Anybody carry a KelTec P11 or PF9?

This is a discussion on Anybody carry a KelTec P11 or PF9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My buddy has been carrying the P11 for years, and loves it. From what I can tell it's easy to conceal, especially with the clip, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody carry a KelTec P11 or PF9?

My buddy has been carrying the P11 for years, and loves it. From what I can tell it's easy to conceal, especially with the clip, and is reliable. I've shot it before, never had any problems with the trigger.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Just so you understand , the pf 9 is NOT a slimmed down p11 , the action of the pf9 could more fairly be called a scaled up p3at action . The p11 is a true repeat hit capable double action with a fairly horrendus trigger pull , the pf9 is a semi staged one hit only with what should be ( i have not played in that sandbox yet ) fine pull .
    For those of us that are not in the Keltec family yet, but are seriously looking, can someone explain the main differences between their guns. I am looking for things such as ease of concelement, ease of disasembly and cleaning, reliability, how many rounds the guns suposedly last, which might be better suited for large hands.

Yea, I know, thats a lot of questions to ask, sorry.

I own a Glock 19 and a Ruger P85 now and love them both, but find it hard to believe one could conceal them in summer attire.

Any help would be appreciated.
    THANKS
    Jim

As I stated in my previous post I am a big boy, (6'5" and 300lbs) and find that the P11 is very comfy in my paw. If I carry it, it's usually dropped in a pocket or in a Fobus paddle that can slip right off when need be and still fit in a jacket pocket.

Check the above mentioned website as well, (i.e. http://www.ktog.org/index.html), good intel!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

RB
    Jimbolyard,
    Not meaning to confuse you but, have you considered the S&W 642 or such J frame for simple CCW? It will do all you want very reliable and without the worry of the KT issues.

I have several KT guns but, have fluffed and buffed all of them and knew what I was getting into when I purchased them. This is the reason I recommend the J frame to new shooters for CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    What is a good price for the P11? Saw one today at gun show for $240. Thanks and God bless, HOLYROLLER.
    $240 for a new P11 is a good price. I paid 200 for a used Blue finished P11. Price range for new goes from 239 to 279 depending where and which finish blue, parked and hard chrome in that order.

I hope you picked it up!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by RB View Post
    Jimbolyard,
    Not meaning to confuse you but, have you considered the S&W 642 or such J frame for simple CCW? It will do all you want very reliable and without the worry of the KT issues.

I have several KT guns but, have fluffed and buffed all of them and knew what I was getting into when I purchased them. This is the reason I recommend the J frame to new shooters for CCW.
    Yea, I have considered the S&W 642. I really wanted to keep the 9mm caliber, keep it shorter than the S&W 642, and have a little longer barrel the auto pistol allows, and the magazine capicity of the auto. From the specs I found the S&W 642 is only slightly shorter than my G19. Thanks for your input though.
    Jim

My late production P-11 has been
    just fine right out of the box,the
    only issue was some finish wear
    caused by the box.My only mods
    has been to trim the tip of the
    trigger back about a 1/8" and a
    pachmayr slip on grip.For me these made a would of difference while shootingI've only put 700 rds thru it but it's been 100% with every ammo i've tried.I carry Fed
    115gr jhp's (9BP) in mine,low flash,accurate and easy enough to
    Shot.I sold my 642-2 to but this P-11 because at work it's my only gun and i didn't like having only 5
    rounds on me.It also easier to pocket carry while i'am working,i
    do some kneeling and squatting
    and it doesn't dig into my leg like the 642 did.I paid $252.00 with tax and think i got a great deal on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolyard View Post
    For those of us that are not in the Keltec family yet, but are seriously looking, can someone explain the main differences between their guns. I am looking for things such as ease of concelement, ease of disasembly and cleaning, reliability, how many rounds the guns suposedly last, which might be better suited for large hands.

Yea, I know, thats a lot of questions to ask, sorry.

I own a Glock 19 and a Ruger P85 now and love them both, but find it hard to believe one could conceal them in summer attire.

Any help would be appreciated.
    THANKS
    Jim
    The P3AT and P32 are basically identical. They are a single stack DAO pistol that fire .380 auto and .32 acp respectively. The .380 holds 6+1 and the .32 holds 7+1 (can get 10+1 with longer mags).

The P11 is a small double stack 9mm that is still pocket concealable (as long as you don't wear some skin tight jeans I guess). Standard holds 10+1 if I remember correctly and you can get longer (higher capacity magazines).

They are all very easy to strip and clean, with very few parts. The concealment on the two mouse guns are great and the P11 is also very good for a 9mm. They aren't enjoyable guns to shoot, but are great CCW guns. They supposedly don't last very long as far as rounds fired, but Kel-Tec has one of the best warranties in the industry and will replace them when they go south.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I often pocket carry my P11 particularly in the summer down here in Dallas. The trigger is an issue but I just had a gunsmith do a trigger job that reduced the trigger pull to about 6 pounds although it still is just as long a pull. That does help some.

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Just so you understand , the pf 9 is NOT a slimmed down p11 , the action of the pf9 could more fairly be called a scaled up p3at action . The p11 is a true repeat hit capable double action with a fairly horrendus trigger pull , the pf9 is a semi staged one hit only with what should be ( i have not played in that sandbox yet ) fine pull .
    So the PF 9 is actually more like a Glock in its action?
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

MNBurl- Who made your P-11 holster? Nice!!!

And Mike, it is the Market Hall show. I can't wait. I got a hotel by the Galleria so my wife will have something to do for the 6-8 hours I plan to browse/buy.

Quote Originally Posted by bass806 View Post
    MNBurl- Who made your P-11 holster? Nice!!!

And Mike, it is the Market Hall show. I can't wait. I got a hotel by the Galleria so my wife will have something to do for the 6-8 hours I plan to browse/buy.
    I did. I have it on as I type this. Very easy on and easy off.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I carry my P-11 more than any other pistol I have. I use the belt clip and tuck the clip over my trousers and under the belt at the 3:00 o-clock position. easy on, easy off, no holster to fool with. Very reliable.

cj
    I just picked one up fairly recently, anticipating the need to do the whole fluff-n-buff and working on the trigger. I was truly surprised taking it out (straight from the box, some dry-firing with a snap cap, but no cleaning or lubing) for the first time. I'm a bit of a recoil wimp and was leery of all the warnings of it 'not being a fun range gun' and all.

The trigger wasn't NEARLY as bad as I'd thought. I used to resist firing revolvers double action, but the little P11 was just fine for me. Aim, commit to fire, and smoothly pull the trigger all the way through, and I was on target, repeatably.

Recoil wasn't as bad as I'd feared either. I think my Makarov was more unpleasant. The only issue I really had was my finger smacking the bottom of the trigger guard during recoil, and this was mainly a problem due to a seam from the molding process not being perfectly smoothed. I've since taken a file to clean the seam up a bit, and am considering testing out a magazine finger extension and trigger stop, but besides that (and being kind to it and giving it a good cleaning), it appears to be a rather inexpensive 12+1 flush-fit (using 12rd magazines available from KelTec) or even more with a grip extension for S&W 59 series magazines in 9mm with (to me) an amazing size and handling characteristics!

VIP Member
    I bought one as the wife's CCW, but she has quickly adopted the G26 as her preferred choice for ccw. The Keltec now sits in the bedroom except when I carry it in my cargo pants pocket occasionally as a BUG or when I don't feel up to carrying something IWB. I like it so far.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links