Should I consider a .40 S&W?

Should I consider a .40 S&W?

This is a discussion on Should I consider a .40 S&W? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I'm already considering a .40 S&W for EDC, but there is the cheapskate, sensible side of me that speaks up and says, "you ...

View Poll Results: Should I consider a .40?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, the .40 S&W is on the way out.

16 12.60%
  • No, you should learn to shoot waht you have; keep it simple stupid

15 11.81%
  • meh...caliber isn't important, carry anything

10 7.87%
  • Yes, a .40 would fill a nedd for you

60 47.24%
  • Yes! The .40 is the best self-defense cartridge since the pre-packaged Minié ball!

26 20.47%
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: Should I consider a .40 S&W?

Question Should I consider a .40 S&W?

I guess I'm already considering a .40 S&W for EDC, but there is the cheapskate, sensible side of me that speaks up and says, "you don't need another pistol." Now, I don't have a .40 S&W, and it does seem like a nice cartridge. But is there really a need for one? My EDC's tend to be .357, .38 +P, 9mm, and occasionally .45 ACP.

I feel like I have the bases covered....but the .40 S&W may provide better balance of firepower and capacity than some of my current options. Maybe I'm just trying to rationalize a new gun?

If you have a recommendation for an EDC .40, I'd be interested to hear it. I'm happy with Glocks, but would be interested in other options.
    Recon1342, wizard7mm08 and Rav like this.

Maybe I should buy a spell checker first.......

Shield in 40 is a great edc

I Live For Myself and I Answer to No One.
    Nix, Bad Bob and CalCarry like this.

why not? more calibers you have the easier it is to find ammo for one in a crunch and I'm a .40 fanboy anyway, you will get a butt load of naysayers whining about recoil, mag capcity, 9mm modern ammmo....blah blah blah it's all crap, try one out if you like it...yay! new pistol!!!!! if not get rid of it...simple

SR40c.
    G23.
    FNS40c.
    Sig 229
    G22.
    SR40
    M&P40
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas

I like my Glock 27. 10+1 in a compact firearm. Comfortable to shoot. Accurate. Reliable.

I find myself debating whether I need another pistol or not. My thrifty nature says I have enough, but my other side says that we need to support the firearms industry to keep them in business. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.
    Nix likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

I think .40 is nothing but a golden medium.
    Nix likes this.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."~~~~Thomas Jefferson.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.~~~Aesop.

I have the Baretta 96 Centurion i bought in 1985.. it's a really nice gun but it's the last 40 I'll ever own.. Nothing but 9's and 45's fo me. For me, the 40 fills no voids...
    blackhawkfann24 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virg View Post
    Nothing but 9's and 45's fo me. For me, the 40 fills no voids...
    That's where I was, but the .40 intrigues me. Why no love for the .40?

Distinguished Member Array blackhawkfann24's Avatar
    I have a 226 in a 40 and I like it alot. But all my other guns including my edc is a 9. The 40 is nice power, but also expensive to buy and shoot. Along with heavy, but lighter than 45. I say if you want another gun buy it you won't be disappointed. I just like my 9's more
    Nix likes this.

I could reload .40, but cost of ammo is still a factor. Good point, thanks.

Is there a need? I don't know if I'm knowledgeable enough to make that argument.

However, after doing quite a bit of research on the .40 S&W and the 9x19 Para (which is actually the reason I joined the forum after referring to it numerous times during my research), I chose the .40 S&W. Better ballistics, to me, and no need for +P++ times ten nonsense. You usually lose one round with a .40 chambered gun compared to a 9mm in the same platform, which is something I am able to live with. As some, including myself, may say; the .40 S&W is a great balance between the 9mm and the .45 ACP.

I'm currently looking for a .40 S&W EDC and will make my decision by the end of the month (bonus time). The three guns I'm stuck between right now are the Shield, the 3.3 XDs, and the Glock 23. Leaning towards the Shield but reviews on the trigger make me hesitant.

I can personally recommend a Ruger SR40c, if you are willing to overlook the obnoxious amount of safety features. My father owns one and just about everyone in the family, including members who don't shoot guns, can stack holes with it out to 10yds. I also have little to no issue with the so called "snappiness" of the .40 in the SR platform. I'd buy one for myself but something tells me I'll end up with his soon (handed down, not willed) and I also want to branch off from Ruger.

Personally speaking, it sorta sounds like you are trying to rationalize a new gun. There is nothing wrong with that, so long as you are willing to accept the consequences: stocking a whole new caliber and enjoying the benefits of the .40 S&W.
    Nix, Bigsteve113, MMinSC and 1 others like this.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Senior Member Array Chickenrancher's Avatar
    Just listen to your inner voice it speaks the most sense and speaks the loudest.
    blackhawkfann24 and Nix like this.
    I W N C

Conceal: verb (used with object)1.to hide; withdraw or remove from observation; cover or keep from sight: When you conceal something, no one else knows you have it.

I like the .40. they are great shooters. S&W and Sig are the two I would suggest
    Nix and Eric357 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Struckat's Avatar
    I like .40 cal. But I don't feel strongly about it.

I was in the no need for one camp but bought one on a whim and ended up liking it more than I thought. By chance, I moved everything I had that was a .45 not long before that, so now I am indifferent towards .45.

As long as you can shoot what you have well, you are good.
    Nix and Eric357 like this.

Do it. If you hand load, .40 S&W gives up nothing to the 9mm and can nearly mirror some .45acp loads.

Haters gunna hate, no matter what...
    Nix, denclaste, Aceoky and 3 others like this.
    Velocity is temporary, mass is forever...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links