FN Five SeveN

FN Five SeveN

This is a discussion on FN Five SeveN within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dear Folks: Does anyone know if the company that makes the new FN Five-SeveN handgun will be making a compact version of that gun? Thanks ...

Thread: FN Five SeveN

FN Five SeveN

Dear Folks:

Does anyone know if the company that makes the new FN Five-SeveN handgun will be making a compact version of that gun?

Thanks to all who respond.

There is a FiveseveN forum elsewhere, they probably have a definitive answer, my guess is that there will not be a compact version. It is a service pistol not a concealed carry gun, also a shorter barrel might adversely alter the effectiveness of the round too much to be viable.

Plus all the anti's are trying to get the gun banned anyway. I doubt FN is investing into what might be a closed market for a compact version.

I came very close to buying one of those a while back. I didn't because of two reasons: 1) Price and availability of ammo. 2) Grip size just wasn't particularly comfortable for me. I have the same issues with a Desert Eagle.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

JT
    With the way ammo prices have gone up, I have a hard enough time affording enough ammo for my shooting needs in normal calibers. I can't imagine trying to feed that thing. Maybe occasional shooting, but I like to put a lot of rounds through anything I'm going to carry.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    With the ammo available to non-LE civilians, this pistol is nearly useless as a defensive weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    With the ammo available to non-LE civilians, this pistol is nearly useless as a defensive weapon.
    I've got to agree with this. As long as there are no reloading components available for this caliber, I can't see it having much practical purpose. FN does offer a round loaded with the Hornady 40 gr. V-Max which, at 2000+ fps, should be fairly potent but Midway's cost of $720.00 for a case of 2000 makes it very expensive to shoot.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Ammo cost is an issue, to be sure. But my main reference to ammo was about its weak penetration with the varmint and FMJ bullets we can buy.

I'd rather go with 5 rounds of a proven 38 Special +P defensive load than with 20 5.7X28s.

No compact version has been made mention of by FN.
    It's a service pistol and the market for it is narrow thanks to US based antis and many police getting their Underroos in a wad with half-truthful info toward the round it fires being capable of defeatng soft armor.

The ammo cost had dropped considerably last time I looked (late December '06) and was roughly the same price as .40 S&W for an equivalent quantity box via Natchez as supplies were greater thanks to IIRC to a deal with Fiochi to mass produce ammo.
    Things though may have changed in the last quarter, I don't know as I haven't had motivation to check.

The round is interesting functioning differently than that of traditional pistol calibers. Comparing it as such to others is not fair or direct as it's bullet design is not based on mass or caliber/size toward terminal effectiveness.
    I'd not mind using it for CCW purposes myself as it's very lightweight and supports very high capacity in effectively a standard pistol form factor...no reloads or possibly even backup magazine would be required for street carry.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    many police getting their Underroos in a wad with half-truthful info toward the round it fires being capable of defeatng soft armor.
    I find that interesting given the fact that the SS190 cartridge (the one controlled by BATF and Customs) was specifically designed by FN to penetrate armor short of Level IIIA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7_x_28_mm_cartridge

The rest of the civilian, non-LE legal 5.7X28 cartridges are loaded with varmint bullets that almost invariable fail to penetrate deeper than the 12" bare minimum required by the FBI for a proper defensive load.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The round is interesting functioning differently than that of traditional pistol calibers. Comparing it as such to others is not fair or direct as it's bullet design is not based on mass or caliber/size toward terminal effectiveness.
    Forensic science has shown that in order to asses the incapacitation potential of a defensive load, both penetration and cavity size minimums in a standardized media must be met or preferably exceeded.

It is definitely fair to compare the terminal effects of 5.7X28 in the standardized media to other, more common handgun cartridges. Doing anything but that is what is inappropriate.

Explosive fragmentation at shallow depths works for varmints, but not reliably in humans.

I think I'll buy one simply because It's a new idea and it might be fun to shoot...not sure about carry

Reloading equipment for the 5.7 is readily available. I just recently got some RCBS reloading dies for my 5.7. Factory ammo cost is just under $20 for a box of 50 (SS195 HP and SS197 V-Max) depending on where you buy from.

Reloading for this caliber drops the price essentially in 1/2, only downside is that no one is making brass, so you have to use brass from once fired factory ammo. But you can pretty much use any .224 bullet from 28gr (what is loaded in the SS195 cartridge) to 55gr.

The gun as a defense weapon is great IMHO. The SS192 cartridge is HP, but actually yaws instead of expanding like a normal HP you see in other cartridges. I've dug out a round that I shot into a dirt pile that had penetrated about 4" and was completely turned around facing its point of entry. An advantage to this is the lack of over penetration. The round expels almost all if not all of its energy into its target minimizing the possibility of hitting someone behind the target.

But above all else the minimal recoil allows you to put your shots where you want them faster and more accurately than most other rounds.

Everyone prefers their favorite caliber over others, the 5.7x28 is no different, you either love it or hate it.

You can have a ball with a CZ 52 (Vz52) with cheap 7.62X25. They are available for peanuts on the auctions. Not pretty, but built like a tank. Incredible velocity and hitting power.

http://www.makarov.com/cz52/

Links