First gun for a lady

This is a discussion on First gun for a lady within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some help choosing a gun for my ex wife. My kids are with her half the time so I would like to arm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First gun for a lady

First gun for a lady

I need some help choosing a gun for my ex wife. My kids are with her half the time so I would like to arm her and she is pleasantly willing to learn. I took her to the range a couple of times when we were married so she has limited experience, but was able to shoot pretty well. Here are some requirements:
    Easy slide, Semi Auto, relatively inexpensive say $400.00 or less. Any suggestions? I have a Kahr CW-9 that I thought would be the perfect gun, but she isn't comfortable with it and can't shoot it very well. She has shot my Para 1911 and CZ 75 compact in 9mm and was able to handle the recoil.

2. Remove Ads

Give the ex wife a gun? That sounds dangerous!

Welcome to the forum.

went through the same with my ex only she had a bit more ex, my ex carries a Sig P225 its a bit higher priced then you are looking for but well worth it and it 9mm a little smaller then the P226 and has a single stack mag, if you are willing to spend some extra cash it might just be the ticket for her....

welcome to the forum and keep her in front on those days after court.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I don't recommend a Auto I would recommend a S&W model 60 38 snub nose in 38 special. It is my wifes purse gun and she knows how to shoot it well. No slides, no safties, no slides to rack, just point and shoot. When time of need arises the use of fine motor skills goes out the window so KISS . If she really wants a auto something like a Sig P232 would be a good choice, or one of the new Cougars being made by Styer for around $300 are a hard deal to beat. Just my .02
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I don't recommend a Auto I would recommend a S&W model 60 38 snub nose in 38 special. It is my wifes purse gun and she knows how to shoot it well. No slides, no safties, no slides to rack, just point and shoot. When time of need arises the use of fine motor skills goes out the window so KISS . If she really wants a auto something like a Sig P232 would be a good choice, or one of the new Cougars being made by Styer for around $300 are a hard deal to beat. Just my .02
    the sigs are also point and shoot and not many women will shoot a snub that well even most men cant.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

my wife picked out an XD-9. it has a relatively small grip and easy trigger pull. my wife loves to shoot it.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    My wife carries a Taurus PT111 MilPro. Slide is easy for her. And the 9MM recoil is very manageable.

JT
    My wife has a Glock 19.

She had a Ruger P89 before that, but she likes the G19 a lot more.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I prefer autos, but she might do better with a revolver.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

My wife took a ladies shooting class and was the "star pupil" with a
    .40 cal Glock 23. The instructor originally thought it would be too much gun for her, but she handled it well. We have since acquired a
    G19, G26, and a Kel-Tec 3AT. I thought she would like one of the smaller guns; she likes the G19 best.
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

I handled a S&W M&P compact at the store the other day. May want to look at that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    Easy slide, Semi Auto, relatively inexpensive say $400.00 or less. Any suggestions? I have a Kahr CW-9 that I thought would be the perfect gun, but she isn't comfortable with it and can't shoot it very well. She has shot my Para 1911 and CZ 75 compact in 9mm and was able to handle the recoil.
    Do you have a range in your area where you could have her rent a few different models and see which ones she likes best? Then, you might be able to find a good used model in the price range you're looking at, if the firearms she likes are over $400 new.

Good luck to both of you, and welcome to the forum from Middle Tennessee!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Do you have a range in your area where you could have her rent a few different models and see which ones she likes best? Then, you might be able to find a good used model in the price range you're looking at, if the firearms she likes are over $400 new.

Good luck to both of you, and welcome to the forum from Middle Tennessee!
    Excellent advice. Trying to pick someone else's weapon for them is rarely successful. If it's something you want her to feel comfortable with than it has to feel natural in her hands with an action she's confident in. Take her on a gunshop tour and see what she likes, it could be anything from a .380 to a .500mag - there's just no way of knowing.
    Jack

VIP Member
    For a first gun I'd lean toward a revolver. Less complicated for the beginner. .38 +P's do a good job too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thumbs up +1 On The Revolver...

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    For a first gun I'd lean toward a revolver. Less complicated for the beginner. .38 +P's do a good job too!
    Got my wife a SW 637 with a CT Laser...she really likes it!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links