Recommendations sought on a new CCW piece

This is a discussion on Recommendations sought on a new CCW piece within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm looking for a new gun and would like something that I can use for CCW. This will also be my first 1911 for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations sought on a new CCW piece

Recommendations sought on a new CCW piece

So I'm looking for a new gun and would like something that I can use for CCW. This will also be my first 1911 for what that's worth. From what I have handled in the stores and from what I have read online I think I'm leaning toward something in an officers frame. Barrel length doesn't really matter to me but I prefer the shorter grip....
    was originally going to look at the "ultra" size guns, but I really don't think I'll have any problem concealing something with a longer barrel and I would personally feel more comfrotable with a 4" with what I have read about 3" guns being hit or miss as far as reliability goes.
    My only problem is that I can't find a lot of guns in this configuration so am I missing something? Is it just my personal preference or is there a problem with the shorter (height) guns with a longer barrel....if those of the following list actually fit my critera so let me know.
    Kimber Compact CDP II (or Compact Stainless II since it costs a bit less)
    Colt Officer's???
    Colt 1991A1???

Your thoughts are more than welcome!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    If money isnt an issue and you can spend around a grand, I absolutly love the Colt Gunsite CCO which matches the Commander frame (4.25" barrel) with the officers model grip.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

you might want to check out the springer v10...i shot one of my buddies and it was great...way better than the smith compact 1911 that was recoil crazy

los
    Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    .....Barrel length doesn't really matter to me but I prefer the shorter grip....
    I believe the Detonics CombatMaster (6+1 Rounds in 45acp) has the shortest grip on any 1911 platform in existence. It's grip is 3/8" shorter than that of the Colt Officer's Model and other compact 1911's grips. It does not have a [beavertail] grip safety either. These features makes the CombatMaster an exceptional CCW.

Last edited by los; April 6th, 2007 at 02:49 PM.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I'm not a 1911 fan But I do get to shoot alot of differn't models of them that belong to other people. Kimbers, Wilsons, Les Baer, Sig, Springfield, STI's, Rock Rivers, Colts, and alot of custom jobies, my body has a detonics its very nice but I just can't seem to jump on the bandwagon.. Haven't shot the Taurus yet but have heard good things. Out of all them I have been the most impressed with the Springfield Loaded for the money if 1911 is your cup of tea i would say give it a test drive.

O yeah shot the S&W 1911 what is it the PD, used to be the "Scandium" I think.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

STI Guardian

The Kimber Compact you mention has a good reputation. Also, STI is a "1911 boutique" manufacturer in Texas with an excellent reputation. They offer a gun called the Guardian that meets your spec, with an officer's style short grip and a 4 inch barrel.

STI website

ok now my next question....why is it that everything I like is so very expensive?!?

You might also want to check out the Dan Wesson Bobtail, it doesn't have the officer grip, but it's supposed to conceal really well due to the cut tail of it.

by the way, I have a Para Ord CCO (3.5" barrel officer grip) and have had zero problems with it other then it doesn't like the cheap Remington ammo that Wally World sells (it's eaten everything else I've fed it without a hitch) so I would say not all short barrel 1911's have problems (my fullsize RIA doesn't like Blazer Brass)
    Last edited by Rotorflyr; April 6th, 2007 at 05:18 PM.

Another Kimber Vote Here...

My Kimber Ultra CDP II is the perfect EDC for me...

Easy to conceal and can pound nails from 2 miles...well maybe, 7-10 yards...sorry, I got a little excited and was just bragging a bit...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    ok now my next question....why is it that everything I like is so very expensive?!?
    Because you chose to go with a 1911 style of weapon! 1911's are like Harley Davidson motorcycles...they are beautiful, expensive and ALWAYS needing work done!

If you want a real combat weapon that's gonna feel good on your kiester and not gouge you, doesn't require a bunch of "add-on" or "custom" accessories, that weighs a ******* lot less than a 1911, is BY FAR more reliable AND costs considerably less? Get yourself a Glock...lose that nickel plated sissy pistol.

That's funny, haven't had to add a thing to my 1911's to make em work.

Though I will likely add an ambi safety to my Para cause I want to, not cause I need to

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Because you chose to go with a 1911 style of weapon! 1911's are like Harley Davidson motorcycles...they are beautiful, expensive and ALWAYS needing work done!
    ...guess that might be part of my problem then since i have two HDs ...except mine don't need work done...could be because I built the engines myself...hmmm...maybe I just need to build my perfect 1911 HAAAA!

Get yourself a Glock...lose that nickel plated sissy pistol.
    Always did like that line!...both my wife and I use it on our friends who shoot "prettier" guns than ours...I'm actually a pretty big Glock fan...that's one of the reasons I'm going with the 1911 just to switch things up a bit and try something new that I might just like....actually this will be a big change for me since I'm also a fan of 9mm (maybe I shouldn't say that in this 1911 thread ) heh

Most people think that I hate the 1911. On the contrary, like I said - the 1911 is a beautiful piece! The only weapon, IMO, that is more gorgeous is the Smith & Wesson revolver. Would I carry a 1911 to defend myself and the public? Never! I have owned a 1911 before - nothing but trouble! FTF, FTE, stovepipes - you name it/it did it!

However...if money were no object, I would buy the new Sheriff Jim Wilson model 1911 by Ed Brown! Have you seen these? GORGEOUS iron! But...$2295 MSRP!? FORGETABOUTIT!

If you want a real combat weapon that's gonna feel good on your kiester and not gouge you, doesn't require a bunch of "add-on" or "custom" accessories, that weighs a ******* lot less than a 1911, is BY FAR more reliable AND costs considerably less? Get yourself a Glock...lose that nickel plated sissy pistol.
    I couldn't say it any better! I shoot various revolvers and pistols, but my "go to gun" for carry is my Glock 26.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I've been a cop for a long time! I've carried EVERY handgun caliber and brand there is - and that is NO EXAGERATION! The only weapon(s) I have never owned/carried is a Browning High Power and anything in .357 SIG caliber. I bought my first Glock in 1991 when the .40S&W cartridge was introduced by Winchester. Since buying that Glock 22, I've never looked back! I now own 3 Glocks - all .40's - and I plan on owning my fourth - a Glock 27 (in OD Green, of course) before the year is over. If I had to go back to any other weapon (this will make some laugh) I would return to the Smith & Wesson K-frame revolver. Perfection AND Simplicity in it's finest form!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links