New PT145 - Issue/Question

This is a discussion on New PT145 - Issue/Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a new 3gen PT145. I have noticed that everytime I have the slide locked to the rear and then I insert a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just bought a new 3gen PT145. I have noticed that everytime I have the slide locked to the rear and then I insert a full magazine. The slide automatically pushes forward, without me releasing the slide, alomst everytime. This seems to happen a lot easier when the magazine is full rather when it is empty. But when with no magazine, I can even cause the slide to push forward by slapping the bottom of the grip. I was wondering if anyone has this happening with their PT145? Is this something to really be concerned about?
    Things happen, but the only thing that matters at the end of the day is what you do during and after in order to survive.

I can't say as I've read about this being a problem with other PT145's but yes, you should be concerned about it.

If you field strip it, and then put the slide back on without the barrel in place and insert a mag (full and empty) you should be able to see where it's hitting the slide stop. You may be able to file it a little and solve the problem, but if it were me and it was a brand new gun, I'd take it back to where I got it and let the dealer take care of it (shipping for a ffl is cheaper then if you do it yourself and they may just exchange it on the spot so you won't have to be without)

Thanks for the idea. I wil try it.
    Things happen, but the only thing that matters at the end of the day is what you do during and after in order to survive.

my pt111 is doing the same thing. i think i will take it to dealer tomorrow and see what they say. mines only 1 month old

Administrator
    LOL... this thread cracks me up.

I'm interested in hearing what your dealers/Taurus says.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Like Sixto, I am forever untrusting of Taurus products. Good luck guys, hope you get em fixed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    When I was looking to get my first handgun my best friend told me to steer clear of Taurus because they were cheap guns, but this is the first I have noticed people having trouble with them. (Probably because I have not paid enough attention)
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I've fired quite a few different pistols of different makes that do this. My department's issue Rugers do this also. I believe that many makers do this intentionally to make reloads faster.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

I think with Taurus auto's you are either hit or miss. I have about 1500-2000 rounds through my 3rd gen PT145 with no issues except it doesn't like to eat cheap Blazer ammo anymore. Other than that it has been a great gun.

For what it's worth, my 145 MilPro doesn't do that - the slide stays locked back until I activate the release lever.
    I'd contact Taurus and see what they have to say.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Two things I won't buy. A Taurus firearm or a Chrysler automobile. And both for the same reason....been there, done that. Both companies products are fantastic ideas, but poorly executed.

If only Honda made a Hemi 300c and Glock made a PT-145!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I'd say you have a problem with the gun.
    I've not experienced this trouble when demonstrating a new/used taurus auto to a potential Customer..One of the very few (if any other0 handgun maker that did this (slide going into battery when mag inserted) was the Mauser HSC or the HK4 handgun.........take it back, and see what gives
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

My PT140 MilPro doesn't do it either. The gun has over 3000 rounds through it to boot, has no ammo issues, and the slide stop is strong as ever. Just wish they would extend it back about 1/8 of an inch and make it about 1/8 of an inch taller. Be much easer to swipe the slide shut without re-adjusting your grip (safety tends to push my thumb out enough so the tip of my thumb can't get enough pressure on the release).

I've had great success with my PT145 and love it, it should stay open until released,, my guess is the problem is with the mag. does it do it the same with both mags. It's true that some guns are made to release when you slam the mag in,ie Px4's.

So far, I've no problems with mine. I've put approx 200 rnds down range, including some Wolf ammo.

However, having said that, I was speaking with the Sgt from my hometown PD (he's also the dept armorer, I had questioned him about the PT145 a while ago). He said that he was speaking with the local gun shop owner.

He was told that 2 of the PT 145 have been brought back for malfuntions. The first one "supposedly" blew up in the shooters face while firing regular loads. The other was brought in because it would still fire when the safety was on.

I went in today and spoke to both the owner of the shop and his armorer. The armorer said that he thinks that the one that "blew up" was tinkered with. He thinks that the owner was trying to make it full-auto (don't ask me how). He went on to tell me that the shooter came in the day after his "accident", with NO associated trauma to his face. He did send it back to Taurus and thinks that they will agree with him.

The other was a definite malfunction with the safety. Sorry-I don't remember what he said the problem was. He said to check it by inserting an EMPTY mag in a safe location, ie range-cock and dry fire with safety on. He also said with an EMPTY mag load and cock and then "jar" it and see if the firing pin shoots.

After I told him that I had already put a couple hundred down range, he didn't think that I would have any issues with it. But if I did, Taurus was good for the warrenty.

I'll repost after checking these issues. Can't now-on duty on the ambulance. They might think that I would shoot my patients. That would be WRONG-for most patients
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links