Newbie looking at XD40sc

This is a discussion on Newbie looking at XD40sc within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I didn't want to be like most newbie posters here, I've actually read back about 10 pages reading various posts and getting educated. This ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie looking at XD40sc

Newbie looking at XD40sc

Hi, I didn't want to be like most newbie posters here, I've actually read back about 10 pages reading various posts and getting educated. This seems like a great board and you guys all seem very knowledgeable.

Quick background: I've been in the Army for 8 years (yes thats long enough to have spend 1+ year in Iraq). So I know about rifles (M4, M16, M249, and a civie SKS). However I don't know much about pistols. I fired a glock once about 5 years ago, but that is about my only experience. So, I've had my CCW in FL for a while now (about 6 months) but haven't decided on a pistol yet. I will be only buying it for home defense and CC. If I later decided to buy one for sport then I'll get a different gun. I know it is strange to ask 'what gun is better, or what one is better for me.' But...

I've been looking at the Springfield XD.40sc. I know that a few of you have them, was just wondering if you think it'll be a good starter pistol. 0.02 I think you have the XD9sc, why did you go with the 9mm over the .40? I think they both are pretty much the exact same size, so would the 9mm work better for me (less recoil, better accuracy)?

Well, thanks in advance guys, and I look forward to staying on these boards.
    Last edited by notromt; April 12th, 2007 at 12:19 PM.
    "Common sense is buried right next to personal responsibility in the social graveyard." - Andrew Wilkow

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily." - Napoleon Bonaparte

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    For starters Thanks for everything you have done for us in the Army.. hats off to you....

Second i have the full 4" size XD 40 and i LOVE it... if im not carrying my HK with me then my XD goes... their pistols are top notch and you cant go wrong with them

EDIT: misspelled a few things
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

VIP Member
    I can't speak for the 9mm, but I just got me the XDSC40 yesterday. Its my first semi-auto ( I'm a wheelie guy ). The 9 and the 40 are exactly the same size. I was expecting more recoil out of the 40, but I was pleasantly surprised. Of course I bought it for a carry gun and wanted something with stopping power , but concealable. With both guns being the same price ( Got mine for $499.00 ) I went with the stopping power. Of course a well placed shot from anything will do that. With the 9mm, the recoil will be even less. I'm sure others on here will tell of advantages to having the 9mm. Be nice if you could shoot them both and decide for yourself. I love my 40.....

welcome. you'll get a lot of opinions here but that's a good thing. you still have to decide for yourself because only you will know what fits you best. i have a couple of .40's but i just recently got the XD 9mm. i love it. there are those who have told me the a .40 is just a hollowed out 9 mm. part of me agrees. i found the .40 has a bit more of a kick but not like comparing it to a .45. i suggest you try both to really help you decide.
    What's this button do?

Well, I've never bought a gun before. Are there places that let you shoot before you buy? BTW: I live in Orlando

I was looking at the 3" XD40sc over the 9 because it is for home defense and would have better stopping power.

Also, about ammo. What do you guys suggest, and should you shoot at the range what you'd shoot if (*crosses fingers*) you had to use it off the range? I've heard about +P or Hydrashocks, what exactly are those, and can the XD handle those rounds?

Comments on first gun for soldier

Since you have been in the military for awhile, you have more hands on experience with firearms than most people buying their first gun. So I think your choice of .40 caliber is fine, since I'm sure you can easily handle the recoil and master the gun quickly. The .40 probably gives you a little more "stopping power" per shot than 9mm, assuming that you can shoot either one with the same accuracy and speed. I believe that this is why most US police agencies have adopted the .40 caliber and moved away from 9mm.

I can't comment on the Springfield XD performance, as I have never owned or shot one. I would presume that they function well, but have always been a little turned off by their appearance, which does not appeal to me much. And there are so many other brands which do appeal to me that I have lots of choices.

For a first all-around gun in .40 caliber for CCW, range and home defense, I think I'd pick a compact from a name manufacturer. My first choices (in no particular order) would be:

1. Glock 23
    2. Sig P229 or P239
    3. H&K USP 40c or P2000SK
    4. S&W M&P 40 compact
    5. Beretta PX4 compact

I've looked at the PX4 too, but it is a little bigger than the XDsc. Beretta is coming out with a PX4 sub-compact this summer, is it a good idea to buy 1st generation guns though? The storm does look 'cooler' than the XDsc but that isn't an issue for me too much. Was looking at the bi-tone model XD.

Thanks for the replies!

NOTROMT - thanks for your service. You are a great american...

