polymer longevity

polymer longevity

This is a discussion on polymer longevity within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am doing a college research paper paper on the evolution of polymer, specifically polymer handguns and want to find a source or some opinions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: polymer longevity

polymer longevity

I am doing a college research paper paper on the evolution of polymer, specifically polymer handguns and want to find a source or some opinions of polymer frame life span. Also I am not really talking round count just life span in general such as break down and brittleness. I know that 20 or so years is all we have to go on but they have to be some real world facts or even personal opinions on the longevity of polymer frames.

My Glock 22 was bought in 1991. That's 16 years...it's not britle and it still shoots as good as the day I got it!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I dont have links at hand but you might want to google the phrase " development of plastics " or even as far as " plastic uv resistance " . You are into an emotional level of firearms where personal preferances out weigh any advice given as a rule . For instance mostly my ccw guns are "tupperware framed " but the guns i keep to hand down to the kids are not . Glocks are the " proof of concept " guns , and i confess i owned one of the first 1k glock 17s to enter the country , but nowdays the only glocks i own are traders . Fine pistols , just dont fit me but other polimars do .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Prediction...

Someday 2000 years from now future archaeologists will dig up the ruins of our civilization. They will probably find broken Coca Cola bottles, ceramic toilets and Glocks. Everything else will have turned to dust and rust.

Kahr claims that before their polymer pistols hit the market, they go thru 5000 rounds to make sure they function, etc.. I hear that to be a service pistol, they would have to go 15000 rounds.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Artz i would agree on all points of your post , but would not call any Kahr a "service pistol " which to me speaks to .mil I honestly belive kahr is up to snuff on it , ( and would out last a police carrier if that is what you speak to ) , none the less the catagory of pistol that even the large sized kahrs live in is more or less what we used to call a pocket pistol . So " Service " pistol , well maby it would hold up ( my bet is it would ) and maby not , but its a moot point .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

About ten/fifteen years ago the company I worked for did quite a lot of research/lab work on various polymers and composits. It was found that polymers were not suitable for structural components of aircraft due to brittleness after a certain "service life" guidline. They are, however, used for minor, non-structural assemblies. Composites were much more impressive, and now are major structural components. Polymers are great for firearms, just don't fly them.

Polymers are great for firearms, just don't fly them.
    I agree to a degree , but you may notice that we have carbon fiber ( a composit ) ar 15 lowers , but no polymer ar lowers lol . each has as you said a proper place , and nothing anymore is the answer to every need .

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    If your speaking specifically about firearms, do a web search for "Chuck Taylor Glock 17". He tested a Glock 17 with over 250,000 rounds without a issue.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I remember reading that.

Administrator

Thumbs up It would be really interesting

IF you could call some gun makers up and get specific information from them as to what destructive testing they have done on their polymers before they placed their firearms on the market.
    I'm sure one of their technical people would love to give you a bit of time.

Anyway...since there are SO Many different polymers of different molecular weights and properties you'll need to find out what exact polymer formulation they are using anyway.

Here is one Wikipedia page that has a blurb on the degradation of polymers. Click Here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have a glock 19 with 25,000+ round that I've put on it. I think the owner before me put alot through it too. It still works flawlessly, its my favorite pistol. I remember reading about Chuck Taylors G17, that amazing, he was ONLY up to 100,000 rounds when I heard about it.

Administrator
    I'm not a Glockaholic but, I think one endurance tested Glock has hit the one million rounds mark. I remember reading about it but, I don't have a source.
    I'll bet you could find info about it on Glock Talk though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by mastinson View Post
    I know that 20 or so years is all we have to go on but they have to be some real world facts or even personal opinions on the longevity of polymer frames.
    Actually, polymer handguns go back considerably further than 20 years. If you want a longer term prospective than you can get with a Glock, find someone who bought one of the early VP70s.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Actually, polymer handguns go back considerably further than 20 years. If you want a longer term prospective than you can get with a Glock, find someone who bought one of the early VP70s.
    Man, that is one UGLY pistol.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links