PF-9 range report

This is a discussion on PF-9 range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took her out to the range this morning, warmed up with 50-60 rounds of .22 out of my 22/45, loaded up a mag and lit ...

Thread: PF-9 range report

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar

PF-9 range report

Took her out to the range this morning, warmed up with 50-60 rounds of .22 out of my 22/45, loaded up a mag and lit her off. Wow, I gotta admit, quite a bit more recoil than I was expecting out of WWB. I was in kind of a rush this morning and forgot to grab my Uncle mikes gloves, I really should have remembered them, I don't think I'll forget them next time. I was intending to burn up a whole 100rd box this morning, but I did'nt quite make it to 50 before I decided to put it away. I would not recommend this gun to anyone who is even borderline recoil sensetive, I'd compare the felt recoil in this little beast to a 4" .41 mag with full-crimp loads (granted more snap and less push), and that's with WWB! I'm not exactly excited about seeing how bad she bites with 124+P.

Accuracy was nothing to brag about, but I'm not yet sure how much is me and how much is the gun. Best groups were 3-4" @ 5yds, with mostly lateral stringing, vertical was 2" or less. I'm not sure whether that can be attributed to loose frame/slide fit, or whether it was just inconsistant grip on my part. We'll see as I get more comfortable with the gun.

I was pleasantly surprised with the trigger pull, after break-in and some F&B I expect it will be as good as my 1st gen P-32.

Zero failures of any kind through almost 50rds, it was FMJ though so I don't think that's too significant.

2. Remove Ads

...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    of what? crappy groups?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Awesome Good report I've been waiting on somebody to do a Range Report on this gun. I'm actually looking for one. Where did you say that you got this gun from? I know Charlie Delta November November had them but they are all gone.

Also, in the Manufacturer book does it say its rated +P. I only ask because I was shocked when I read my M&P manual (the first one I actually read) and it said this gun is NOT ment to shoot +P ammo.

PS don't worry about the groups the gun wasn't made for shooting groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    of what? crappy groups?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

The manual for my P11 states that it can handle +p, but it should not be used on a regular basis. I would think the PF9 would be the same.

I also took my new PF-9 to the range for the 1st time a couple of days ago. I'm afraid my experience wasn't as good as blueyedevil's though. Went through 200 rnds of Blazer aluminum ball. Four different times the slide jammed when the assembly pin jumped the detent and started to come out. I also experienced one more traditional FTF when it seems two rounds tried to feed at once. One nosed up into the top of the barrel with the 2nd jammed in beneath it. Not to be completely negative, when it was working well I found it a pleasure to shoot. Nice smooth light feeling trigger with a clean break. For a two finger grip pistol it felt great in my hand. The sharp ridges on the grip didn't even really bother me. I must be the only one that doesn't find the recoil objectionable. I actually think it's kind of soft shooting although that might have something to do with the ammo or the fact that my regular carry is a SW40VE. That's snappy.
    Back to the negatives, accuracy seems to be terrible. I'll give it another range session though before I pass final judgement. Eight inch groups at 25' from a rest. I'm no pistolero but I'm not that bad! It's also shooting about 3" left. The rear sight is almost all the way right already. I'll have to talk to Kel-Tec about that I guess. On the bright side they're customer service seems to be top notch. Regarding the pin problem, they're sending a new assembly pin. Hopefully that'll solve that issue anyway.
    Last edited by revitup; April 10th, 2007 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    The manual for my P11 states that it can handle +p, but it should not be used on a regular basis. I would think the PF9 would be the same.
    Yes, PF-9 is rated for +P, but not with "continuous use" as per Kel-Tec. My concerns were about recoil with +P, not whether the gun could handle it. But I think I'll adjust quickly, I think alot of the perceived recoil came from the fact that I just didn't expect it to be quite so bad with low-pressure target loads, but then again out of a 12oz gun, I guess I probably should have. I'll post another range report in a week or two to see if accuracy improves after break in, probably post some pictures once my K&D holster gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    of what? crappy groups?
    No, of the PF9!!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Here's a pic of my PF9 along with one of my P-3ATs for size comparsion.

Got mine in Dec 06. Zero problems to date with about 300 rounds. It's not a range gun, I only shoot it now and then for a reliability check. The gun is very accurate for this type of pistol. It's not an easy one to shoot well, but it can be done.

Links