Defensive Carry banner

First gun for a lady

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  pogo2 
#1 ·
I need some help choosing a gun for my ex wife. My kids are with her half the time so I would like to arm her and she is pleasantly willing to learn. I took her to the range a couple of times when we were married so she has limited experience, but was able to shoot pretty well. Here are some requirements:
Easy slide, Semi Auto, relatively inexpensive say $400.00 or less. Any suggestions? I have a Kahr CW-9 that I thought would be the perfect gun, but she isn't comfortable with it and can't shoot it very well. She has shot my Para 1911 and CZ 75 compact in 9mm and was able to handle the recoil.

#3 ·
went through the same with my ex only she had a bit more ex, my ex carries a Sig P225 its a bit higher priced then you are looking for but well worth it and it 9mm a little smaller then the P226 and has a single stack mag, if you are willing to spend some extra cash it might just be the ticket for her....

welcome to the forum and keep her in front on those days after court.

#4 ·
I don't recommend a Auto I would recommend a S&W model 60 38 snub nose in 38 special. It is my wifes purse gun and she knows how to shoot it well. No slides, no safties, no slides to rack, just point and shoot. When time of need arises the use of fine motor skills goes out the window so KISS . If she really wants a auto something like a Sig P232 would be a good choice, or one of the new Cougars being made by Styer for around $300 are a hard deal to beat. Just my .02

#5 ·
the sigs are also point and shoot and not many women will shoot a snub that well even most men cant.

#10 ·
My wife took a ladies shooting class and was the "star pupil" with a
.40 cal Glock 23. The instructor originally thought it would be too much gun for her, but she handled it well. We have since acquired a
G19, G26, and a Kel-Tec 3AT. I thought she would like one of the smaller guns; she likes the G19 best.

#12 ·
Easy slide, Semi Auto, relatively inexpensive say $400.00 or less. Any suggestions? I have a Kahr CW-9 that I thought would be the perfect gun, but she isn't comfortable with it and can't shoot it very well. She has shot my Para 1911 and CZ 75 compact in 9mm and was able to handle the recoil.
Do you have a range in your area where you could have her rent a few different models and see which ones she likes best? Then, you might be able to find a good used model in the price range you're looking at, if the firearms she likes are over $400 new.

Good luck to both of you, and welcome to the forum from Middle Tennessee! :wave:

#13 ·
Excellent advice. Trying to pick someone else's weapon for them is rarely successful. If it's something you want her to feel comfortable with than it has to feel natural in her hands with an action she's confident in. Take her on a gunshop tour and see what she likes, it could be anything from a .380 to a .500mag - there's just no way of knowing.
Jack

#14 ·
For a first gun I'd lean toward a revolver. Less complicated for the beginner. .38 +P's do a good job too! :yup:

#15 ·
+1 On The Revolver...

Got my wife a SW 637 with a CT Laser...she really likes it!

ret:urla9ub:

#16 ·
My wife carries... Oh... wait... I am the wife.. :blink:

(I just felt I needed to fit in as the beginning of almost every post was, "My wife.." :biggrin2: Anyway, back on track.. eh hem...)

My husband tried to lean me towards a revolver for my first gun. I have nothing against revolvers. They are great for reliability, but I was set on a semi-auto.

Maybe it's the woman in me and women always like to feel just a little "safer" or maybe it's the fact that a childhood friend would probably be dead were it not for a thumb safety (you can judge which holds more weight in my mind) but I have always insisted that all of my guns have thumb safeties (any other external safety is an added bonus).

A 1911 became my weapon of choice. The grip size on the 1911 was good for my small hands, the recoil of the .40 is very manageable, the weight is good and reliable, the thumb and grip safeties make me feel better about them if/when we have children. I got a Kimber and it was upwards to $600 used, but there are plenty of other 1911s for fairer prices (and other guns should you choose to go with a different model of handgun).

Just make sure this is something she wants, and I would recommend taking her with you and having HER do the purchasing (even if you just give her the cash) so that the gun is in her name and registered to her. That way if things start to get messy with some of the legalities there is no question over the gun's ownership.

#17 ·
If she hasnt been trained in detail on the operation of a semi-auto and the malfunction drills to the point where its almost 2nd nature (teaching an ex-wife might be cause for a 2nd divorce) I would highly suggest a small j-frame revolver with either a 2" or 3" barrel. Heck for the price you can throw a used set of CTC Laser Grips on it while will enhance her hit potential even more so unless she goes to the range alot.

#18 ·
Sig P239 in 9mm - CPO

There are quite a few CPO (Certified Pre Owned) 9mm Sigs on the market now, from police agency tradeins to Sigarms. They have been refurbished by the Sigarms Company and are resold in the $500 range. They are usually in excellent condition and very functional guns at an attractive price for a Sig.

The P239 model is a compact, single stack gun that generally comes with DA/SA trigger and decocker. Safety is provided by a long, 10 pound double action first trigger pull, so the gun is "point and shoot" like a revolver. The grip is small so it fits a smaller woman's hand pretty well. You might consider this for your ex wife.

Here is one for sale on Gunbroker for $499:

Sig CPO P239 for sale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.