Am I forgetting any models?

This is a discussion on Am I forgetting any models? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Due to my extreme irresponsibility with all things money related, it's time to buy another gun! I'm looking for a new carry piece in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Am I forgetting any models?

Am I forgetting any models?

Due to my extreme irresponsibility with all things money related, it's time to buy another gun! I'm looking for a new carry piece in the compact to subcompact size range, 9mm, no manual safety, and under $1000 would be nice. It also has to be CT compliant. Although it will primarily serve in a carry role, I would like something that I can actually enjoy shooting rather than grimacing every time I pull the trigger.

So far I'm looking at the following:
    -FNS Compact
    -Sig P225-A1
    -Glock 19
    -Glock 26

Are there any other guns that you would recommend that I haven't looked at?

HK VP9
    M&P 9
    Walther PPQ.

All good choices.

FNS or the HK are on my list.
    “When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
    ― Ted Nugent

S&W M&P compact
    Sig 228/229/M11A1
    Sig P320 compact/subcompact
    HK P30SK

I have no idea what CT compliant entails.
    Ianthin likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Hexed9mm View Post
    HK VP9
    M&P 9
    Walther PPQ.

All good choices.

FNS or the HK are on my list.
    Those are all bigger than a G19.

Those are all considerably bigger than an FNH FNS9c or G26.

VIP Member
    I don't what your compliant guns are in your state. I would look at a 1911. If you don't own one or never shot one you will be surprised.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorMA View Post
    Those are all bigger than a G19.

Those are all considerably bigger than an FNH FNS9c or G26.
    Well there I go again reading G19 and getting finger happy.
    Completely neglected SUBCOMPACT
    “When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”
    ― Ted Nugent

VIP Member
    M&P 9C and Shield are a couple of my favorites in the "compact to subcompact" range.

I'm also a big fan of my Kahr CM9.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Glock 26 FDE :YUP:
    If you've got the need to spend more money to get closer to your limit, get a Zev trigger and some new sights for it.

How about a link to the few you can buy In that state . Can't be many from what I did find
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com

1911's forever !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    M&P 9C and Shield are a couple of my favorites in the "compact to subcompact" range.

I'm also a big fan of my Kahr CM9.
    M&P are great, I've been considering adding those to my list. My EDC is a Springfield XDS compact. Mine is in .45, but they have it in 9mm and .40 to choose from. I really enjoy shooting my XDS and it carries very comfortably, IWB or shoulder rig.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    S&W M&P compact
    Sig 228/229/M11A1
    Sig P320 compact/subcompact
    HK P30SK

I have no idea what CT compliant entails.
    I agree on the Sigs. The 229 and P320 are only fractionally wider than the 225-A, which BTW I would skip. Mags are hard to find right now and expensive when you do, and I don't know what holster availability is like just yet. I know the original will fit many 229/226 holsters, but not sure about the new one. For carry I'd rather have an older P6, and add my own sights and SRT kit. Plus mags are plentiful and not nearly as pricey.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

What the heck am I supposed to know about Connecticut compliant?!?
    Yet if a G19 is, then that's clearly MY suggestion!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpurdy0 View Post
    Due to my extreme irresponsibility with all things money related, it's time to buy another gun! I'm looking for a new carry piece in the compact to subcompact size range, 9mm, no manual safety, and under $1000 ...
    Quote Originally Posted by bpurdy0 View Post
    Being only 19 years of age, carrying a handgun isn't an option, as I can't even buy a handgun, let alone procure a carry permit.
    Have no idea what constitutes Connecticut-compliant, as for features, capacities, etc.

If the Glock 19 is CT-compliant, then I'm assuming most other standard-capacity, semi-auto pistols would be as well. Unless you indicate otherwise.

Am assuming this would be for carry once CT issues you a valid CHL, or you carry lawfully OC.

In the G19 category, if I were looking for something comparably capable I'd strongly consider the following:

• H&K P2000, or the P2000SK compact variant. In the LEM DAO format, it's without manual safety.
    • H&K P30, or the P30SK compact variant. In the LEM DAO format, it's without manual safety.
    • H&K VP9. Striker-fired alternative to the P30.
    • CZ 75 Compact, CZ P-01, CZ P-01 Omega Convertible, or the CZ D Compact PCR. All with decockers instead of manual safety, though the "convertible" P-01 swaps between the decocker and safety (a nice future-proofing feature, if you might change your mind).
    • Any of the SIGs with decocker or DAO (though I'm not that familiar with the SIG lineup, past or present).
    • Most any of the single- or double-stack variants of the third-generation S&W pistols. Discontinued, but fine sidearms. My own personal favorite is the 3913, for size, and the 3953 DAO for features. Any of the 3900, 5900 or 6900 series ought to do. If preferring the no-manual-safety option, look at the DAO variants.
    • S&W Shield, no-safety variant. Slim, reduced capacity from the other "compact" and full-size units one might consider. But a fine sidearm, with a premium on discreet carry.
    • Kahr K9 (K40 or K45, if you prefer another caliber). Amazing fit, slim carry design. Can't recommend the Kahr brand, myself, having been through too many of them that simply don't work for me. But, many have them and love them dearly. The K9 is sweet, if a bit heavy (being all steel) as compared to the "plastic fantastic" category of sidearms.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Another vote for HK P2000 LEM:

Use the flat base plate and it's G19 sized, 13+1 9mm (10+1 for you CT guys). LEM trigger is a DAO, that's more like a two staged trigger as the mainspring remains cocked. Imagine a DAO with a 5lb trigger pull. Currently the V2 in .40 is issued to the Border Patrol. Buds has them for $636 delivered to your FFL:

H&K 709202-A5 P2000 LEM 10+1 9mm 3.66" V2 $636.00 SHIPS FREE

I am impressed with mine in .40 so far.

Chuck
    ccw9mm and Wunderneun like this.
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    Used Walther P5, P99 Compact, PPS, SIG-Sauer P239, P228.
    Last edited by Wunderneun; February 2nd, 2016 at 08:03 PM.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links