Low recoil for concealed carry??

This is a discussion on Low recoil for concealed carry?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Smith 3913, 9mm, pre-rail. Flat, easy to conceal....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Low recoil for concealed carry??

Smith 3913, 9mm, pre-rail.
    Flat, easy to conceal.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

2. Remove Ads

It all depends on your definition of recoil. When my son and daughter were much younger (12 and 14), they both preferred my Kimber .45 compact over my Ruger P89 9mm. They said the Ruger kicked more and wasn't as accurate. I agreed and sold the Ruger. Try a variety of guns and calibers and see what works for you. Don't automatically assume a smaller caliber will give you less recoil. In my opinion, my .38 S&W 642 recoils about the same as my .45.

Good luck in your search!
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

I also had a SW Airweight and HATED IT...so I traded it in on a Bersa Thunder .380. WOW what a differance...the .380 is very easy to shoot, and the Bersa is very accurate at short range. Now the .380 is a bit small but hey it beats throwing rocks. I use it when I need something ultra-conceled. My normal EDC is a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander....

EAJ
    I have a Bersa Thunder .380 concealed carry with 8 round magazine which is very reliable and a pleasure to shoot. They go for approximately $250 online. I don't think anyone has mentioned the CZ 83 .380. I have the nickel version, with 12 round magazine. It’s a handsome handgun, very reliable and low recoil. About $340 online.

Instead of going with a smaller firearm, why not try out some of the "low recoil" ammunitions, like these:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe...eywords=recoil

Less expensive to try one or two boxes than to buy another weapon, although the "another weapon" thing may be worth it in and of itself.
    pax
    pt

Every few weeks I find another person complaining about the "recoil" of a handgun, the pain, the discomfort....

Look at it this way.... if you want to do a bunch of target shooting, and want close to "no" recoil, then stick with a .22 - however, if you want something to protect your life, or the life of somebody you care about, then buy and carry and practice with the biggest pistol you can carry.

I've read too many articles, too many posts, and heard too much crap over the years about guns that were too heavy, or the trigger was too hard to pull, or the recoil was too harsh, and these comments were almost always about handguns in the under .357/.40 range!!

Does anybody think for once instance that some crack-head, meth-addict, criminal-type person gives a crap about recoil?? Do you think they care about the length of trigger pull??? - - WAKE UP!!!

These people will kill you without any thought or remorse. It is your responsibility to protect yourself, to protect your family.

There are a variety of handguns to choose from - the least of which should be a choice that you can have on or about your person "24/7". - - A .380 in your pocket is better than a .45 left at home!!
    NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

كافر | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ | WOLVERINES!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan223 View Post
    ... heard too much crap over the years ... Does anybody think for once instance that some crack-head, meth-addict, criminal-type person gives a crap about recoil?? Do you think they care about the length of trigger pull??? - - WAKE UP!!!
    What a crack head thinks about recoil on my gun isn't at issue. My ability to manage my gun's output is. And what a crack head thinks of his own recoil doesn't impact my ability to manage my recoil problem, other than increasing my immediate desire to manage it well. The sooner a newbie person getting comfortable with a gun's characteristics wakes up to this reality, the better.

As with anyone, there's going to be a fine line between what I'm able to handle and what I'm not, given the gun, the ammo, my strength, my skill, and the frequency of my practice.

The simple point is: everyone's mix of these characteristics is different. Putting aside desire, for a moment, which can certainly change the equation when the chips are down, not everyone can actually manage effective follow-on shots with all guns. At some point, recoil becomes an issue. It's not crap. It's physics. It's all too real.

Now, that said, I have shot a number of different guns, ranging from .22 to .50cal. For me, .357mag in a snubbie S&W scandium revolver is about the stoutest thing this side of a .44mag Derringer-style, two-shot pistol. But put those same hot .357mag rounds in a heavier Ruger 4" revolver, I'm fine. By comparison, practically any round in existence works just peachy in my CZ P01 9mm ... and I've tried dozens of hot loads. Not a problem with managing recoil.

The reality: I'll be more effective defending with my CZ P01 9mm with any load than a .44mag Derringer with any load, and more effective than with a lightweight .357mag snubbie revolver (which I can't hit reliably within 5yds, with hot loads).

Most folks who don't shoot constantly will find a similar continuum of ability depending on the equipment.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ...The reality: I'll be more effective defending with my CZ P01 9mm...
    Well, there's your answer. Carry the CZPO1 9mm, and don't disrespect other people's questions or responses. You've found the perfect handgun for YOU. Carry it, enjoy it and move on.

