Why choose a 40 S&W over 45ACP?

This is a discussion on Why choose a 40 S&W over 45ACP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious. The 40 cals I have shot are louder and seem to have a sharper muzzle flip. Also the 45 is a caliber that's ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why choose a 40 S&W over 45ACP?

Just curious. The 40 cals I have shot are louder and seem to have a sharper muzzle flip. Also the 45 is a caliber that's been around for a long time.
    Your thoughts?
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Oh boy! You have to bring this up?

Seriously, it's so subjective. Personally, I like .45s & find their recoil managable. I like the ballistics of the .40, but I don't like the "fast" recoil on them. I find them harder to bring back on target like a .45. I have no problems with 9mm, either. It doesn't matter if it's standard, +P, or +P+.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

JD
    Administrator
    You might get one or two more rounds out of a .40, what type of gun are you looking at?

Personally of the two I'd go with the .45, I've shot many of each in different barrel lengths and the .45 IMHO is more manageble, the only gun I've found where this isn't the case is my 4" Kimber in .40, on that particular gun I can't tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    JWhy choose a 40 S&W over 45ACP?
    I wouldn't... In fact, I chose a 9mm over them both.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just trying to find out what makes some people choose the 40 cal over the 45ACP.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just trying to find out what makes some people choose the 40 cal over the 45ACP.
    .40 range ammo is also a tad bit cheaper...

VIP Member
    Ammo capacity is the biggest factor, IMO. You can get almost TWICE as many .40 rounds in a G23 as you can in a similarly sized 1911. Of course, there are double-stack .45s that greatly reduce this disparity, but it seems to me that most people who carry .45s carry single stacks because they are more comfortable to grip/shoot/carry. If you stick with single stacks, you are in fact only getting an extra round or two, so the advantage is reduced.

I personally don't mind the recoil of a .40 though it is "snappier" than .45. After a few thousand rounds through my G23, I was able to perform with it just as fast (for all practical purposes) as I was with my G19.

All that being said, I now carry only 9mms because I can basically get unlimited practice and duty ammo, and that makes up for any "deficiencies" the 9mm may have as compared to the .40/.45.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Both are good - get each

Your question implies that one must go either with .40 or .45. But you can get both, and alternate shooting them.

I have multiple guns in each of these two calibers, and don't really prefer one over the other. They are both fun to shoot and effective for defense. Each has some pros and cons. One is not clearly superior to the other.

I also have two sons and like them both.

Size of the pistol can also be a factor. Most .40 handguns are virtually the same size as the 9mm handguns of the same model. A .45 tends to have a larger grip.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

The Springfield XD .45 grip is very comfortable even though it utilizes a double stack (13 rnd) magazine. It is in fact the same size as the XD 9mm which my wife is very comfortable with.

I'm going to shoot my brother-in-law's FNP .40 this weekend. I'll let you know what I think about the recoil and muzzle flip as compared to my XD .45.
    Last edited by Spionen; April 14th, 2007 at 03:42 AM.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

me
    For me it was a matter of already having .40s available but no .45s. I decided not to reinvent the wheel so to speak since my father and uncle both have .40s it makes swapping ammo easier at the range.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

kpw
    I picked the .40 for years over .45 and 9mm. I thought of it as the best of both worlds. Personally, I don't believe there is any significant difference in stopping power between the 3 with good bullets. Stopping power in pistols is kinda like jumbo shrimp anyways.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Stopping power in pistols is kinda like jumbo shrimp anyways.
    Now that is a good saying
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I would venture that one important factor is that a lot of law enforcement agencies chose the .40 after the FBI adopted it. They found that the 10mm was a bit too much for some folks to handle, in large part because of grip size. The smaller .40 could fit into a 9mm-sized frame and could therefore accomodate smaller hands. A lot of people tend to pick whatever the LEOs are using, hence the choice many make of the .40.

The "best caliber" debate has been raging for many, many years. The Europeans especially like the small, fast calibers, with 9mm dominant since the first half of the 20th century. Americans have historically preferred the larger, heavier, albeit slower, big bores, ever since the Walker Colt delivered the punch of a .44.

Personally, I prefer .45ACP, for the cartridge itself, and the wide variety of available ammunition, and for the wide variety of available weapons chambered for it, particularly the 1911, for which it was specifically designed.

When calibers are argued, the comment you won't hear is, "The damage inflicted by a .45 just doesn't measure up to a 9mm or a .40S&W."

What you will hear is, "You can't carry as many rounds", or, "With just the right load, a 9 or a .40 compares favorably with a .45." There's a good reason the U.S. Army chose the .45 to begin with. They tested actually killing power on live creatures, and .45 was found to be superior. When a change was made away from the .45, the reasoning wasn't killing power, but rather commonality of ammunition with NATO allies.

Granted, propellant and projectile technology have developed a great deal since then, but all calibers (including the .45) have benefited. There's plenty of ballistics info and a significant amount of after-action reports available for you to draw your own conclusions.

I have a really nice .40, an Uzi Eagle full-size steel frame. It's an excellent, reliable shooter. The every day carry weapon I choose to depend on for personal defense, however, is a 1911 in .45ACP.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Of all the handguns I own I have not one 40.

9mm: Have to have the right ammo
    .357 Mag: See Above (although the "non-right" ammo can/does work)
    .44 Mag: See Above
    .40: Two bullet weights, either will work
    .45acp: Will work but I prefer the "right" ammo

I have an easier time finding 45 than I do 40 in Po'Dunk, USA.

That is my reason for the 45 and not the 40. Also, I don't care for the way the recoil manifest itself in my hand. I will shoot .357 Mag because I KNOW it will work if loaded with 125 Grain SJHP's. If I can't shoot 125 Grainers then I want to shoot a different caliber.

Biker

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links