Kel-Tec P3AT Reliability

Kel-Tec P3AT Reliability

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec P3AT Reliability within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are your general opinions of P3AT's? Has anyone who owns a P3AT had a lot of reliability issues? Does anyone trust them enough to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Kel-Tec P3AT Reliability

What are your general opinions of P3AT's? Has anyone who owns a P3AT had a lot of reliability issues? Does anyone trust them enough to use for you primary carry?
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Eddie search this forum and I am sure that you will find plenty of threads on the Kel-Tec. It has been a popular topic recently. As far as your question....the jury is still out on mine. I need to put more rounds through it. I have carried it around the house and as a BUG to my Sig.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    When it's warm and/or hot out, it's my primary. I've put about 2,000 rounds through mine in it's very short life, and I haven't had a single misfire. I know it's gonna go bang when I pull the trigger.

When I want more firepower, I carry my G27.... also very reliable.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Thanks Doc. I just picked one up and plan on carrying it as a BUG to my Glock 23
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

I ran 250 rounds thru it, using two mags. The rounds were the old 90gr fed hyshoks. NO failures of any kind. Now, it rides as a secondary gun in a Desantis Nemisis front pocket holster.

Dan

I have over 2,000 rds thru my 1st gen P3AT.

No problems at all.
    02PSD4ME

P3AT reliability

My limited experience is contrary to much of what I've read on here, and I am by no means an expert on the subject. I own two P3AT's with sequential serial numbers, originally bought for my wife and myself as potential CCW pieces.

I have not done the fluff and buff or even a field strip, but I have done cleaning/lubrication without disassembling the guns. On my first range trip I fired ~70 rounds through each pistol. The first one seemed to have a FTF about once per mag or once every other mag. I was also trying to maintain good shooting posture and not limp-wristing. The second pistol was much worse, giving a failure perhaps multiple times per magazine. The slide would not fully close forward as each round was cycled into place. Again, I was trying to maintain a stiff grip.

I'm pretty sure a good disassembly (field strip) and lubrication should help things, but all in all I was not impressed with out of the box reliability.

My wife and I continue to use revolvers for CCW. YMMV.

Yes, I trust mine!! And it is what I carry in warm weather, which is about 9 months a year here.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I just got mine today, went to the backyard and shot 14 rounds through it, by far not enough to even get an impression, except for the fact that by golly it hit where I pointed much better than I anticipated, (about 15 yards.) I liked the way it shoots, and am anxious to get it fully broken in!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I've got about 1000 rounds through my 1st Gen. Not one single malfunction. Ever. My young bride has a 2nd Gen w/ about 300 rounds. Same story. It ain't pretty, it ain't elegant, but it is what it is.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
    I have not done the fluff and buff or even a field strip, but I have done cleaning/lubrication without disassembling the guns. On my first range trip I fired ~70 rounds through each pistol. The first one seemed to have a FTF about once per mag or once every other mag. I was also trying to maintain good shooting posture and not limp-wristing. The second pistol was much worse, giving a failure perhaps multiple times per magazine. The slide would not fully close forward as each round was cycled into place. Again, I was trying to maintain a stiff grip.

I'm pretty sure a good disassembly (field strip) and lubrication should help things, but all in all I was not impressed with out of the box reliability.

No offense, but that is possibly the most useless post i have ever seen. How are you cleaning and lubricating without disassembling the guns (squirting with windex, wiping the exterior down with pledge, a Q-tip down the barrel, moms spit bath with a kleenex)? You do realize that the moving parts of a gun are on the inside. No gun can be expected to operate properly without proper preparation.

Sorry for the vent!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brett30030 View Post
    No offense, but that is possibly the most useless post i have ever seen. How are you cleaning and lubricating without disassembling the guns (squirting with windex, wiping the exterior down with pledge, a Q-tip down the barrel, moms spit bath with a kleenex)? You do realize that the moving parts of a gun are on the inside. No gun can be expected to operate properly without proper preparation.

Sorry for the vent!
    There are no such thing as a useless posts around here...
    Only useless insults that don't further our discussions here.

A firearm can be cleaned (although not as throughly I'll admit) without breaking it down. Ever heard of wiping down the exterior with an oil treated rag? Ever ran a bore brush or a patch through when you didn't have time to diassemble for a more through cleaning? Ever locked a pistol back in slide lock and squirted a little oil on the rails, the barrel, and the guide rod and then worked the action to spread the oil around?
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; April 5th, 2007 at 12:25 AM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

To clarify without being too long-winded, my clean/lubrication without disassembly involved removing mag and holding slide back to minimally reach the internals. My purpose was not to cause adverse reaction; rather it was to provide an accurate description of my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    ...Not one single malfunction. Ever...It ain't pretty, it ain't elegant, but it is what it is.
    Roger that. I have about 300 through my 2nd Gen P3AT. No problems and no fluff & buff. Although I do take it apart to clean it.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

love my p3at. after breakin it has been the best. do the f&b and you will be happy. also the belt clip is one good item.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links