O' Wise Ones, your assistance is requested

This is a discussion on O' Wise Ones, your assistance is requested within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My ccw permit is still several weeks off in Utah politic land. I have pretty much determinded that I will go with the Kimber Ultra ...

Thread: O' Wise Ones, your assistance is requested

My ccw permit is still several weeks off in Utah politic land.

I have pretty much determinded that I will go with the Kimber Ultra CDP II as primary carry (Thanks retsupt in Florida)

I have been following recent discussions about a back-up gun and have narrowed it down to the SW 642 or 442. The problem is I have a large hand, and a hefty body. The local gun store tonight showed me his 642 with the longer grip for the 638. Have any of you ever tried this? What is you opinion?

Attached Images

holster for SW 642

any suggestions for a nice holster 1) for pocket carry and 2) the other inside the belt

Administrator
    I'm a tad confused... are we comparing guns, or just the grip?

If we are talking grips, we might as well debate what size shoe is better. It all depends on you, and what it feels like to you. Both will conceal well, I wouldnt worry about that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Had a S&W 442 for years. Without long, full pockets (ie cargo style of a certain size), it's pretty darned hard to conceal a 442-sized snubbie with a monster grip. That grip makes all the difference, in terms of being able to safely and reliably handle the recoil of a stout load (if going .357), but it makes it far tougher to conceal.

Suggestion: If you go with an ultralight snubbie, you'll likely find control to be far better with the larger grip, but that won't conceal anywhere near as well as the standard boot grips. If you buy a heavier snubbie (ie, the Ruger SP101), you'll get much of that control back simply via the gun's weight, and you may find it easier to control even with the small-ish grips. A compromise grip might be the Craig Spegel grips, which are a bit larger than the boot grips, but nicely crafted with finger grooves and still small enough to conceal well. Here's a web page with some grip options: click here. Another option for a snubbie might be the S&W 940, a 9mm revolver. Or, you can go the route of changing your pants to a style that has a larger, concealment-friendly type of pocket.

Me, I choose the latter. Concealment drives everything. In my case, the 442's control did suffer a little, given the need to stick with the standard boot grips in order to manage concealment in the pockets I had. Now, I strictly purchase one kind of pants that has a large, concealment-friendly size/style of pocket. Pocket carry with a J-frame snubbie with large grips is simple, with these pants (Cabela's 7-pocket Hiker pants).

In fact, with these pants, I can nearly conceal a 7.2" long CZ P01 in there. Makes for a bit deeper "dive" when fishing for the KelTec P3AT, to be sure, but it effectively conceals darned near anything. A great holster can make all the difference, here. With my old S&W 442, I had the perfect Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy, which worked in jeans, Dockers or this "Hiker" style pant. With the CZ, I go IWB or OWB, but with the KelTec I've got a K&D Pocket Defender holster that works very well.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 5th, 2007 at 02:52 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just the grip

In essence the 640 grip adds about <1" onto the 642

One nice thing about a J Frame is the multitude of grip options. The ones that ended up working best for me were a set made by Altamonte Grips. Still slim line but just a little longer with grooves and a small projection just barely enough to hang my pinkie on. Still goes in a pair of jeans. Get the gun you like and then you'll have no trouble experimenting with grips, they collect in drawers sort of like holsters....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I had the longer style exactly like that on my J frame, and it was indeed easier to shoot and much easier to draw from of an IWB holster. Problem was, I wanted to carry in in an ankle holster, too, so I went to the shorter, Bantam grip. I guess it depends on how you plan to carry it (holster and location) and clothing style and type.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Depends on carry mode

The answer to your question depends on how you carry the gun. With pocket or ankle carry of a J frame airweight, you pretty well have to use boot grips to keep it concealed, and just put up with a two finger grip on the gun.

With any type of belt carry you can use the longer, 3-finger grips and it won't matter on concealment. But these plastic or hard rubber grips are cheap and easy to switch over, so you can buy one of each and experiment.

One interesting compromise is the Hogue "Bantam" grip, which attempts to split the difference between a boot grip and a longer grip. This grip is "boot" length in the back, but has a small extension that gives a place for your third finger to rest in front. I use these on a K frame model 66 and they work well. They are also available for J frames like you are considering.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm a tad confused... are we comparing guns, or just the grip?

If we are talking grips, we might as well debate what size shoe is better. It all depends on you, and what it feels like to you. Both will conceal well, I wouldnt worry about that.
    Eye need help on that subj..........................

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I love a small revolver for back up. My model 36 wears Crimson Trace grips (the only weapon I have a laser on) and find it shootable. CT makes a larger grip for you mamoth hand guys which is a good option. To me, laser and J frame are a perfect match. When you reach for a back up your either in deep do-do or your arming someone else who might not have an indepth shooting skills (in my case a long term pastor friend who was a ride-a-long when the night went oops). Either way it needs to be simple. In the wise words of one of my former firearm instructors.....Get it out....Get it up and Get it off.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Ron
    I have a 642 with Model 405 Crimson Trace Laser Grips, and it fits in cargo shorts or pants with no problem in a Mika pocket holster.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have a 642 with Model 405 Crimson Trace Laser Grips, and it fits in cargo shorts or pants with no problem in a Mika pocket holster.

Ron
    +1 on the Mika. Love mine and he's a great guy to deal with. I've also seen a couple pocket holsters by MNBurl that might suit you ... give him a PM.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    If you plan on carrying a Revo for Backup - get used to the
    idea of a small light gun with a modest grip.

If you're already packing a medium auto , holster , and extra mag, not
    to mention possibly a cellphone - small flashlight - or pocket knife ,
    you won't have a lot of choices where to carry a backup , and
    you DON'T want anything that will restrict your movement or
    clothing choice further.

A LOT of Cops (big and small ) have carried a service gun AND a J Frame with skinny grips.

It worked for them - it can work for you.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    I was gonna vote for the 642 but then I noticed the "O Wise Ones" so disregard!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links