How Bad Did I Get Hurt?

How Bad Did I Get Hurt?

This is a discussion on How Bad Did I Get Hurt? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple weeks ago, I bought a P3AT for my wife to use as a summer carry piece. Unfortunately, I became infatuated with the little ...

How Bad Did I Get Hurt?

A couple weeks ago, I bought a P3AT for my wife to use as a summer carry piece. Unfortunately, I became infatuated with the little thing and decided I needed something for summer carry with a little more punch than my Beretta Tomcat. So today, I latched onto a new Kahr PM-9 with night sights at my local dealer. He had it marked at $779.00 (Kahrís MSRP is $896.00) and I got him talked down to $653.00. Looking around the internet, doesnít look like I got killed as Davidsonís shows the lowest price from a dealer in another state 45 miles from me at $703.99 plus I would have had to pay shipping and FFL receiving fees. How does the $653.00 price compare to what some of you Kahr owners have paid for a comparable set-up. Also, any advice about any special treatment these pistols like would be appreciated.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    That's a good price for the black one with night sites. I paid $545 for a stainless w/o night sites, but that was through a LE/Military only gunshop.

I suggest taking at least 200 rounds with you & break it in at one time. Then, try out what you're going to carry & you should be good to go.

Good luck & nice gun you have there.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Nice, and thanks for all the help with my earlier questions.

Don't mean to hijack your post, but there are LE/Military only dealers? Do we get discounts?
    "Common sense is buried right next to personal responsibility in the social graveyard." - Andrew Wilkow

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Nice buy and you got a good price I think.

I paid $613 for a NIB without Night Sights. I added Meprolights PDQ. The PM9 is a great little "pocket rocket" and should serve you well. Just remember to break it in properly and that Kahrs like to be well lubed.

Biker

$600-700 seems to be the going rate, for a PM9 w/ night sights. I picked on up last summer for ~$650. The night sights add about $100-125 to the price. Bud's Gun Shop (budsgunshop.com) tends to be one of the least expensive, but then you pay FFL xfer and shipping.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You got a good price!

1. Break it in: 200 rounds.

2. You may find that it prefers to load the first round by releasing the slide stop rather than you pulling back the slide by hand and releasing it.

This is a very concealable gun there is almost nowhere that you cannot carry it given the right holster (belly band or kangaroo carry, pocket carry, etc.)

This is the gun I carry most.

Congratulations!

1. Break it in: 200 rounds.
    Keep in mind that Kahrs are known for their stiffness. While Kahr may indicate that only 200rds is their recommendation for break-in, I'm of the opinion that they tend to be far more finicky in the first 1000rds than many guns. If you're going to carry this and depend on it for your life, you should be as close to positive the thing will work 100% of the time. Caution.

BTDT: Kahr range report; Kahr problems with "sticking" slide. Sent it off to Kahr for some 'smithing and review, but have yet to get back into the range to hammer out the final bugs.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the replies. I really like the looks and feel of this little critter and I can see it becoming a constant companion.(after break-in, of course) Our weather here has turned to cr#% but Sunday is supposed to be decent. Iíve got a CAS match on Sunday, so Iíve got 3 unfired guns Iím going to start breaking in after the match. Seems like the gun is well made, but disassembly of an XD or Sig will sure spoil you compared to this one. Seems very difficult to disassemble for cleaning but I got it done.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Just remember to break it in properly and that Kahrs like to be well lubed.
    Biker
    Thanks for the tip on lube. Thatís the kind of item I was hoping for. On the slide rails, any experience whether the best choice is a good oil or a lite grease?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The night sights add about $100-125 to the price. Bud's Gun Shop (budsgunshop.com) tends to be one of the least expensive, but then you pay FFL xfer and shipping.
    Yea, I look at Budís web site a lot and drool. Iím just glad I donít live down the block from that place or Iíd probably be divorced. I had actually printed out the page from his site for the PM40 that he has (without night sights) and has listed at $542.46. After my dealer had come down from his marked price to $689.00, I told him Iíd buy it at that but I wanted him to know how loyal a customer I was, so I showed him the printout from Budís. After he had called in the NICS check, he came back over and said heíd let me have it at $653.00. Whenever possible, I like dealing with my local dealer as without him, Iíd have a long drive to find anything or just go and look. Heís a little high if you just walk in and pay sticker price, but you can arm twist him into a decent deal most of the time. Iíve been following the progress on your range report of your Kahr so Iím aware of your problems. Iím keeping my fingers crossed that I donít have the same experience with this one, but you can be sure I wonít be carrying it until Iím sure itís 98%+ reliable.

Not to get off the subject too badly, but I read the entire ownerís manual and came across something I found interesting in relation to other posts Iíve seen on this site about magazine springs:

3. Use only KAHR ARMS manufactured Magazines. Consider purchasing extra Magazines so that they may periodically be rotated, allowing the Magazine Spring to relax.

I found this interesting given the general consensus that this was pretty much an ďold wivesĒ tale.

Well, Iíll let you know how the first range trip works out.

Thanks for all the advice.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links