cant carry a single action, what else?

This is a discussion on cant carry a single action, what else? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my dept. will not allow me to carry a single action (technically). i have a kimber ultra carry II with crimson laser sights and the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant carry a single action, what else?

my dept. will not allow me to carry a single action (technically). i have a kimber ultra carry II with crimson laser sights and the Kimber de-horning done. per our policy i cant carry a single action because of the obvious issue everyone has with them...cocked and locked. I know about the ubquitous glock 27 and S&W .38, but are there any other highly regarding secondarys anyone knows of? my only reason for carrying a secondary is my depts. lack of radios that work and VERY limited backup from anyone at night...any thoughts on a badass backup are welcome. thanks

Rockitt, you mentioned that your department won't let you carry single-actions. Would Para Ordnance's LDA (light double-action) be allowed? Here is an article on the LDA: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/3_of_a_kind/

These conventional double-action pistols contrast sharply with other guns which came into great popularity in the last decade with one form or another of a DAO (Double Action Only) system. Para-Ord's LDA is a form of DAO; the trigger pull is the same for every shot. It's also an uncommonly short and light DAO pull. While there is an external, conventional looking hammer on the gun, it never cocks in the conventional sense. When a shot fires and the slide cycles, the hammer follows the slide to a down (at rest) position. It might have been possible for the designers to use the basic LDA principle for the first shot and conventional single action for the remainder. But that's not the route Para-Ord took. By design and choice, the LDA's trigger system is the same for every shot.
    Para has several LDA "Safe Carry" models.

If the LDA wouldn't be allowed, there is S&W M&P series. They don't have quite the track record the Glocks or revolvers do, but they have been receiving rave reviews.

interesting, thanks for the quick reply...this OT check is burning a hole in my pocket:)

JD
    Administrator
    I second the LDA, if you are familiar with the 1911 you will LOVE the LDA's.

If your looking for a backup only don't discount the J-Frane Smiths or equivalent.

Then there's the Rohrbaugh R9: http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/
    And the KAHR MK and PM series, the PM45 should be coming out soon. But I would go with a PM9. http://www.kahr.com/pistols_front.html

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'll third the LDAs. My old PD allowed 1911s (thank the Lord) but if cocked and locked wasnt allowed, it would be an LDA. Oh that note, they just started making one with a light rail in single stack because of the increased request by our community and with a light mounted can be easily carried in a Safariland SLS (level 2) holster. My earlier 1911 was carried that way till I left the PD for feds.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Rockitt , imho you did not provide enough info , but if you like the 1911 then the LDA should be fine . If you have experience and compentance with revolvers well then all i can say is consider sig , kahr , ect .. shoot what you can get your hands on and get the one you like . Possibly some local members will come foreward with different DAO pistols and let you shoot thiers .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Glock 36?

You wanted to carry a Kimber Ultra for backup, a .45 caliber single stack gun weighing about 25 ounces, with a 3 inch barrel. But your department says no single actions.

How about a Glock 36, which is double action only .45 and the same basic size as your Kimber, but a few ounces lighter because of the polymer frame?

GLOCK 36 Specifications
    Caliber..... .45 ACP
    Action....... Safe Action (constant double action mode)
    Overall length (slide)..... 6.77 in. (172 mm)
    Height, including magazine..... 4.76 in. (121 mm)
    Width..... 1.13 in. (28.5 mm)
    Barrel length..... 3.78 in. (96 mm)
    Sight radius..... 6.18 in. (157 mm)
    Weight, without magazine..... 20.11 oz. (570 g)
    Weight, empty magazine..... 2.40 (68 g)
    Weight, full magazine...... ~6.88 oz. (~195 g)
    Magazine capacity..... 6 rounds
    Standard trigger pull..... ~5.5 lbs. (~2.5 kg)
    Trigger pull length..... 0.5 in. (12.5 mm)
    Number of safeties..... 3

good info so far...redneck, what info would you like?

Rock, I would like all you can give , what is your personal experience , as well as your dept. mandated . the reason i ask is that if you have a history of shooting say double action revolvers at say a bowling pin match it opens some options without extensive training . Just let us know ( i am not the only one holding back for lack of info ) what your experiance is , then we can make some rational suggestions for YOU to try then pick the one that you feel is best . Sorry but info is power , and right now the more info you provide is the more empowerment we can help you have .

Edited to add:

For instance i " broke into " LE in the late 70s /early 80s and with a revolver , i went thro a lot of changes over the years in duty/off duty weapons and finaly as a civillian came back to my roots so to speak , with a dao auto . I know what you are saying on dept mandated carry , but honestly need more info about YOU before i can help you select anything .
    Last edited by Redneck Repairs; April 6th, 2007 at 12:24 AM.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

VIP Member
    SIG makes some fine weapons too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by rockittboy View Post
    my dept. will not allow me to carry a single action (technically). i have a kimber ultra carry II with crimson laser sights and the Kimber de-horning done. per our policy i cant carry a single action because of the obvious issue everyone has with them...cocked and locked.
    Could you slip it by with this?

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/sfs.shtml

Could you slip it by with this?
    Now this is amost exactly wrong . Sorry kd5 but the proper q is not what can i slip by , rather its what can i shoot well that meets what the dept mandates . There is a loose mandate here so in order to be responsible we must stay well inside it , and make it work for the OP / Officer , this can be done .

i have been shooting my whole life, just recently got off FTO with an unnamed highway patrol. dept. mandates we carry a double action pistol with "integral safeties" such as a glock of a revolver. right now, our dept. issued weapons are the S&W tactical edition .40 cal 4006.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Definitely check out your Dept's policy. They may or may not allow Para's LDA. Some of our guys were having issues with the frames.

If you're looking for strictly a BUG, you can't go wrong with some type of .38 snubbie. The most popular being S&W J-frames.

Since your Dept issues .40 cals, you might want to check out a Glock 27. Makes a great BUG, can be carried in an ankle holster, & is a great off-duty gun to boot.

Kahr also makes a small & light .40 cal, not to mention the PM9.

Just food for though. Good luck!
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Beat them at their own game. I would buy this pistol in 9mm or 40 S&W and carry it cocked and locked:

Yes, it is a CZ75 B. Regards, Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links