I own a XD SC40 here in FL also that I picked up about a year ago. I really like it, and it is pretty easy to conceal. The only downside to it is that it is has doublestack mag so it is rather thick of a pistol (some would argue). I find that it conceals well with an IWB holster under a polo depending on your body type.

The difference between the 2 as far as recoil is very little. The 40 will have greater stopping power though.

I am happy that I got the XD since it is moderately priced, and very easy to clean. Try going to www.xdtalk.com for more info.

Ditto on the thanks for your service comment. You guys are spectacular!
    I own an XD 40; it is my principal carry piece. I shoot it well and find the extra kick of the 40 is OK. I like the ease of takedown and cleaning; I have also shot Glocks and find them to be excellent. I think it is the same as a shotgun or a rifle; you tend to gravitate to the one that fits and is comfy. As long as they are strong, troublefree and safe. I have been working on my stance and hand position as I too am new to the pistol world. I took the advice on a thread and bought the first two DVD's in the Inside the Crucible series. They are spendy but are great on draw, malfunction clearing, stance, safety. Above all they are not dry and boring, the instructor even uses a little colorfull verbiage to keep it lite and happy.
    I am relatively new to this site and am humbled by the expertise of the members. I wish I would have belonged before I bought the stuff that I now find silly or worse yet worthless.
    Semper Paratus

I'm kind of skinny 6'1" 160lbs.
    I haven't decided on a holster yet, but was looking at comp-tac.com and like the "infidel" and "c-tac". Any opinions on those? Also, not sure what IWB means.

IWB means "in the waist band".

I have not tried the comp-tac or c-tac but have tried other expensive IWB holsters and was disappointed. i finally got a uncle mikes for $12 and am very happy with it.

I have a XD 40SC and it is a very good firearm. I donít carry it on a daily basis, as I have others that I prefer, but in all of the range outings, it has been utterly reliable. I chose the 40 over the 9 because the guns are virtually identical in size and although the 40 has one less on magazine capacity, I feel that the 40 is a significant improvement over the 9 in performance. If you put any faith in the Fuller One Shot Stop percentages (not sure I do, I just like as much bullet as possible), the 40 runs about 4-5% higher than the 9. If the gun were any smaller, I would have probably gone with the 9 for less recoil, but recoil on the XD is not severe at all. My wife who has very small hands and is somewhat recoil sensitive even enjoys shooting the XD. The only suggestion I could make would be if you feel that you want night sights on the gun, order one with them. Sights on these guns can be VERY difficult to remove. I changed mine over, but I wasnít sure whether the sight or the slide was going to give up first.

As for ammo, you can get a whole array of preferences for brand, type, weight, etc. My personal carry ammo is Remington Golden Sabers in the heaviest weight available (180 gr. in the 40), but there are several good brands available. Thereís a thread here talking about ammo.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

IWB is the acronym for Inside Waist Band, a method of carry where the gun is between your body and your belt, inside your pants. The XD is a bit chubby for that type of carry , but the XD is an awesome gun. I have the XD SC 9 and couldn't be happier. I had a Walther P99 .40 before, and I much prefer the XD. For the same price, I would go with the .40, but a lot of people opt for 9mm due to ammo cost and lighter recoil. Either one would be a great choice.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the XDsc40 being "chubby'' and unsuitable to carry IWB?
    I was hoping to carry IWB since it seems to be the best method and best way to conceal.
    I had looked at a kel-tec p3at since it is real thin, but had heard that it is no fun at all to shoot and that you look for reasons to not go to the range with it. Anyone have any experience with it?
    I guess I could get something like that for the CCW, and then get the 4" or 5" XD for fun.
    Last edited by notromt; April 12th, 2007 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XDMan
    a lot of people opt for 9mm due to ammo cost and lighter recoil. Either one would be a great choice.
    These were 2 very big reasons I went with the XD9SC., I could afford to practice more, and follow up shots seem just a bit faster. I would call a some local ranges until one had these available to rent, preferably side by side, so you could compare for yourself.

IWB works ok for me, but I've got a few pounds on you. Don't skimp on the holster and I think you'd be fine.

As far as ammo, Use a premium JHP for carry, and cheapos (NOT WOLF) for practice, except that you should put at least 100-200 rounds of what you intend to carry downrange before carrying it. I Just switched from Federal Personal Defense to Speer Gold Dot 147gr, mostly based on penetration data that I've been able to find. I've yet to find a round that MY XD doesn't like.

Oh yeah, welcome home, and welcome to the forum.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links