Nano vs shield

Nano vs shield

This is a discussion on Nano vs shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at getting a nano today. Which on would you say has less recoil? I know everything else and there are no rental ranges in ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Nano vs shield

Nano vs shield

Looking at getting a nano today. Which on would you say has less recoil? I know everything else and there are no rental ranges in Alaska.

Albuquerque, NM (although not really NEW, not really MEXICO!)
    Sorry, never shot a Nano but I own a SHield and a RAMI and have shot LC9s, G43 and a few others. In my experience there is negligable recoil difference in 3" barreled 9's. I would concentrate on relibility reviews and how they feel in your hand if you aren't able to actually shoot them side by side. Also price and other perks like extra mags, avaialble aftermarket sights, holsters etc.
    G26Raven, 5lima30ret and Jaxson50 like this.

CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm
    CZ75 B 9mm
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm
    Taurus TCP 738 .380
    Bersa Thunder .380 (Wife's)
    Sig Sauer P238 .380 (Wife's)

Distinguished Member
    The Nano is way too small for me. I never wanted to even try shooting one after picking one up. I couldn't get a full 2 fingers on the grip. That's fine for a 380, but not a 9mm.
    Kilowatt3 and Bad Bob like this.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

I have owned the Shield in 9 and have nothing but high praise for it. I have never shot or held the Nano. I own a Beretta 92fs and love it but from what is posted by many of the Nano owners on the Beretta forum I would stear clear of it. I know the Shield is an accurate and dependable gun and the S&W warranty is very hard to beat.
    My vote is for the Shield.
    Hope this helps, Frank.

I have never shot a nano but i have fondled one and IMO the shield is a more comfortable naturally pointing pistol.

I am however biased.Nano vs shield-sws-005.jpg
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

the Nano has everything WRONG going for it, I have seen brand new from box failing to fire the first round.

When I was looking for a small carry gun I rented a Nano at two different ranges. The first one I rented I had several FTE so that is why at the other range I rented another one. I wanted to make sure it wasn't just that gun. It wasn't. The second one was just as bad as the first if not worse. I had to have a RSO help me clear one jam as the case was jammed by the next cartridge that tried to load before the case came out of the chamber. Since I didn't have any problem with any other guns I tested I doubt it was due to limp wristing. Afterwards I read several posts of others having the same type problems. Most of them said it was remedied by shooting heavier ammo, ie 124gr. But my experience was enough to make me steer far away from them.

VIP Member
    I was grossly unimoressed by the nano... Poor ergonomics mainly... When u shot it, the high bore axis made it feel very flippy in my hands under recoil. It was an immediate no. The shield is very mild in recoil, accurate, and affordable, and would be my suggestion

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    I've had a Nano. I've shot the Shield. I never much thought much about recoil with either. Got rid of the Nano - it was too picky about ammo. I would own a Shield.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array blackhawkfann24's Avatar
    I have a Nano and love it, it is one of my edc. It is a little picky with ammo, but only for the break in period. Literally after 500 rds I stopped having problems, and can now put any ammo I want threw it. When I started I was only able to put 147grn without having problems. I only by freedom munitions 147 hollow point threw it and I never have a problem with 500+ rounds threw it now. I have shot the MP but I just didn't like it as much as my nano.

All sub compact guns are finicky at first till the break in, they all like and perform better with higher grain ammo. You will get some that don't have a problem but luck of the buy I guess. I like how there is nothing sticking out, no slide lock, take down, or safty. It dose take a little to get use to the no take down but it's grown on me.

As for recoil I don't see it as much as some people say, especially from what I have shot from other sub compacts. I put talon grips on it and it is even better. I went with the Nano cause it was light, and the recoil was not as bad as others. I say go with Wich ever one you like best, every one has different views and wants. I'm glad I went with the Nano, I'm very accurate with it, it's light to carry, and it's a beretta, and when I bought it they had $100 off from them. Couldn't go wrong
    PhaedrusIV and Linejudgemick like this.

I held the Nano and the Shield and I preferred the feel of the Shield. So went with it over the Nano. I can't say anything else about the Nano, other than I passed it by for the Shield, and I've been very happy with the Shield.
    "Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy." - Gen G.S. Patton

After my experience with frame cracking on a brand new Tomcat (bought in 98) and less than 100 rounds through it, and no help from their customer service, I will never buy/trust another Beretta again. Hearing these Nano stories cements that opinion.

Had the Nano. No problems after the first magazine. I sold it after I found I liked the G43 better. Have shot the Shield and in my opinion better than the Nano.

Distinguished Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I don't know about the recoil but the Nano is one of the few guns that comes from the factory with a worse trigger than the Shield.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)
    "We all have to work out our own salvation" -- Jim Higginbotham

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkfann24 View Post
    I have a Nano and love it, it is one of my edc. It is a little picky with ammo, but only for the break in period. Literally after 500 rds I stopped having problems, and can now put any ammo I want threw it. When I started I was only able to put 147grn without having problems. I only by freedom munitions 147 hollow point threw it and I never have a problem with 500+ rounds threw it now. I have shot the MP but I just didn't like it as much as my nano.

All sub compact guns are finicky at first till the break in, they all like and perform better with higher grain ammo. You will get some that don't have a problem but luck of the buy I guess. I like how there is nothing sticking out, no slide lock, take down, or safty. It dose take a little to get use to the no take down but it's grown on me.

As for recoil I don't see it as much as some people say, especially from what I have shot from other sub compacts. I put talon grips on it and it is even better. I went with the Nano cause it was light, and the recoil was not as bad as others. I say go with Wich ever one you like best, every one has different views and wants. I'm glad I went with the Nano, I'm very accurate with it, it's light to carry, and it's a beretta, and when I bought it they had $100 off from them. Couldn't go wrong
    I don't mean to be argumentative, Blackhawkfann, but I beg to differ.

I have an XD9 Sub-Compact, and an XD.40 Sub-Compact and have never had the a single issue.

This also applies to my XDS9 as well. Not one of them has had the first hiccup since round one, and that includes a lot of 115 grain rounds thru both 9's.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links