R.I.A. 1911 .45's

This is a discussion on R.I.A. 1911 .45's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have the Rock Island Arms pistol ??? Tell me about yours. How well do you like it ? Did you have to put alot ...

Thread: R.I.A. 1911 .45's

R.I.A. 1911 .45's

Anyone have the Rock Island Arms pistol ???
    Tell me about yours. How well do you like it ? Did you have to put alot of work in your pistol to get it to perform flawlessly ?
    ....and any other comments good and bad.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

2. Remove Ads

No they both were flawless from the start about the only thing I did to them was open up the rear sight a little and paint the tip of the front one in floresent orange. They take a lickin and keep on ticken, not the prettiest pistol in the bunch but a great shooter, I have had different grips and a stainless bushing and barrel fitted on one of them but thats something I had laying around and just wanted a project to do.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

I have one. It has NEVER had a malfunction since I have owned it. I even went to the range one day and stuffed every mixed bag of crap load randomly in it to see what would happen and it fed them all without a hiccup.

No modifications at all. I can consistently break clay targets at 15 yds with no problem. With good ammo I can put every one in the head of a silhoutte target at 25yds.

Full disclosure, it was broken in with about 500 rds fired before I got it on a trade from a friend. He said he had a few malfunctions in the first 200 rds.

I don't think it really needs it, but I do plan on putting in a heavier recoil spring. The reason is, I like the feel of my dad's colt with the 18# spring. Can't explain why, I just do; something with the feel of the recoil. It's also more accurate than dad's Govt Property Colt.

Also, the sights suck, and I would like to have a tritium front with ghost ring rear installed one day, but again, it's not necessary for function. The gun functions fine stock. I have heard that some don't, but mine does.

1911 forum has a lot of info on RIAs too. http://forums.1911forum.com/
    Last edited by sgtD; April 12th, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I bought one as a 'first' 1911, didn't want to spend a bunch of money trying to find out if I liked the platform. I fired a few rounds, liked the gun, but hated the smooth wood. Had my dealer replace the grips with some nice double-diamond panels, he found that the grip screw bushings are non-standard. No big deal, but kinda weird. Fired a few more rounds, and found that I couldn't deal with the micro-sights any longer. I had some inexpensive 3dot sights installed, using the same 'post' type front sight, and found that the front sight mounting cut was crooked. Couldn't tell with the itty-bitty sight it came with, but with a larger one, it was quite apparent.

I traded it off for a Springfield.

The dealer had the slide milled with a dovetail, and mounted a better set of sights. It's still on his shelf. It'll make someone a nice pistol.

I put probably 500 flawless rounds through the gun. Shot to point of aim, reliable... just didn't have the features I wanted. I found that it was cheaper to get one that did than it was to change all the parts on the RIA.

If you want a basic 1911, and you're not going to make a bunch of changes, it's a good way to go. As a base for a custom, it didn't work well for me.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Links