Who carries the Sig P220r DAK?

This is a discussion on Who carries the Sig P220r DAK? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really want one of these but Im not sure about the practicality of carrying it. It seems rather big, even the carry model, and ...

Thread: Who carries the Sig P220r DAK?

I really want one of these but Im not sure about the practicality of carrying it. It seems rather big, even the carry model, and Im a smaller framed guy.

I shot a friends P220 and fell in love with it, and really want to get one for carry purposes – so lets hear from you guys/girls out there that carry the Sig P220R…let me know what you think!

I just dont want to spend the money on something that I wont carry because its cumbersome or too heavy.

Thanks!

I will be carrying a Sig 220R on/off duty once I get out of the police academy. Mine is a DA/SA, but I am seriously considering switching to the DAK once I can get the LE discount. I'm thin (6'0 and 180lbs) and I could conceal it fairly easily if I started to wear larger shirts (not snug) and had a good IWB holster. The 220s aren't that thick and the stock grips are pretty thin, the hogues are a little thicker.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

I hope you get some feedback on this--I'm considering the same pistol. My concern is the width, at 1.5 inches it's even fatter than my Glocks.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

well the Glocks are pretty much the same thickness in the frame and the slide. Sigs are thicker in the frame b/c of the grips.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Wow, good luck guys. When I started out, I carried a Sig 226. Personally, I didn't care for it off-duty & found myself carrying my back-up (S&W 442), just about all the time.

I think the 220 & any derivative of it, is a sweet .45, but they're big & heavy compared to some others. Absolutely nothing's wrong with it for on-duty, although I would like to have seen them with more capacity.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Administrator
    I love mine for duty use, I think the 220 is one of the best combat pistols ever.

Capacity is its weak spot.

I cannot say that it would be a wise purchase for ccw use though. Its big, fairly heavy and low capacity. In other words, it will sit in your safe, not on your hip.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lighter than most 1911s and same capacity or +1 depending on the mags. It is a little thicker though. If can carry full size 1911s, HK USP 45s and Glock 21s I don't see why the 220 would be difficult.

I just ordered an ELITE and it should be here Thursday.Wanted somehting a little more formal and will be dressing it with my first custom holster. I'm thinking a dark red mahogany paddle and matching clip holder, & belt. Should look good with the wood grips.I had looked at a few 220's and the dehorned SAS Carry and the EQUINOX all have good points but so far the 60% less reset trigger and the total package put ELITE out front. As for concealed carry it may end up as safe ballast but I will wear out at least one set of pajamas before I put it away.Currently a G36 or shrouded Agent so it will be bigger but wearing GO TO MEETING CLOTHES it's what I want for now.If I dress around my intended carry I should be fine.The Glock on get dirty days and in and out of a boat(LANYARD OVER WATER).Agent in the front pocket always.And as always more GOOD LOOKING SAFE BALLAST makes me warm and fuzzy.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Nice gun, but large

The Sig P220R DAK is a sizeable gun, weighing 31.2 ounces empty with a 4.4 inch barrel, and it is pretty wide. The magazine holds 8 rounds.

I have a Sig P226 that is almost identical in size, and have carried it a few times. My conclusion is that the P226 or the P220 are just too large when smaller guns are available that give you the same firepower. Here is a picture of the P220R DAK from the Sig website:

If you like Sigs and the DAK trigger, you could get a model P239 in .40 or .357 Sig that would be considerably smaller, thinner and lighter weight and have 7 round magazines - almost as much as the P220 but in a more concealable gun:

I carry the Sig P245 CCW most all the time where I think I need a "serious" caliber or if I'm leaving my comfort zone. When it's hot I usually sacrifice "serious" for "comfortable" and carry my Smith M642 in a Mikla pocket holster. The P245 has a six rd capacity. I usually carry a P220 mag as a spare since it's a perfect fit & (just sticks out a bit) with a grip X-tender there is a seamless grip.

The new P220 "COMPACT" also has a six rd capacity and they say it's a friendlier grip, although I just love my 245.

I'm thinking about a switch to the P226 BLACKWATER edition.

True it's a nine, but the tradeoff is much more capacity with similar weight. The Blackwater comes with 5 mags as well and Mec-Gar makes a 17rd flush fit mag as well for only $25 ea.

Sure, the P226 is a full size duty weapon, but it feels lighter than my Beretta M92 and it's super accurate AND rugged. I just have to decide on a good IWB & OWB holster. I'll probably go with a Blade-Tech IWB and a Galco "Concealable" OWB. Anybody have much experience carrying a P226 concealed in hot weather?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Actually Pogo2, the P229 has a12rd capacity in 40 and 357 Sig and a 14rd capacity in 9mm. But the P239 is a single stack magazine and therefore carries less. The funny thing is that (to me, at least) the P229 feels significantly bulkier and heavier than an alloy P226.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have owned a 220 equinox for almost a year. It's one of my favorite pistols to shoot. I carried it in the vehicle when we traveled on trips, and got a Don Hume IWB holster for carry. It feels alright moving, sitting, driving etc. and it fit snug to the body, it is heavy though. For all day carry- it gets heavier.

I am comfortable enough with the concealability in cooler weather with a jacket or cover shirt hanging loose, but I think it prints too much in hot weather. (I usually wear a golf shirt to work, and Tee shirts the rest.)

I carry a G19 or G23 most of the time. I still love the Sig220, it's just for range or farm shooting until fall rolls around. Think of the mathematics- 13 rounds of .40 in a smaller lighter package or 8 rounds of .45

Bottom line- GREAT gun to shoot, border line for concealed carry, doesn't work (for me) in summer.

well..

I appreciate all the info guys, I think that im going to skip the sig for a carry gun and maybe buy one down the road for a range gun.

For now it looks like im going with the Taurus millennium pt145.

Ive read some positive things about it and its a cheapy, but lifetime warranty...I dont know - i figure if it sucks im only out $300

Anyway, wish me luck and thanks for the information and opinions!

Sponsored Links