As I stated earlier, as a firearms instructor for a Boy Scout troop, NRA, etc., the key is to "get over" the fear of recoil. Hollyweird has en-grained the wrong aspects of firearms use in most people over the past 50 years. Embrace the "punch" the "POWER" feel the "power" of the gun - enjoy the thrill and recognize the fact that the meth-head trying to rape/murder you is laying in a pool of blood - dead, and you are alive to enjoy another day on God's green earth.
    NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

Well, there's your answer. Carry the CZPO1 9mm, and don't disrespect other people's questions or responses. You've found the perfect handgun for YOU. Carry it, enjoy it and move on.

As I stated earlier, as a firearms instructor for a Boy Scout troop, NRA, etc., the key is to "get over" the fear of recoil. Hollyweird has en-grained the wrong aspects of firearms use in most people over the past 50 years. Embrace the "punch" the "POWER" feel the "power" of the gun - enjoy the thrill and recognize the fact that the meth-head trying to rape/murder you is laying in a pool of blood - dead, and you are alive to enjoy another day on God's green earth.
    If you are an instructor than you should know that some people have limitations effected by recoil and no, they are not going to get over it. In my younger days my favorite rifles were a 7MM Remington Magnum and a .303 Enfield Jungle Carbine. An afternoon on the range with a 12 gauge was fun. In pistols a 44 mag or a Thompson Center a friend had in .30 Herret or 30-30 was a blast! Literally!!! Now I'm older and have arthritis in my shoulder and hands, a torn rotator and those days are gone. I still can handle a J-Frame airweight in +P.38 and my .45 but no more big stuff.

I'll also argue with you that a nice group of .380 from a well controlled shooter beats a missed .44 because the shooter is flinching because of the pain he knows he's about to experience from previous use. Many can also not afford three day weekends at professional training programs. I'd rather see someone armed with a weapon they know they can use controllably than flinching and scattering stuff all over the block. This is the real world and we are, many of us, way past the age of a bunch of scouts.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    If you are an instructor than you should know that some people have limitations effected by recoil and no, they are not going to get over it.
    Exactly so. Recoil isn't a fantasy, to many (most?). It's physics and cannot be wished away. Ignorable by Boy Scouts? Probably, with enough focus and guidance. They're young, impressionable, recover quickly, and the goal of training them is to create a basis for building on future learning, which cannot be effective unless fears are overcome (despite realities, in some cases). But does that same thinking apply to folks with actual physical limitations, to weaker/smaller folks not strong enough to handle a given piece of equipment, etc.? Not necessarily, no.

Carry the CZPO1 9mm, and don't disrespect other people's questions or responses.
    And yet, the real world includes all sorts of folks who don't have the abilities of health/whole Boy Scouts. Torn rotator cuffs, damaged legs, illnesses ... life takes its toll, allowing the physical reality of recoil to reclaim much of its lost territory.

"Disrespect" for other people's questions or responses? Inferred from the mere questioning of the logic or rationale of a position? You're making much from little. I doubt the conclusions based on the logical fallacy that one unique group's experience applies to all (aka, a biased sampling, when results are inferred to apply to a larger sample). I'll put it simply: questioning logic isn't disrespectful. It's to be expected, when making logical claims. This is a forum, where dialog happens. Welcome to the real world.

That, in a nutshell, is why we're all here. To offer up scenarios, pose questions, dispel myth and conjecture, identify erroneous or fallacious logical argument ... in the search for truth.

One's thoughts and positions that seem to logically follow from viewing results in one small group don't necessarily apply to all. Witness Gabe Suarez's vehement claims that force-on-force, bad-ass training is the only game in town, but all else is garbage by comparison. Disrespect? No. But, surely a healthy disbelief in the logical path that supports the conclusion. Yes, particularly when plenty of facts and actual examples dispell the claims.

You've found the perfect handgun for YOU. Carry it, enjoy it and move on.
    Never was stuck; moving on isn't required. The info was offered simply as a data point for others to consider, not offered up as a claim that it would work for anyone else.

Now, that said, I'll grant everything you, Gabe and others suggest about pain management, about much of it being a mental block, and about the likelihood of being able to work through a problem despite injury and pain. BTDT. I've been flung over a cliff and had to climb a few miles back to safety, or die. I've been attacked by a large, aggressive and very pointy-toothed dog but survived, after deciding a few ripped forearms were worth the survival of the moment. And I've survived the violent beating being dished out by a much stronger and more-aggressive person, when I realized that with enough focus I could stop the attack, which I then proceeded to do, to his everlasting detriment.

