Glock drop

This is a discussion on Glock drop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has there ever been a time when a glock discharged when dropped?Is it possible for this to happen? I'm refering to a generation three....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock drop

Glock drop

Has there ever been a time when a glock discharged when dropped?Is it possible for this to happen? I'm refering to a generation three.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I've never heard of one, even Gen 1 was designed to be safe in the event of dropping, remember, the firing pin isn't actually cocked (per sa) untill you pull the trigger.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Administrator
    Ditto: The act of pulling the trigger rearward is what fully cocks the Glock Firing pin so I would say that could not happen due to the unique design of the detonation mechanism.

OK it's QKShooter Worthwhile Addition Time
    This is A Law Enforcement & Security Briefing written by a Glock Armorer.
    I cannot post any of this article here directly due to strict copyright issues so you'll have to Click Here to read it.
    It's nicely written and it's VERY worth reading.

Click the above LINK & Read the entire article or just scroll down to:
    "One of the systems I appreciate even more now are the combination of safety mechanisms in every GLOCK pistol."
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 4th, 2007 at 10:51 AM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Has there ever been a time when a glock discharged when dropped?Is it possible for this to happen? I'm refering to a generation three.
    The reason why glock triggers are a little slushy is when you start to pull the trigger your actually setting the firing mechanism. Glocks are probably one of the safest pistols ever made. They do what they are supposed to. When you pull the trigger they go bang. When you drop them they don't, when you bang them around they still go bang when you pull the trigger and they still don't go bang when you drop them.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Thanks for the info. I've had this gun a short time and was not sure of it.

I feel very comfortable with my Glocks. I wouldn't have a problem loading them up and playing ice hockey with them! They're that good!

VIP Member
    Glocks are tough...............

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=22130

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...iew&id=90&Item

Try that with any other handgun.......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I mentioned this on another post at one time.

My carry class instructor had a G22 loaded. He chambered a round in the class room... then tossed it on the floor. I was thinking of the insurance liability and "what if's" when he picked it up and rolled it end over end across the floor into a wall.

While I would never do that, it made a vivid impression and I have even more faith in Glock.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    I mentioned this on another post at one time.

My carry class instructor had a G22 loaded. He chambered a round in the class room... then tossed it on the floor. I was thinking of the insurance liability and "what if's" when he picked it up and rolled it end over end across the floor into a wall.

While I would never do that, it made a vivid impression and I have even more faith in Glock.
    Maybe so, but that would have pissed me off. Was the muzzle pointed at you guys when he threw it? There is no need for that to prove the design is safe.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I'd be curious about which modern handguns MIGHT be likely to discharge when dropped, other than obvious junkers. Anyone here ever experience a drop fire? I've never had it happen, seen it happen, or heard from someone who actually had it happen.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Maybe so, but that would have pissed me off. Was the muzzle pointed at you guys when he threw it? There is no need for that to prove the design is safe.
    I wouldn't like that myself. And, you're 100% right - "There is no need for that to prove the design is safe."
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    [QUOTE=kylebce;333488]I mentioned this on another post at one time.

My carry class instructor had a G22 loaded. He chambered a round in the class room... then tossed it on the floor. QUOTE]

Thats not an instructor...thats an idiot given permission by someone to teach. When will people learn that that type activites just are plainly dumb. Not to long ago a during a recruit class at a police acadamy the desiginated trainer did a similiar stunt and ended up killing a trainee. "Gee it never happened before". Dumb luck runs out and it usually ends up killing or seriously injuring someone when its done with a weapon.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Geez...I might try that with a blank round or something...maybe...in a more controlled and effective manner. (put in vise, let students smack with rubber mallet?) No need to violate safe weapons handling to make a dramatic point...

I trust my life to my G23. I know it is going to fire every time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    I'd be curious about which modern handguns MIGHT be likely to discharge when dropped, other than obvious junkers. Anyone here ever experience a drop fire? I've never had it happen, seen it happen, or heard from someone who actually had it happen.
    If I had a dollar for every time I've "drop tested" one of my carry guns I'd at least have fifty dollars to spend.

I agree that most modern handguns are not going accidentally fire.

I carry a 1911 and I've cringed when that's hit concrete but never once feared it was going to discharge.

I've had them fall on carpet, title, linoleum, concrete, you name it.

In the 1911 you have the grip safety that keeps the trigger from being pulled to the rear and the thumb safety locks both the sear and the hammer into place so that neither can move until it's disengaged.

Even if you HAPPENED to drop it with the thumb safety off and it just HAPPENED to fall on the grip safety just right and there just HAPPENED to be something to jar the trigger..... Well, you'd probably be more likely to be struck my lightning AND be subject to a shark attack in Ohio in one day before you'd have that kind of bad luck.

And yes, pulling the trigger on the glock is part of "cocking" it. If you ask me, unless you pull that trigger, your glock isn't going to fire. They are pretty darned safe guns.. Now, you get some moron who starts yanking on triggers.. THEN you have a problem!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links