Springfield Armory Champion review (w pic)

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory Champion review (w pic) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a SA Champ Loaded a few years back. Never did get to a review on the gun, so here goes. I bought the ...

Thread: Springfield Armory Champion review (w pic)

Lead Moderator

Springfield Armory Champion review (w pic)

I bought a SA Champ Loaded a few years back. Never did get to a review on the gun, so here goes. I bought the Green and blued 2 tone pistol. I was not sure about the colors initally, but after a few days I got to really liking it.
    The fit on the parts seems tight enough. The finish had 1 small blem, but hardly noticable. Now after lots of carry the frame shows some wear, as does the slide.
    The pistol felt natural and just right in the hand. The rubber thin grip panels made for a slim carry gun. Recoil was very managable, even shooting 230 grn bullets or defensive loaded ammo.
    Novak night sights were bright and clear, with a gold ring on the outside edge of the insert showing the dots even in bright sunlight.
    Take down was easy, I found the supplied take town tool not needed, while the bushingless design making fieldstripping easier than the original.
    I had 1 issue witht he gun, the slide stop wore out after only 50 rnds, but SA did replace it. Over all I give the SA Champ a with a 8 out of 10 overall.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    very nice looking pistol.. i have thought about my next pistol purchase being a 1911..
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

rocky, I see yours has treated you as well as mine has. The SA Champion LW was my first 1911 and it gave me the bug. What rig do you use to carry yours? I have a simple Blade-Tech "one-size fits all" that I use the most since it will work with practically any of my 1911s.

Lead Moderator
    I use either a handmade kydex rig (made by me) or a Serpa Blackhawk holster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That sir is a very nice piece. I too have an old Champion. I sleep with it every night!! Sorry for the bad pic. I didnt have one of just the Springfield.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

I've had one for a few years as well. Only problem with mine is it refuses to feed 230gr GoldDots with any consistancy. Use Golden Sabers without a hitch. After a bit, I decided that I didn't like the OD Green. I refinished the frame with DuraCoat "Parker" and the combination is very nice. Tossed on a set of Larry Davidson Lizards, a 10-8 rear sight, some leather from Garrity, and called it good.

It's my "bling-gun".

VIP Member
    Awe Rocky, you know that gun is a POS! But hey, I'll take it off your hands for you!

I've got the SS model:
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Lead Moderator
    Nice gun and grips there Thumper.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thin grip panels?

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    The rubber thin grip panels made for a slim carry gun.
    Rocky, are those the thin grip panels in the picture? They look like regular 1911 grip panels. You can usually tell on the left hand panel, shown in your photo. Thin panels don't curve up over the plunger tube because they are too thin to do so. Notice this on the photo of my Colt below with thin panels:

Lead Moderator
    Yes, pictured, thinner than GI issue anyway.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have owned a couple of Champions, a GI WW2 no frils version with a non-bushed barrel and a pre-loaded model that had a bushed barrel. I had very good experiences with them both. The GI I customized very heavily and sold it to my best friend. It has been his only CCW since. The other became part of a trade. I wanted another 4" 1911, so I bought a Wilson Combat Professional. It is my primary CCW and has been for over 2 years now.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Links