Carry a Glock 36?

Carry a Glock 36?

This is a discussion on Carry a Glock 36? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to hear from anyone who shoots or carries a Glock 36. I want to add a .45 to my stable, and have started ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carry a Glock 36?

I'd like to hear from anyone who shoots or carries a Glock 36.

I want to add a .45 to my stable, and have started to give the 36 some thought, so help me out with some information.

THANKS.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I too would like to hear more from people that have shot/carry the 36. I am thinking about it for a BUG carried in an ankle holster. If anyone has a similar setup I would like to hear what you think and what type of ankle holster that you use.

I know an ex-agent that carries in the similar format and he swears by Glock and .45, but I would like to hear more.

I own and carry a G36 at times. It's a very carryable .45 acp, but in my opinion, it is too large for ankle carry. It's so close in size to the G19/23 that you can use some holsters for all three.

It's similar in recoil and accuracy to my G23, although +p ammo can be a handful.

You will probably hear about some problems with the G36 [especially over on glock talk] but mine has been very reliable. I recommend the G36 if you are looking for a compact .45 acp.

Administrator

Thumbs up

The Glock 36 is the Glock that the Glock lovers love to hate.
    It's the Glock with the pox.
    I have one and mine has been flawless in it's function.
    I really like it - it's accurate - it's small - and it goes bang every time.
    It's a real nice tight carry package with a big hole in the end.
    I've had zero problems with mine.
    I've got a LaserMax installed in mine and the red dot is dead on.

I also have a G-36 that I carry, and I like it very much in spite of a few bumps in the road along the way. I've had it for 3+ years and have had some failures to feed - which were found to be faulty mags, and a few failures to eject - which were my fault due to shooting some low power target rounds I reloaded. the recoil spring requires something pretty close to a factory round's energy to function properly.

Like most autos, my 36 has its likes and dislikes when it comes to projectiles, so be prepared to experiment a little if you get one. It will shoot most types of hollowpoints for SD, although I did have a couple failures to feed with Federal's 230gr Hydrashocks. Most everything else has been OK except target semi-wadcutters. For target work use some type of RN. I usually carry 200gr SD loads.

Shooting the 36 I think is fun. It's pretty accurate for a SD gun and to me, the recoil is manageable. Shooting 100-150 rounds is not uncomfortable at all. The +P rounds are sportier, but still manageable. For SD I carry the std. power loads, easier to keep on target due to the muzzle flip.

Re-acquiring the target during rapid fire is slower than with a heavier, full size 45, but that just takes some getting used to, especially shooting one-handed. If you have large hands, you actually grip the gun with the two middle fingers.

I carry my 36 mostly IWB in a Caldwell Gunleather 'Missouri Slick' holster. Yeah, the name got me! Very comfy and accessible. I'll try to post a couple pic's tomorrow. Out of all the Glocks I think the36 is one of the thinnest, I know it's slightly thinner than the 26, the baby Glock. This thin profile is why I like it so much, AND it is a 45.
    The only thing I'd change about it would be to possibly design a new model with a slightly longer grip to better fit my hand and hold a couple more rounds, single stack of course- thin. BTW, be careful of adding +1 and +2 grip ext.'s - Quite a few folks have had feeding probs. with them.

Go on and get a 36, I think it's a good weapon. Easy to shoot. easy to maintain.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Administrator
    Nice complete, honest, write up on your 36 - very helpful.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I had a Glock 36 that I finally sold to purchase a S&W Revolver.

The reason I sold it was, while a great concept gun, I couldn't get it to function reliably. I have a Kahr P45 on layaway. We will see if it's the cat's meow.

If I was going to carry in an Ankle Holster I would look at an Airweight Revolver. I carry my 442 in an Ankle Holster. If you absolutely must carry an autoloader I would wait and get a PM45 from Kahr later this year. The Glock is too big and heavy to be packing on the ankle in my opinion unless you are 7' tall and weigh 300 pounds.

