Glock 30 Gen 4 vs Glock 30S Gen 3

Glock 30 Gen 4 vs Glock 30S Gen 3

This is a discussion on Glock 30 Gen 4 vs Glock 30S Gen 3 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I'm new to the forums but I appreciate your help in advance. Right now I'm torn between the Glock 30 or 30s. The ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bad Bob
  • 1 Post By SouthernBoyVA

Thread: Glock 30 Gen 4 vs Glock 30S Gen 3

Question Glock 30 Gen 4 vs Glock 30S Gen 3

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but I appreciate your help in advance. Right now I'm torn between the Glock 30 or 30s. The 30 comes in Gen 4, which I like, but I'm not sure if the grip texture is uncomfortable for EDC or if the kinks have been fully worked out as far as reliability goes. The 30s is a little slimmer but only comes in Gen 3, which I'm not too familiar with, and supposedly has greater recoil. Other than that the two are very comparable. I have fairly large hands and am about 5'11" 180 lbs. I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight into which they would prefer or if anyone has had experience with both of these guns. Thank you.

Welcome.

I have had both and prefer the 30 over the 30s. The 30 was more reliable for me. I do not own either currently, but now have a Ruger LW Commander.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Senior Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    I just bought a Glock 30S last week. It is not quite a gen3 nor is it a gen4. It is actually somewhat of a hybrid of the two. It has a dual captured recoil spring (gen4) and a gen4 trigger bar. But the grip is definitely gen3, though the pull length has been shortened a touch. Recoil is not bad at all. The one thing I definitely recommend, and am going to order, is an after market set of sights. Other than that, I'll do my usual thorough polishing of all internal contacting metal parts. I did install a temporary 3.5 connector and will keep that in the gun as well.

If you are serious about a smallish .45ACP, the 30S is a fine choice and one to seriously consider.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

The 30s has the same frame as the G30 SF. SF stood for short frame...meaning shorter trigger reach. It is my understanding that the Gen 4 models without any backstrap installed has the same reach as the SF frames. I like the 30s and find it to be a great carry gun.

I have not shot a G30. I own a 30s. I like the thin slide, which was why I purchased it. I am the same build as you, from what you described, so I would think you could comfortably carry/conceal the 30s.
    NRA Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    The 30s has the same frame as the G30 SF. SF stood for short frame...meaning shorter trigger reach. It is my understanding that the Gen 4 models without any backstrap installed has the same reach as the SF frames. I like the 30s and find it to be a great carry gun.
    You are correct. I shoot the Gen 3 G30 and have no complaints at all. Having a slide .1 inch thinner is not going to make it fit inside my waistband any better because the frame is the same width still. But, to each their own.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array glockstar's Avatar
    Welcome to DC

Go for the 30sf and join the club: Glock 30 SF Club

I can help a little bit here:

I "upgraded" my Glock 19 and 23 from gen 3 to gen 4 and I regret it but not because of the grip. I just didn't get any real benefit from it since I didn't need any of the grip inserts. I didn't notice any recoil reduction and the larger mag release button is meh anyway.

I don't have too much experience with the 30 or 30S except that I'm one of the rare people who did not like the 30S and sold it off. I didn't like how the 10th round was super tight (I bent the post on the Glock supplied mag loader trying to get the 10th one in there). If I did manage to load it the next struggle was how hard it was to then load it into the pistol. I had to really slam it home and the first time that stupid mag shroud at the bottom pinched my palm and left a dark purple line there for a week was the last. It was nothing special to shoot either. I would look at a Springfield XD or an M&P if I were to want a compact .45 again. Maybe the Sig P320?

So for me to answer your question it would be neither but hopefully my gen3/gen4 "upgrade" story helps. It all comes down to personal preference. Fondle both until the salesman gets pissed then decide.

Glock 30 Gen 4 is a very good gun it serves as a more compact glock and i think that it is really worth a try for those looking to buy this gun.

Have had experience with both. If you have large hands, you might find the G30 with the large grip frame adapter more to your liking, as the G30s is based on the Short Frame. My hand is wide, but my fingers are short, and I liked the G30s just fine and I left the grip adapters off the G30. Recoil is very slightly more with the G30S, as the slide being slimmer and less weight (approximately 2.5 ounce). I carried the G30s for a while IWB. I preferred the 9 round mag with a 13 round backup. Bottom line: they are both good firearms with minor differences.

Sponsored Links