Sig 229SAS or 239SAS

This is a discussion on Sig 229SAS or 239SAS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking that my next purchase will be either the sig 229SAS or the 239SAS. I shot both models recently and felt the 239 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 229SAS or 239SAS

Sig 229SAS or 239SAS

I am thinking that my next purchase will be either the sig 229SAS or the 239SAS. I shot both models recently and felt the 239 was maybe too thin in the grip for my hand. I will have to do some more test shooting. Does anyone have any feed back on either of these two models as a carry piece? I am assuming it should have the sig reliability.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Both are great, it just comes down to what you like. I'd prefer the 239 for a ccw, but the 229 gets the job done as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think you should get the one that fits best in your hand. I agree with you and think that 229 feels better in the hand. To me the 239 grip is to thin feeling in my hand. I am able to hide my 229 on my 29" waist, I'm sure the 239 would hide better. But if I do need to use it hiding it would be the last thing I was worried about.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

Size vs. capacity

This is the classic size vs capacity tradeoff, and there is no right or wrong answer. Both guns are Sigs, are good looking, and should work reliably.

The P229 gives you 12+1 rounds of .40 caliber in a 32 ounce gun with 3.9 inch barrel that is fairly thick in the slide. The P239 gives you 7+1 rounds of .40 caliber in a 29.5 ounce gun with 3.6 ounce barrel that is thinner and more concealable. They cost about the same.

If you have large hands the P229 will fit you better, but if concealability is paramount, the P239 will hide better. Here is the Sig website shot of their P239 SAS:

Lead Moderator
    I don't think you can go wrong with either, it just comes down to personal choice. I have both a 229 and a 239, and would probably opt for the 239 for CC just because of size and weight.

One of my friends just literally picked up a 229 and fell in love with the thing, said it felt perfect in his hand!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Wish these came in 9mm.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The 229 is not "that much" heavier than the 239 (2.5 oz.), but both are fairly heavy compared polymere &/or alloy framed guns.

I do like how Sigs shoot, though. Back in '96, when I was changing agencies, I tested a trio of .45's because my new Dept didn't supply the guns & the Sig 220 was the best shooter of the bunch (I just didn't like the capacity).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

P239 comes in 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by revitup View Post
    Wish these came in 9mm.
    The P239 SAS comes in both 9mm and .40 caliber. The P229 SAS only comes in .40 caliber. (I just looked this up on the Sigarms website.)

So if you want 9mm you have to get the P239 SAS. You can get other varieties of p229s in 9mm, however, just not the SAS.

Buy both and you'll have your summer/winter carry guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The P239 SAS comes in both 9mm and .40 caliber. The P229 SAS only comes in .40 caliber. (I just looked this up on the Sigarms website.)

So if you want 9mm you have to get the P239 SAS. You can get other varieties of p229s in 9mm, however, just not the SAS.
    I thought I had read/heard that there was a 239SAS version in 9mm in the works? Any info about that? I'm thinking one of those would be a nice compliment to my 228...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

For daily ccw, I'd go with the 239. For a duty gun, I'd go with (do go with, actually) a 229.

That's me, though, and the 239 fits my hand really well. You might also consider trying it with some of the larger Hogue grips with the finger grooves...or the CT laser grips...they add something to that thin, flat front strap of the grip.

Did you shoot a 239 SAS or a regular 239, by the way? I've never handled an SAS, but I hear the wooden grips are bulkier than the stock plastics. Might also help your hand-size issue.

I had no idea the SAS came in 9mm. Just checked the website and it is indeed there. Is that new? Seems I was looking at them fairly recently and it just listed the .40. I'd love to get one in 9mm for a daily carry. Seems a little too nice for that though. And replacing those nice grips with CT lasers would be a sin.

Thanks for the input. I like the way you think Jamie, buying both guns would be great. But you know.......there is the cash problem.

I shot the 229SAS. I like the way the grips felt. But as AgentX pointed out, maybe some hogue grips on the 239 would be the answer. I do like the .40 cal. Ahh.....life is just so full of problems.

Thanks again for all the input everyone.

I would choose the 239 for a CCW because I like the thinness and the looks better. I know they look about the same, but I love the trigger guard and the slide on the 239.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

I have a 229 and a 239 DAK, both in .40. I carry them both, and I gotta tell ya that, despite their differences, it doesn't really make any difference to me just as long as I'm carrying one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links