Low recoil for concealed carry??

This is a discussion on Low recoil for concealed carry?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How about a Glock 26 9mm?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low recoil for concealed carry??

VIP Member
    How about a Glock 26 9mm?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

S&W Airweight 6 shot .32 H&R Magnum

I'd suggest you give a 9mm a try. Something like the Glock 26 should do very well for you.

Personally I carry a 442 as a BUG and find the recoil negligable compared to a 640 in .357 Magnum.

Biker

Beretta Cheetah 84

Quote Originally Posted by acroreef View Post
    What is the largest capacity mag in a .22 mag, .32 or 380 in a high quality gun?
    For .380, probably the Beretta model 84 Cheetah, with a 13 round magazine.

Beretta Cheetah 84

You could load/buy some wadcutters for the .38. Low recoil and pretty effective as a defensive round. Gotta remember, low recoiling guns are generally low powered as well. It's all a trade off. You have to decide which is more important to you, low recoil, or adequate power.
    str1

Quote Originally Posted by acroreef View Post
    I am in the market for a top quality gun for concealed carry. Does anyone make a semi-auto with very low recoil in anything larger than a .22?
    There are dozens upon dozens.

Questions: How do you intend to carry it, and will your covering garments be sufficient to conceal any gun? IWB can conceal a very large pistol, whereas pocket carry limits the size dramatically.

The most-concealable large gun I've shot is one I carried for some years: a Browning BDM 9mm. It's nearly 8" long, but it's only 31oz and extremely flat/thin. Given the weight, with a minor change to a stainless guide rod, it has very little recoil even when loaded with hot 9mm +P rounds. I shoot it with DoubleTap 124gr +P's @ 470 ft-lbs and 1300 fps. Does a lot of damage to a side of beef, yet has far less recoil than a 3" heavy revolver. This BDM (sadly, discontinued and much-disliked by gunsmiths) is a good example of how a good gun can match the mode of carry and garments to result in an exceptional option.

I've been admiring a Springfield Micro Compact .45ACP at the shop, the past month or two. Folks seem to like how it shoots. It fits well in the hand; it's slim, for a .45; it points very well. It's nearly small enough to fit in the pocket, with the right cargo-style pockets, though it's a perfect match for a good IWB holster. Relatively light, too.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    For .380, probably the Beretta model 84 Cheetah, with a 13 round magazine.

Beretta Cheetah 84

Very nice little pistol. A friend of mine has one in the all blued finish and it's a handy little pistol. Still a little under the power curve for my tastes being .380, but it's certainly better than throwing rocks! I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but he has had it at the range and says it's very friendly and pretty accurate out to 10-12 yards for self defense use.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

for all the parameters you've listed, i picked the sw9ve (the much maligned s&w sigma in a 9mm). it's light, relatively compact, d/a only, shoots well with very low recoil, and is inexpensive; i paid less than $400, brand new, at gander mountain. here's a pic w/some knives for size perspective:

VIP Member
    You just need a 32-38 oz handgun and any non magnum from 9mm to .45acp will not have too much recoil.

I know that some people are against them for concealed carry, but you might also try a ported pistol. I have an XD 40 ported model that has very light recoil. I also have a Colt .45 that my father had Magnaported and it also has light recoil. Some people say that the flash at night blinds you, but I have fired night courses and even non ported pistols will destroy your night vision, so I will take the lighter recoil and faster follow up shots any day with a ported pistol. I know that several companies including Glock and XD's can be purchased already ported. Something to check into. Good luck.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Is there an industry standard on how to measure the recoil on a weapon?

I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP with a 3 inch barrel and people say that the shorter the barrel the more recoil you get but I don't think it kicks that bad at all. I was shooting my brother in-laws 45 revolver with a 7 inch barrel and it seemed to kick more but the grip was much smaller and I could not get as good of a grip on the gun.

I would think that there would be a industry standard where they would place the weapon in a vice like tool and measure the recoil back wards and up as well and then publish the recoil in the tech specs.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I would think that there would be a industry standard where they would place the weapon in a vice like tool and measure the recoil back wards and up as well and then publish the recoil in the tech specs.
    Be careful throwing around those good ideas now! Problem would be recoil with which round? My .45 SA Micro isn't bad with 230 gr Gold Dots but you stoke 'er up with 200 gr +P EFMJ and she's a handfull.

For original poster, what about just taking a few hours at a range that rents pistols and giving them a try? If they have a gun store there as well they would probably be glad to work with you if you let them know you're there to try and buy. You might find several 9mm's that would work and certainly some .380's.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

+1 on the idea of a 148 grain wadcuttter for your airweight. Very little recoil and a viable defense round. Also very accurate. I'd suggest you try the Federal Gold Match wadcutter.

+1, tanksoldier! I practice with an old s&w mod 34 bought in about 1965 & and a mod 49 from 1980's. Carry is 638 for bottom of pocket. Works for me!
    I.C.E.?? dial 1 911 !!!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Recoil depends more on ammo used and the weight of the gun than anything else. Heavier guns with lighter ammo are usually the best combination to minimize recoil.

In a semiauto, 9mm is the lightest caliber most people will use for serious defense, and if you combine that with an all metal gun like the Sig P229, which weighs 32 ounces empty, you won't have much recoil. I have a P229 in .40 caliber, an energetic round, and it is not bad. If you buy the gun in 9mm and shoot regular velocity ammo, you don't have much recoil at all. And the gun is small enough to be easily concealed in the right belt holster.

+1

Except I recommend the P228 in 9mm. I hardly notice any recoil at all...because there isn't much!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links