crimson trace or night sights?

This is a discussion on crimson trace or night sights? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i realize in all reality ill be with 2-3 feet of some dirtbag if i send rounds down range with my offduty, but does anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i realize in all reality ill be with 2-3 feet of some dirtbag if i send rounds down range with my offduty, but does anyone have any opinions on night sights vs. the laser grips? and if so, who has the best prices on either? thanks

JD
    Administrator

Question

Batteries die, laser lens can get obstructed GET BOTH if you can.

What kind of gun are you getting sights for and exactly what kind of night sights do you want?

TruGlo has the new tritium fiber optic front sights that are pretty darn cool IMHO. You get better daytime visibilty with the TFO's than the standard white dot.

Or you can go with XS Big dots which have great reviews.

Do you want all green front and back? Or do you want different colors like a yellow or red front with green back?

Based on what you want there are different places to shop.

Some will disagree but Ebay is a good place to start looking for both Crimson Trace grips and night sights.

night sights are better than any laser aiming device. Regardless of how far away the target is; people who spend time trying to get that red dot on you is time you can be aiming and shooting. It depends on what kind of firearm you're using, but I put meprolight on my glocks and they work great. They aren't too expensive either. If you have to have a laser and are by chance using a glock, the laser max system is all enternal and kind of a neat toy.

I Believe In Night Sights...

All my .45's and 9mm's have night sights...either Mep's or Trij's...both work just fine for these 60 y/o eyes.

I don't think, however, that in a 2'-5' robbery neither night sights or a laser is going to be any help...just practice pulling your gun without wetting your pants will work just fine...even wetting your pants and still able to get 2CM's will work too!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    I was at the range and I ran into a guy with laser grips on his gun.

I said, "WOW! I've never used one of those before, can I see it?"

He let me turn it on and point it around at the targets and what-not and I said, "That's pretty cool. Would you recommend them?"

I was actually very surprised when he said, "No."

He said, "Honestly, if you are used to sight shooting, stick with it, it's more different than you would think and sometimes it can be a handy-cap. In a stressful situation, even if you have your laser on, you'll instantly start aiming with your sight because that's the way you've trained and then that red dot will become a distraction; not to mention one that you don't need. If you've shot using your sights all your life, stick with them."

I'd never heard that before, but that was just one man's opinion who uses them. I've actually never fired a shot using laser grips, so I can't say with authority but it's something to consider.

However, I can speak with some authority on night sights. There's nothing more comforting than hearing a bump in the night, looking over, and seeing those two glowing lights on my bedside stand (I have straight-eight night sights). I call them my running lights because they can guide my hand right to my gun in complete darkness. Laser grips can't do that for you.

I'm with my husband on this one (my husband being jdlv4_0) if you can swing it, get both. If you want just one or the other, go for the night sights (in my very humble and honest opinion only).
    Last edited by limatunes; April 5th, 2007 at 09:26 PM.

get both a properly sighted laser will dance just above your front sight when you aim the pistol..... and it doesnt take long to put that dot on a target it is much easier then trying to alight sights when some one is 7yrds or less from you.......
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I'd go with night sights for the reason stated above. They will always WORK. No batteries, switch etc to go wrong. Laser is cool but takes a bit getting used to, you'll also notice just how jittery you are when that dot is dancing all around, when you first try out.

I realy like the night sights better. They are guarenteed to work.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I strongly support night sights. My personal preference is up front only, but to each his own.

As far as laser sights go, I have them on my back-up pistol (a j-frame) for two personal reasons.

I wont trash lasers and I do believe they have a place. My personal experience though was that even after having them on my weapon for a year and shooting over 1000 rounds a month with it, that I actually was slower when trying to find the dot than I was just using my sights.

So to answer you specific question, between the two, get the night sights, then later if you want, then the laser does have some really good points to having them.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I know from experience that a laser can make you a problematic and lazy shooter, because you will come to soley rely on the laser for aim, not to mention if used in an actual gunfight can reveal your location if used under certain conditions. SO...I got rid of it.
    If I made my living with it. I would have it along with tritium nite sights. But I don't and nite sights are good enough for me.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personally i use tritum nightsights , and you could not give me a lazer . however you need to think things throe before you choose , and it may not be an either or choice . For myself a lazer dot just distracts me , and i am better off with at least the front sight glowing , and as i age i more and more prefer only the front sight as a nightsight . If i can see the front of my pistol i can shoot a smaller target than you think at any range . If i see a dot danceing out there as i pull i tend to slow down trying to " put it on that one shirt button " so for me the lit up sights work better . Some love them porch lights on pistols tho , be they white light or a bolt on sight tool .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Would you recommend them?"

I was actually very surprised when he said, "No."

He said, "Honestly, if you are used to sight shooting, stick with it, it's more different than you would think and sometimes it can be a handy-cap. In a stressful situation, even if you have your laser on, you'll instantly start aiming with your sight because that's the way you've trained and then that red dot will become a distraction; not to mention one that you don't need. If you've shot using your sights all your life, stick with them."
    That was a wise man giving good advice.

I ask you this... if its dark and you need glowing sights to see them, what makes you think you can see your target and beyond?

Stick with standard fixed sights, and get yourself a good light. Tossing money into gimmacks wont save your behind in a gun fight, only the right equipment and training will.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I ask you this... if its dark and you need glowing sights to see them, what makes you think you can see your target and beyond?
    Because what's next to my glowing dots is my tactical flashlight. Finding my gun means I'll find the flashlight (and I have practiced finding both in the dark, but my night sights are pretty much always my guide).

I have been taught to ALWAYS check my target before firing. I don't think I could live with myself for accidentally shooting my husband coming home from a late night at work.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Because what's next to my glowing dots is my tactical flashlight. Finding my gun means I'll find the flashlight (and I have practiced finding both in the dark, but my night sights are pretty much always my guide).

I have been taught to ALWAYS check my target before firing. I don't think I could live with myself for accidentally shooting my husband coming home from a late night at work.
    Thats what I was looking for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've got the tritium night sights on both my Kimbers, which are my primary defensive handguns. I also subscribe to Limatunes' practice and have the SureFire right at hand for night use. In low-light practice, I've been pretty pleased with just how much of a difference the night sights make in the most likely situation for personal defense, shooting from darkness at an illuminated target.

I do have a laser on my AR-15 SBR. I've been experimenting with it as an alternative when firing from positions where a good sight picture is not possible, but it's certainly not the best option for accuracy. I can see where the laser on the handgun could also be useful, for example, when shooting from retention, but I've never tried it myself.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links