Purchase PM9 from unhappy user

This is a discussion on Purchase PM9 from unhappy user within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a Kahr PM9 from an unhappy user last night. He likes to "slingshot" and Kahr has an advisory against it. He purchased an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchase PM9 from unhappy user

I purchased a Kahr PM9 from an unhappy user last night. He likes to "slingshot" and Kahr has an advisory against it. He purchased an XD-9 instead. I picked it up for $480.00/shipping. Not bad for a new (150 through the pipe) PM9.

Anyone know if Kahr will work with 2nd owners on warranty issues?

Regards,

Craig

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

A couple of second-hand Kahr owners I know have had no problems getting warranty work done on their guns; but I'd contact Kahr just to be sure.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator
    No, no issues with warranty work.

I should add that buying guns from people who dont know how to use them almost always promises a good deal to my gun buying thread. LOL.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was just going to comment on your recent post about buying guns Sixto, and then noticed you posted here. I bird dog all of the time. Kahr's have their nuances, but are fantastics little guns. For $100.00 off retail I'll take it. Thanks for the replies on the warranty work; I doubt I'll need it, just haven't had any experience with Kahr customer service.

Thanks....Craig

Quote Originally Posted by cs133atom View Post
    I purchased a Kahr PM9 from an unhappy user last night. He likes to "slingshot" and Kahr has an advisory against it. He purchased an XD-9 instead. I picked it up for $480.00/shipping. Not bad for a new (150 through the pipe) PM9.

Anyone know if Kahr will work with 2nd owners on warranty issues?

Regards,

Craig
    What is 'Slingshot'?

Quote Originally Posted by randyman_ar View Post
    What is 'Slingshot'?
    It's when you grip the gun in your strong hand and pull the slide back with the thumb and pointer finger of your weak and let her go to chamber a round.

Page 12 of the Kahr manual says, "Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery." Otherwise know as "slingshot"

As opposed to slide locked back, insert mag, release slide lock?

Would this preclude carrying w/o one in the chamber?

TIA
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Indeed, carrying with one in the chamber is the recommended carry condition. Not just for Kahr, but for any pistol.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    As opposed to slide locked back, insert mag, release slide lock?

Would this preclude carrying w/o one in the chamber?

TIA
    It wouldn't preclude it, but it would make chambering that first round more difficult, especially under stress...

I have been trained to always "slingshot," and I think it's a good idea for fast reloads and such (the gross motor function of slingshoting being easier to perform under stress then the fine motor function of manupulating the slide lock), but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I was otherwise satisfied with the pistol...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    OPFOR the Kahr warning isnt against doing it just against doing it all the time. The main problem with "slingshoting" wasnt just with Kahrs but with other weapons as well and wasnt against the crowd that did a true slingshot. It was a problem with people "riding" the slide forward when they did it (holding onto the slide while allowing it to go forward onto a live round) which caused the slide not to go into full battery. I checked with Kahr and asked if "slingshoting" the slide voided the warrenty and they said no. I use to be an avid slingshotter but found that my times were actually slower when doing it. Still think I need to build up the release on my Sig but uncle sugar dont like us playing with his toys.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    I understand that it doesn't "hurt" the gun... The problem (as I understand it) is that slingshoting often fails to feed that first round. Like I said - wouldn't be a show stopper for me on an otherwise good gun, but it would require me to train on a different "manual of arms."

Also, I'm just as fast (if not faster, after practice) using the slide lock as opposed to slingshoting - I just like the big, easy movements rather than the small, more dexerity-requiring movements... Everyone has their preference. And I know what you mean about uing Uncle Sugar's guns...we aren't even supposed to take the grip screws out, because we (supposedly) don't have the special Sig concave-tipped screwdriver... And considering my nearest armorer is 4,000 miles away... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

don't let my range officer catch you sling shotting or using the slide lock lever as a slide release....

he will unleash a case of whoop #%$ on you....

even Ex-Lax won't get it out....LOL

while holding the gun by the frame in your right hand - grip the dust cover in your left hand and move it rearword to the stops and then move it foreward...

then make sure you get your left hand out of the way... place safety on (if so equipped) (he uses Glocks and Kimbers )

(he has been a LEO Instructor for over 20 years, expects it to work when he pulls the trigger[even cured me of a couple of "minor bad habits"])

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Move it forward while under hand strength? Not while under spring push? That technique has been no-no'd by every single reputible firearm instructor for over the past ten years. I would seriously question the "knowledge" of an instructor that still taught "riding" the slide forward. I would say that if Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Blackwater, and FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) have canned that technique, it might (just might) cause you to ask your range master why he is teaching a technique the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI) held as a topic of discussion at an annual meeting due to the related issues with its practice (and we're not talking safety issues but failure to extract and FTF). Just my opinion, but one thing I've learned in over 20 years of law enforcement (most on tactical units) is that just because a person is a law enforcement range officer dosent mean they stay up to date on what they're teaching. Some of them havent been to a instructor course since thier very first one (if they even had to attend one). Dont know your guy personally, but wow...that would lead to a serious heart to heart later in the day and quite possibly resulting in alot more. Again dont know your range master, but that technique is considered the same as dumping your rounds into your hand and putting them into your pocket (that one is for ollllllllldddd time guys).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I like Kahrs, have a PM9 and I'm picking up a barely used P45 for $450.

Kahrs are "finicky" but great little guns. Happy shooting and packing. There have been no issues with second owners and warranty work that I am aware of. It's best to just be honest when talking with Dottie at Kahr when you tell her the problems, if you are having any.

Kahr is very good in my opinion about treating the customer right.

Biker

Mr. D,
    I've got to agree with Steve on this one. There is a web site with dozens of firearms owner's manuals located here. I've checked several and cannot find any that recommend riding the slide down to battery. While the company manufacturing the firearm may not be as savvy as an instructor when it comes to handling defensive / tactical situations, I would have to believe that they are the best source of information on how to actually operate the firearms they build.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links