Kimber Ultra Carry II

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra Carry II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading in the ammo forum of issues with feed/jam issues on the UCII. How big of a problem is this? I currently have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Ultra Carry II

Kimber Ultra Carry II

I've been reading in the ammo forum of issues with feed/jam issues on the UCII. How big of a problem is this? I currently have one on order, but am not real happy about paying a premium price for a supposedly premium gun only to have issues like this. To me that's unacceptable in a weapon that costs almost $1k and that I might have to depend on to save my life or my families life. I currently own an XD45 which I absolutely love and is rock solid reliable. Should I consider the XD45 compact or possibly the Para Carry instead of the Kimber?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Personally I've had Paras and Kimbers, of the two I've had no issues with Para, but it's been hit and miss with Kimber for me.

The main problems people report with Kimber are the magazines, "most" people will replace the factory mags with either the Kimber Tac mags (which would come with the gun anyway in a perfect world) or Wilson Combat mags, seeing as how your looking at getting an Ultra you'd probably be better off with the Wilsons or Cobra mags from Tripp Research.

When it comes to the Paras, get one in stainless as the ParaKote finish will not last under daily carry, while appeareance may not be an issue for some, after 6 months of carry mine looked like it had been carried for 20 years under harsh circumstances. Also, if you like to shoot alot the Para Carry models have an abbreviated grip saftey that while it is carry friendly it became uncormfortable after 3 mags on the range.

Also, Para has lifetime waranty, Kimber has 1 year.

Of the two based on my expereicnces I'd go with Para.

Senior Moderator
    I have a Stainless Ultra Carry. I won't lie to you, when I first bought it and took it to the range I was VERY VERY VERY disappointed. I had every single stinkin' feeding and slide problem you could possibly imagine. I was about to march it straight back to the gun shop to sell or trade it when my husband asked me just to try different mags. Against my better judgment, I agreed, but, of course, I refused to carry it.

The new mags fixed EVERYTHING. It shot so wonderfully it was like I had purchased a whole new gun.

The only difference between the Ultra Carry and the Ultra Carry II is that yours is PROBABLY in .45 (mine's in .40) and the internal firing pin stop that gets disengaged by the grip safety. Mine does not have that.

Currently I have my Kimber at the gunsmith being worked on for some feeding problems that just came up that are presumed to be the fault of a dinged feeding ramp (I bought it that way, didn't really notice it, and now, a year later, it's starting to give me very minor trouble) but even though the feeding trouble it is causing is VERY minor compared to what I had (currently the very first round being loaded in the chamber is hanging up on the feed ramp it looks like, all subsequent rounds feed BEAUTIFULLY), I agree that you want a reliable gun and so it is at the 'smith.

I LOVE my Kimber and wouldn't trade it for any other gun in all the world, but at first I was ready to convert it into a paperweight.

I would recommend a Kimber (obviously) but if you have trouble with it try new mags first.

pez
    I bought an UC II a couple years ago and it had problems feeding, going into full battery, and slide not locking after last round. Also, the rod in the captured spring assembly kept unscrewing during fire, I'd have to twist it back into place after a couple mags, and sometimes I'd have to pick it up off the floor. So, some wilson mags improved the number of occurrences, but sometimes the slide wouldn't cycle completely to the rear, and sometimes it would slam back so hard that I wondered if there was a spring there at all.

One day, I lost the captured spring assembly rod at the range. Not that I removed it, it fell out like it sometimes does during fire and I never noticed that it was gone until I was at home fixin' to clean it. I call Kimber to order a new rod, they don't sell the rod, they sell springs. But the lady was nice enough to send me one free after I told her what happened. The day I installed the new spring assembly is the day when all my UC II problems vaporized. I haven't had any type of malfunction since, and I've put about 500 rounds through the thing. Now I don't have to think about deep sixing the thing for a Glock. I hated how the Glockers would gloat about how they've had theirs for 16 years and never had a problem. My problem would be that it's so fat that I wouldn't be able to carry it concealed on my person, I'd have to use a bag or something.

Going off track... Now if I could find a good IWB holster for small folks that don't wear baggy clothes. I don't wear tight clothes either, but my VMII is so thick, that it adds a large percentage of bulk compared to what I have in the waist area and it definitely shows if I wear it, so I don't. What a waste of $121 and a five month wait. I'm sure a regular size fella wouldn't have a problem though.
    Last edited by pez; April 5th, 2007 at 11:44 PM. Reason: added some after-thought

Pez,

What will you take for the VMII?

