Smith and Wesson 3913?

Smith and Wesson 3913?

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson 3913? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a newbie here, so this will be my first post. Recently got back into shooting. I had grown up in the Boy Scouts ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson 3913?

Smith and Wesson 3913?

I am a newbie here, so this will be my first post.

Recently got back into shooting. I had grown up in the Boy Scouts shooting at least a few times a year. I recently purchased my first and second guns, a .38 and .22. I just signed up for the ohio ccw course at the end of the month and I am looking forward to it.

So I started my search for a carry gun. Since my 2 current guns are revolvers, I tried a Ruger SP-101 at a local range...but made the mistake of shooting .357 out of the snubby. Nice gun, but it really beat my hand up. I'm sure .38 would not be bad. Then I priced one...the poor college student thing is not liking the 400+ price tag I saw at one of the stores.

So I started my search for a small/compact 9mm. Went to Vance's in Central Ohio and they were awesome showing me around and giving me ideas. I found a 3913 I really liked, a local PD trade, and had a good price. Got a chance to go to the range and try one. I was very impressed. Easy to use gun, very good groups and only one minor issue, which was corrected by the range with a quick cleaning.

I'm pretty much sold on the gun and was wondering what others thought of this semi-auto. I have heard good things about reliabilty, it fits well for me. The aftermarket support for grips, holsters, parts etc seems good as well.

any thoughts are welcome and much appreciated...

Andrew

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    In my humble opinion, the 3913 is perhaps one of...if not the best...S&W 3rd Generation pistol produced. I have owned and carried one since 1995. It is a joy to carry (small and relatively slim) and pleasant to shoot. One of S&W's best projects. I highly recommend one as a CCW gun.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I love most all the Smith third gens and highly recommend the 3913. Stone reliable, slim, lots of really good leather available.

S&w 3913

The S&W 3913 is an excellent single stack 9mm CCW gun with a good reputation for reasonable cost and good reliability. Although the aluminum frame S&W guns don't have the large following of Glocks, Sigs, and XDs, those who use them speak very highly of them. The 3913 in particular is popular because it is quite thin compared to most alternative guns, and conceals easily. I think you will find that it measures about 0.9 inches across the slide, almost identical to a 1911, one of the thinnest CCW guns on the market.

I have a S&W model 39, the predecessor of the 3913, and it has given me excellent service for almost 40 years (I bought it new about 1968).

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    About the best bang for your buck anywhere...slim, reliable and shoots great.

I've bought,sold and traded way too many pistols over the years. The 3913 was one I really wish I would have kept. It was great gun and every time I see one or read about one I wish I still had it. Good luck!

politicalgeek, the S&W M3913 is one of the nicest 9mm pistols S&W or anyone else has ever made. If you like it, buy it. Regards, Richard

I like 'em.
    I don't care for S&W autos in general (don't hate them, but don't really like them either), and I have got to the point where I don't really like DA autos.
    Even at that, I've always liked the 3913.
    I've owned two.

I got the first when I moved back to IN after seven years in IL and could carry again. I carried that gun for quite a while, and shot it quite a bit. I was single at the time, lived within two miles of the range, and got off work at 3:00 in the afternoon- so I got to shoot it a lot. I don't think I ever had a malfunction.

The downside was that I never felt like I could shoot it as well as I should have been able to. Whether it was the gun, my ability, or if I just expected too much I'll never know for sure, but I shot most guns better at the time.

I eventually traded it off, but got another later.

The second one didn't see much use, however. I traded it off after getting an HK P7, and thought they pretty much served the same role and I could shoot the HK better.

Thanks for the comments. As I said I am pretty well decided, but its always nice to see what the general opinion of a certain item is. When I first saw this gun, before I had a chance to head to the range and try a rental, I found some good info on other forums related to it. There really doesn't seem to be any major issues. I know CCW pieces can be very subjective and its not what works for others, but what works for you personally.

As far as holsters and grips, any good suggestions? I am looking to carry IWB and I like the holster on Andrew's Leather, I think the McDaniels.

I have both bigger brothers...the 4013 and the 4513TSW. Very nice guns.
    For information on getting your CCW License in California please visit CalCCW.

It is a very good gun, I'd go for it.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Are there any differences between the 3913 and its modern day version, the 908?

Smile 3913

I've had a 3913 for about 3 yrs now. I LOVE it. No problems at all. I carry it in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster. It took about 20 wks to get the holster, but it was worth the wait.

I have the 3913 tac. I love it reliable. Very Very compact conceals really really nice. I think mine holds 7 +1 maybe 8+1. Make sure you get the pinky extender on the magazine. It really makes the gun feel nice. Hope this helps.

You picked a great pistol. I carry mine in a Milt Sparks VM II. Resist the urge to put the after market rubber grips on it-if it is for concealed carry. They tend to grab your clothing. Enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links