The Glock 36 is a great CCW in an IWB Holster, the Kahr P45 should be as well. I just couldn't get my Glock 36 to be reliable and that's rule #1 for me. It has to be reliable. With all the crud that gets on a gun carried on the ankle I prefer a Revolver for that mode of carry.

Good luck and happy carrying.

Biker

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I have a Glock 36 that's been very reliable. Initially, I thought it wasn't as I was having some failure to feeds, but discovered it was some bad ammo that my Dept. was using (We've since dumped it).

I don't ankle carry it & don't know anyone who does, but I do know a couple guys that have ankle carried the G-30. It's the same length, but heavier & thicker. Niether guy is very big, both are less than 6' tall & probably 200 or less. They didn't seem to have a problem.

Personally, I've ankle carried a J-frame & G-26 without any problems. I preferred the J-frame though, because of its' lighter weight.

Until I bought my Taurus MilPro PT145, the G-36 was the most accurate gun I had. It's now tied as the most accurate handgun that I own.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I posed the same inquiry over at Glock Talk and have some responses there, including pictures.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=682681

Hmmm! I'm surprised there weren't more naysayers on glocktalk. Usually Joes uncles-nephews-cousins-brother had one that was a POS, so I will never get one.

Even though I have a Kahr TP45, I am still considering a model 36.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

[QUOTE=jbailey;336967]I carry my 36 mostly IWB in a Caldwell Gunleather 'Missouri Slick' holster./QUOTE]

Here is a pic. of the 36 in the 'MO. Slick' along with its partners: a mag pouch also from Caldwell, a Ross covered slide (Very comfortable but not as concealable as the 'Slick') and a Fobus (great holster for the price - good for range and open carry, but is a little low and protrudes a bit much for concealed carry for me). The 'MO Slick' fits me best worn about 3:30 or 4:00 or a little farther. It rides high, in the hollow just below my rib cage and is comfortable during all normal activities, even sitting and driving, although you have to bend forward to draw when in the driver's seat. The way the holster is made, the belt tension pulls the butt of the gun close in to your body. I can wear as little as a loose fitting t-shirt and the gun dissappears. BTW, the holster has a sweat guard that extends upward behind the slide (important during our hot summers).

One thing that always has bothered me about any holster is bending over to pick up something, like an item on the bottom shelf in the supermarket, and the gun sticks out behind very visibly. To combat this, I have found that wearing the holster a little farther behind the point of the hip puts the grip in more of a parallel orientation with your back, and I get much less of a bulge when bending. this method gives me a good compromise between concealability and ease of presentation, which I hope is always in peace.

Shannon Caldwell made the holster and mag pouch for me. He has an ebay store at: http://www.ebay.com/caldwell-gunleather
    his email add is: caldwell1911@townsqr.com
    A very accomodating and helpful fellow, also a LEO with lots of day to day holster wearing experience. the holster he made for me is not fancy in any way, but it is excellent in form and function.

I'm sure many others could provide top quality workmanshhip and service too, I just thought I'd try a Caldwell as he wasn't booked quite as far into the future as most other makers. In my estimation, you can add him to the list of fine leather craftsmen.

Jim
    Attached Images

I just couldn't trust it with all the bad publicity. Steve48

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I could be wrong, but I think some of the problems with the 36 is because the slide's lighter (It's definitely thinner), than the other .45's. when I 1st shot it, it was less forgiving of "limp wristing" than my other Glocks (21 & 26). I've shot a "ton" of Glocks (To test for our Dept.), & while they're all more prone to limp wristing, the 36 was by far the worse.

I certainly would trust my life with mine, but I just don't seem to carry it much.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I too like carrying and shooting a .45. I have a G21 that I really like. I had a G36 for a couple of years. Great little pistol, fairly accurate, had no problems with it. Only thing is, my hands are fairly large, and because of the grip length it was always biting my pinkie finger where the magazine and the butt came together. I did not try a Pierce extension on it.

I have traded the 36 for a 9mm that my wife shoots now. Guess my next one will be a G30.
    P.E.T.A = People eating tasty animals

There is room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links