep and a 5-3/4lb pull, but I'll still correct that later. I don't like to feel any creep when slow firing. And of course no tools required when field stripping, which is nice.

Fit and finish... err, paint job... seem pretty good. Range report to follow.

OD*, Bama61, mhl6493 and 15 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Looking good, PA.

Can you get pictures of the feed ramp/throat area? Don't know if it been done to the Officers, none of them have hit the market yet, AFAIK.
    PAcanis likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Looking good, PA.

Can you get pictures of the feed ramp/throat area? Don't know if it been done to the Officers, none of them have hit the market yet, AFAIK.
    Why cointanly.
    OD* likes this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Why cointanly.
    Thanks amigo!
    PAcanis likes this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

Man...that looks really good! I have always wanted a Defender. Maybe later.
    OD* and PAcanis like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Every time I open one of your threads it makes me so jealous I just want to.

Nice gun
    OD*, PAcanis, GaryB and 1 others like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    Great looking pistol and best of all its a Colt. Being redundant is my middle name. I have 2 defenders both shoot great 9mm and 45, 2 new agents both shoot great 9mm and 45. Also have an officer in 45. Looking for my 8th Colt this year.
    OD* and PAcanis like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabill View Post
    Great looking pistol and best of all its a Colt. Being redundant is my middle name. I have 2 defenders both shoot great 9mm and 45, 2 new agents both shoot great 9mm and 45. Also have an officer in 45. Looking for my 8th Colt this year.
    Hang on a little while, Colt is suppose to re-introduce the Officers ACP.
    PAcanis, Gabill and PhaedrusIV like this.

GaryB likes this.

Holy Cow, GAbill. That's a lot of little Colts
    OD* and Gabill like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Ah, I gotcha! Commonly referred to as the "dimpled" barrel throat. Michael E. Scheidel, Colt Product Engineering, developed that around '99/2000, (at the same time they went to the narrow hood barrel in all the Model Os) as he called them, "the scallops on either side of the bore independent of the feed ramp." The first Colt I bought with the dimpled barrel throat was in 2000 (the reproductions did not have either).

Excellent picture by the way.
    PAcanis likes this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    In case the question comes up, this is the "new" narrow hood barrel (used in Gold Cups for years previously) in a pre-2000 Colt, you can see the small gap in the upper right.

PAcanis and AzQkr like this.

Very interesting, OD. Like I said, maybe this is why fewer people had feeding issues with "Model O's"
    My new Defender does not have that barrel hood gap. At least not to that extent.

Thanks for the info!
    OD* likes this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    My new Defender does not have that barrel hood gap. At least not to that extent.

Thanks for the info!
    Correct, it wouldn't/shouldn't have the gap, the rear of the ejection port was resized to match the new barrels. The only time you "should" have a gap is when using a newer barrel in an older Model O. Which you could do, it's not much different than having the "slot" cut in the barrel to check for a loaded chamber, like some manufacturer's use, it's just in a different location.

FWIW, Colt also did away with carbon steel barrels at the same time the narrow/dimpled barrels were introduced (again, does not apply to the WWI, WWII reproductions).

Excellent info.
    OD* likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links