Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 9mm

Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 9mm

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, lets hear the dope on the SA ultra compact in 9mm... I keep hearing reliability issues on sub 4" 1911 models but have also ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 9mm

Question Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 9mm

Alright, lets hear the dope on the SA ultra compact in 9mm...

I keep hearing reliability issues on sub 4" 1911 models but have also heard that these are very sweet shooters with no problems! whats the deal? I know 9mm is a small round and i'm probobly going to take some flack for it, but frankly im a college student and I would rather shoot more often than shoot less frequently and be less proficiant. info on this gun is hard to come by, there was a few threads on it but they dident give me enough info to make me feel comfortable buying one (especially with my limited income). This weapon would become my primary carry (hence I need to know it is going to go bang every time I pull the trigger) replacing an XD-9.

Thanks in advance - Tower.
    "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it"
    -Winston Churchill

"Walk softly and carry a big stick"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Sometimes there is justice... Most of the time there is just-us

I haven't shot one yet but the range where I shoot has two of them that show up routinely. Both people seem very happy with them. I have a SA Micro .45 and have not experienced any of the supposed problems with the 3" guns.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I looked at getting the Ultra Compact. The model I handled had the factory Hogue grips on it, not the thinline cocobolo hardwood grips, and they made the gun feel rather bulky. The "Loaded" fit and finish were great, but the grips deterred my purchase. With the thinline cocobolo's, it would probably be excellent.

FWIW, I have a Para Slim Hawg (3" in .45). While it's a different manufacturer, I have had no mechanical problems, like ELCruisr mentioned with his SA Micro.

I have an Ultra Compact in .45 ACP...Flawless function.

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry and a Charles Daly 3". I have had no function issues with either.
    str1

I have a XD9 subcompact and a XD40 compact. XD's are really great guns and safer than Glocks. The XD9 compact is not what I would consider a lightweight (26 oz) gun for carrying though. Sure, the barrel is shorter, but it's still sort of beefy. I carry a Kahr PM9 most of the time.
    Last edited by LockNLoad; April 4th, 2007 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LockNLoad View Post
    I have a XD9 subcompact and a XD40 compact. XD's are really great guns and safer than Glocks.
    Last thing I want to do is start a flame war and I agree that XD's are great guns but why would an XD be that much safer than a Glock? I shoot with a guy that has one and the only other external safty is the "palm grip" safety and he says that he depresses it every time he reholsters so that would not help any for re holstering. After it is drawn and in your hand they are both ready to fire at that point.

I think they are both fine guns but with out a "thumb flip" style safty (that some people enjoy) I do no think it is any safer.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

The S/A Micro-Compact 45 is my daily carry....... I love it. It did take a bit of time to find hollow points that if fedd without a hitch though.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Thanks for the info guys, im glad to hear most have not had problems with them. My XD is a great firearm and functions flawlessly every time, but as with all I seem to have gotten the famed "1911 itch" the just needs scrachin'. I am willing to spend alot of time on the range finding well feeding ammo (oh gosh, how horible that will be...) but it makes me feel better most are functioning without a hitch. Thanks
    "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it"
    -Winston Churchill

"Walk softly and carry a big stick"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Sometimes there is justice... Most of the time there is just-us

XD is safer than Glocks because of the palm safety. A palm safety is a great feature. I don't worry about accidental discharges.
    Last edited by LockNLoad; April 5th, 2007 at 12:08 PM.

Tower,

I have a Colt 'Defender' and it's been functioning at a 100% rate.

The SA EMP though is not a .45 nor even a 1911 per se but a ground up completely fresh design based on the 1911 and styled the same though specifically developed to run 9MM.
    The commonly reported issues toward short barrel 1911s is applicable to .45 ACP and not this unit in specific.

All reports I've read indicate that the EMP is one nice package.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

To the guys discussing the merits of XDs, this thread is regarding the SA Ultra Compact 1911.

Ooops...^^

I thought he was referring to the EMP.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=24

Disregard what I'd said earlier.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    Last thing I want to do is start a flame war and I agree that XD's are great guns but why would an XD be that much safer than a Glock? I shoot with a guy that has one and the only other external safty is the "palm grip" safety and he says that he depresses it every time he reholsters so that would not help any for re holstering. After it is drawn and in your hand they are both ready to fire at that point.

I think they are both fine guns but with out a "thumb flip" style safty (that some people enjoy) I do no think it is any safer.

Glocks are great guns especially the 22 in my opinion,
    and by far they are easier to get parts for.
    But a gun having one more safety than another has got to be safer
    logically.
    Springfield saw the Glock and added something to make it just a little safer by adding the Grip Safety.
    I agree that a reholstering problem might not be totally safe, but deffinetly safer.
    Also, if a toddler pickes up either one, the likely hood of a discharge
    would be easier with the Glock since there is no pressure required on the grip.

As 0.02 said, we're discussing the Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 1911, not XDs or Glocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links