New grips on my Kimber UC

This is a discussion on New grips on my Kimber UC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here are my Alumagrips on Kimber UC .40 also put some on my Kimber UC .45 dont have a picture of that one yet....

Thread: New grips on my Kimber UC

New grips on my Kimber UC

Here are my Alumagrips on Kimber UC .40 also put some on my Kimber UC .45 dont have a picture of that one yet.
    My Home Is Protected BY
    Mossberg and Kimber
    The People who Take a Bite out of Crime

1911 Ultra Carry .45 .40 and 9mm
    Mossy 590 12G

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Very nice.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    That is purdy. Other than the looks, what are the advantages of that type of grip, if any?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Nice Looking...

Not necessarily my taste, but it is a sharp looking gun...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    That is purdy. Other than the looks, what are the advantages of that type of grip, if any?
    As with most things, grips seem to be an individual thing. I've handled the ones shown in the OP's pic and they have a very firm feel but are still comfortable against your body, exactly what I look for in CCW grips.

Plus they look great!

Advantages - thinline Alumagrips

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    I can see from the picture that the poster has the "thinline" Alumagrips on his Kimber. A large advantage of these is that they reduce the grip width by about 0.20 inches from that with standard width 1911 grip panels installed. This makes the gun easier to conceal, and also gives your hand a firmer grip on the gun, as your fingers wrap more fully around the grip because of its thin profile. I have these on a Colt Defender, a similar gun, and they are quite functional and comfortable.

An additional advantage of Alumagrips is that the checkering is not sharp as on some wood or micarta grips, yet it adheres strongly to the hand because of the grooves in the metal, and the surface texture of the metal. It is very unlikely to snag on cover garments. This is a photo of mine:

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    An additional advantage of Alumagrips is that the checkering is not sharp as on some wood or micarta grips, yet it adheres strongly to the hand because of the grooves in the metal, and the surface texture of the metal. It is very unlikely to snag on cover garments.
    I've been thinking of trying Alumagrips on my Ultra CDP II, and you just mentioned what has been a question of mine. The main reason I switched from the original checkered wood grips was comfort. My holster holds the butt of the pistol very tight against my body, which is a good thing, but the sharp checkering made it uncomfortable to carry all day.

I've considered getting the slimline Alumagrips, but have wondered whether to get smooth or checkered, with IWB comfort vs. good gripping surface being the point of comparison. I'd appreciate any further thoughts you might have.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    My holster holds the butt of the pistol very tight against my body, which is a good thing, but the sharp checkering made it uncomfortable to carry all day. I've considered getting the slimline Alumagrips, but have wondered whether to get smooth or checkered, with IWB comfort vs. good gripping surface being the point of comparison. I'd appreciate any further thoughts you might have.
    I don't think the checkering on Alumagrips will irritate your skin, as it is not really checkering but rather grooves cut downward into a smooth metal surface. The grooves are wide enough to provide some adhesion as the skin of your hand presses against the grips.

But you could always go with the "half grooved" Alumagrips design, as shown on the original poster's gun, to even reduce the grooved surface area further. Or you can certainly go all the way to the smooth Alumagrips, and rely upon the checkered frontstrap of your CDP for adhesion. It could also help to get a checkered aftermarket steel mainspring housing, to give you some additional hand adhesion on the back of the grip. I believe the stock Kimber CDP backstrap is some sort of checkered plastic which doesn't grip the hand very much. I don't believe the front and back straps of the gun will be in contact with your skin in IWB carry - only the side of the grip will be in close contact with you.

Thanks for the info, Pogo2. I think I'll go with the half-checkered grip option. Probably the slim grips will make a good bit of difference also. I've been dithering on Alumagrips for some time now, so it's time to go for it. Now, where's that Visa?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Links