Thanks,
    Dan

I really wanted a 25-ish oz. 1911, despite the inevitable "I wouldn't trust my life to one with less than a 4" barrel", "I had a [ ] and it was a p.o.j." or "Browning's design was never meant to..." replies that turn-up in nearly any thread having to do with them (not so much on this site, however ). Finding really good deals over a couple of months, I picked-up a SA Micro Compact and a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I thought it would be fun to put a bunch of rounds through each, comparing their reliability and (my) accuracy, and after a time, I would sell one. Around a 1,200 rounds later, however, the only problem I've found is that I'm very happy with them both.

Anyhow as with many handguns, some folks have trouble with them. Good luck with yours

I have one that I carry regularly in my pocket but when I first got it I was extremely exasperated. It took 800 rounds to break in. It has been great since. However I have come to the conclusion that the majority of them work just great after their 500 round break in period that the company states in their operators manual. Most of the grumbling comes from folks before the break in is done and the satisfied owners don't grumble, so we have no clue as to how pleased they are with their guns.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

My UCll has been flawless right out of the box. Same for my Pro Carry ll. My Custom Target SS l, had such a tight chamber I had to postsize my reloads for reliable function. I'd buy another UC if the price were right.
    str1

So basically what I am hearing is shoot the crap out of it to get through the break in period and just go ahead and buy aftermarket mags for it to start with. I was going to buy a couple of the KimPro TAC mags for extras but sounds like I need to do that right off the bat. Should I buy them or go with the Wilson Combat instead?

Kinda disappointing to pay that kind of money for a premium firearm and have to do that though.

its to bad they dont make the colt officers acp like they used to. i have one and love it.... and i hate colts,,, i would go with the para before the kimber i shot both and the para is a way better pistol.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    There are two schools of Kimber thought:

[1] Flawless performance
    [2] Flawed performance.

I fall within the first category. My 3 incher has had zero problems. I've got about 900 rounds through it. As for magazines, I've never fired it with the factory mag that came with it. I bought the Wilson's immediately and they too have been flawless.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    So basically what I am hearing is shoot the crap out of it to get through the break in period and just go ahead and buy aftermarket mags for it to start with. I was going to buy a couple of the KimPro TAC mags for extras but sounds like I need to do that right off the bat. Should I buy them or go with the Wilson Combat instead?

Kinda disappointing to pay that kind of money for a premium firearm and have to do that though.

Get the Wilsons, the polymer followers are often thought to be better for aluminium framed guns. If you shop around they are about equal price to the Kimber mags and. The problem with the metal followers is that the steel is harder than the aluminium and may "gouge" the frame after a period of time.

Yea i had ordered an UC2 as well a little while ago & when it came in the slide wouldnt close w/out alot of fussin w/it & as well when the salesperson & I played w/it we realized the little bugger wouldnt feed either!! (& YES we did try different mag's in it because he said they have that problem before but i guess that one was just a lemon) I was torn between that little gun & the GLOCK 23 well the UC2 made my mind up for me. A 1K (w/night sights) price tag & it didnt work out of the box NO way!! So i went w/the GLOCK & love it!! You just cant go wrong (realibilty wise) w/a GLOCK............

Everyone Makes a Lemon...Now And Then...

I've known individuals who paid premium price...$2500, and still have problems...

At the local gunshop, a fella was complaining about a Wilson with problems...was disguisted about paying so much and had to send it back...stuff happens!

I have two Kimbers...an Ultra CDP II, and the Pro CDP II...and I've had no problems with either...Kimber mags too...maybe I'm just a lucky guy...

I love both my Kimbers...the Ultra is a perfect carry weapon (for me)...

Happy choosing...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've known individuals who paid premium price...$2500, and still have problems...

At the local gunshop, a fella was complaining about a Wilson with problems...was disguisted about paying so much and had to send it back...stuff happens!

I have two Kimbers...an Ultra CDP II, and the Pro CDP II...and I've had no problems with either...Kimber mags too...maybe I'm just a lucky guy...

I love both my Kimbers...the Ultra is a perfect carry weapon (for me)...

Happy choosing...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    I really hope mine turns out well. I've been wanting a Kimber for a long time.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links