Though we'll have to agree to disagree on whether any of this has to do with any given person's physical ability to ignore recoil. I'm of the opinion that, at some point, with some combination of gun+blast+strength+limitations, recoil becomes an issue for everyone. My limit happens to be somewhere south of a double-barrel 10ga shotgun, a .44mag Derringer-style pistol, and a 15oz .357mag snubbie revolver. That's physics. That's reality. My opinion, though? That none of this implies the same limits will be experienced by anyone other than me. The limits will vary, of course. YMMV, as always.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 16th, 2007 at 08:40 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator

I enjoy the punch of shooting full power .357's out of my snubbie, and it is fun to realize the difference between a 2" snubbie and a full size 4" revolver.

That being said I don't CCw for fun, I do it becuase I am deadly serious about protecting the ones I love and myself.

I can place more 38+p's on target, more accurately and in a much shorter space of time than I can full power .357's with my snubnose revolver. It has nothing to do with pain or my being scared of recoil. It all has to do physics. Muzzle flip is greater with a more powerful round. No amount of practice or "embracing" is going to change this, it is a law of nature.

I carry 38 +p's in my snubbie because I am more effective with them. In my full size revolver I carry .357's because I am just as effective with them as 38+p's. It has nothing to do with fear of pain but everything to do with physics.

As an instructor you should realize that shot placement has more to do with "Stopping Power" than bullet size or velocity.
    Last edited by pgrass101; April 16th, 2007 at 10:11 AM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I wasn't saying that a person that doesn't carry a .357 or a .40 needs to "buck up". I was saying that many of the people I've dealt with complain about the recoil from small pistols, like a snub .38, or a .32 acp or a .380. The .380 is about the smallest a person should carry, though the Kel-Tec P32 is uber small and truly a go-everwhere pistol.

As far as a person that needs a daily carry in a minimal caliber, a few choices are around in the .380. Including the Kel-Tec P3AT, a Makarov, a CZ83, a Walther, the Bersa, as well as a couple from Beretta, Colt and Browning. Size and Weight are important, but so is caliber and placement of the shot.

I would prefer a that a person that is incapable of pulling the slide back on a pistol either stick with a snub .38, or build some strength in their hands. According to some people, the latter is not always possible due to age, prior injuries, etc. However, if a person complains about a revolver being too difficult to pull the trigger, or too difficult to pull back the hammer - then what choices are there??!!! - - NONE!

So, it appears that I may be mean-spirited, or whatever, but if a person cannot use a semi-auto, and cannot use a revolver - what do you suggest they do? I say, build up some damn strength, or hire a bodyguard. Guns are not supposed to be some squishy sponge-like thing that is feather-light and have no difficulty in usage. Guns are mechanical devices.
    NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

Senior Moderator
    As far as a person that needs a daily carry in a minimal caliber, a few choices are around in the .380. Including the Kel-Tec P3AT, a Makarov, a CZ83, a Walther, the Bersa, as well as a couple from Beretta, Colt and Browning. Size and Weight are important, but so is caliber and placement of the shot.
    Lots of good choices that you mentioned, plus several more mentioned in previous posts.

However, if a person complains about a revolver being too difficult to pull the trigger, or too difficult to pull back the hammer - then what choices are there??!!! - - NONE!
    You are right if a person is physicaly unable to use a gun they don't have much choice.

The OP stated that the recoil of an Airweight S&W was unpleasent and asked for advice on lower recoil pistols. Not that he couldn't use it.

I don't think it is a question of not handling the recoil but of the OP finding what pistol and what caliber is most effective for him.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

look at the beretta in .25 auto or the kel tec p3at (.380 auto). both are low recoil and will do the job. yes I know that some peoples make fun of the .25 auto and/or .380 auto, but I don’t see any one volunteering to get shot by one. a .25 auto and/or .380 auto in hand is better than two .45’s back home.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Recoil

When my girlfriend was new to CCW and shooting, she was recoil sensitive and picked a Beretta 85F in .380. Now she's moved up to a Glock 26 and an SP101, and carries a Beretta Tomcat a lot. The steel framed Kahr pistols are a favorite on the rental range where I work, and the T9 target model is kind of a low recoil "sleeper". Bottom line, heavy steel framed small guns have lower percieved recoil, as do larger guns in smaller calibers. *Homer Simpson voice* "Stupid physics"/.

Let me offer an opinion that is occasionaly unpopular among gun people. A shooter with a small, safe, good quality .22 could fire a "burst" of Stingers or Quick Shok, AND HIT WITH EACH ONE in the time it would take to flinch and jerk the trigger on two misses with a .40 compact or an airweight .357 with a 12 pound trigger pull.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links