XD 45 compact

XD 45 compact

This is a discussion on XD 45 compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reluctant to even look at the XD's because I thought they looked like glock knock-off's. But I want a 45 and glock hasn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD 45 compact

XD 45 compact

I've been reluctant to even look at the XD's because I thought they looked like glock knock-off's. But I want a 45 and glock hasn't made one yet that I like. So I was in my local shop today and decided to check one out. I like the way the pistol fit in my hand, I like the capacity, and it looks alot like my glocks. The only thing I didn't know if I liked was the trigger. It was kind of spongy, and didn't feel like it broke as crisp as my glock triggers do. Im worried that I'll get one, get used to shooting it, and become less proficient with my glocks. Also I wonder if they are as well built, reliable, and easy to maintain as a glocks have proven to be. Any opinions?

I played with one and I have to say it had the smoothest trigger pull even though it was like my Kahr; a little long in the tooth.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

New Member Array T&A Gunsmithing's Avatar
    WE have an XD in the pay as you shoot section of the shooting range in which I am the in house gunsmith. Would say the gun has 10000 rounds through it yet with no repairs. Also no jams that I am aware of either. Seems every bit as acurate as the Glocks, and looks like it should be pretty simple to work on once it breaks. Ordered a recoil spring yesterday though and it cost $20.00 from wolf. Ours is the 4" version though and the whole works is captive. Anyway I think it's a good gun from what I can tell so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    I've been reluctant to even look at the XD's because I thought they looked like glock knock-off's.
    There's a few big differences between the XDs and the Glocks.
    1) The grip angle on the XD is the same as the 1911. The Glock grip angle is more extreme. Many people prefer the 1911 grip angle, despite Glock's marketing claiming that theirs is supposedly superior.
    2) The XD has the same trigger safety as the Glock, but it has an additional grip safety like a 1911. The gun can't be fired without a firm grip on it. Glocks are known to have accidental discharges when being holstered because of their reliance on their trigger safety.
    3) The XD in black has the same anti-rust finish as the Glock, but it also has an optional stainless-steel slide version. When I got my XD-45, the SS version was a whopping $5 more. I don't care how wonderful Glock's marketing department says Tenifer is, no coating is as good as solid stainless steel for corrosion resistance. SS looks better anyway if you ask me.
    4) The XD is a single-action firearm, unlike the Glock's double action. There's an internal striker which is cocked when the slide is racked. The trigger simply releases the striker; it doesn't have to cock the firearm as well as in double-action guns. And of course, the trigger pull and feel is identical with every round fired, unlike with other makers' DA/SA guns.

As for reliability, by most accounts the XD is extremely reliable. Also, unlike Glock, the XD was designed and built in Croatia during their war for independence from Serbia, and is the standard military sidearm there. I imagine those people were highly motivated to make a superior firearm under those circumstances.

Personally, I really like the XD because of all these features, as well as its reputation for reliability.

Great post dwolsten!

I own 3 XDs. I'll eventually get the XD45compact. I love my XDs and wouldn't give them up for a truck load of Glocks. The trigger is the best out-of-the-box trigger that I have ever shot. It gets smoother as it breaks in but always breaks clean. I have NEVER had one ftf or fte EVER. There is no doubt this is a great combat pistol.

Lead Moderator
    I think the natural point of aim between the Glock and XD will affect you some. seems ever time I pick up a Glock(I don't own one) the thing is pointed too high. Since I decided on the 1911 angle grip, all my guns are this type.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

kpw
    My biggest dislikes of the XD is the trigger and higher bore axis. I shot enough of them to know they are good pistols, though. If I were to buy one, it would be the 45 compact. They got the grip length right for a carry pistol. The XD is a true single action and it needs an additional safety. Not because of the trigger but because it is fully cocked. I'd rather have a thumb saftey on it like a BHP, CZ or HK if I had a choice. Both like a 1911 would be fine with me.
    As for natural grip angle, try making a fist and pointing your finger with your arm extended. Most people's hands are angled much more than a 1911 grip, closer to the Glock. It's muscle memory that takes over. Shoot anything often enough and it becomes more natural in feel. Most revolvers and Ruger .22s that so many cut their teeth with have more pronounced angles than 1911s. They point just fine with practice. I prefer 1911s with arched msh and mid to long triggers.
    Btw, dwolsten, stainless steel used in firearms is 400 series stainless. It will rust well before tennifer treated carbon steel will. 300 series stainless would have to be used to make it rust proof but it's not suitable.
    I'm not really bashing the XD, I think they are good pistols but not perfection. Then again, they don't make that claim!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I had a friend loan me his XD45 service model. I took it to the range last week and ran 100 rounds through it. I really like this pistol. I shot it side by side with my Glock 37 (45 GAP). I shot my Glock a little better but I am sure that would change with a little more trigger time on the XD. The XD is a great pistol IMHO. I will be adding an XD service model to my collection soon. But first I need to pick up an XD40 subcompact. I need something smaller for warm weather carry.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    The XD is a true single action and it needs an additional safety. Not because of the trigger but because it is fully cocked. I'd rather have a thumb saftey on it like a BHP, CZ or HK if I had a choice. Both like a 1911 would be fine with me.
    The problem I have with that is that, under duress, deactivating the manual safety is an extra step that'll get in the way. With the Glock or XD, you just grab and pull the trigger, and it fires; there's nothing else to think about. For a combat situation or any time there's duress, this seems to make a lot more sense. What I don't like about the Glock is that the only active safety is in the trigger, which sometimes can be accidentally pulled (like during re-holstering); with the XD, there's two external safeties.

As for single-action vs. double-action, in the case of Glock vs. XD, I don't think it really matters, like it would with an H&K or Sig; the way I understand the Glock, it's not exactly a double-action, but not a single-action either; it's like the striker is half-cocked, and pulling the trigger fully cocks the striker and releases it. My understanding is the Glock has the same trigger pull on every shot, and it's not a very heavy pull either like a DA revolver is. Therefore, it's probably fairly similar to the XDs, and as easy to accidentally pull while holstering.

As for natural grip angle, try making a fist and pointing your finger with your arm extended. Most people's hands are angled much more than a 1911 grip, closer to the Glock
    Another problem with this larger grip angle is that it causes the overall firearm length to be greater.

I'm not really bashing the XD, I think they are good pistols but not perfection. Then again, they don't make that claim!
    That's true; all that Glock marketing makes their guns out to be the best things ever invented. I should probably issue a disclaimer: I'm an engineer. Anyone who really knows engineers knows that marketers are our mortal enemies.

VIP Member
    I really like the feel of the XD Compact .45; especially compared to the Glock 21, 21SF or smaller .45 caliber Glocks.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    The problem I have with that is that, under duress, deactivating the manual safety is an extra step that'll get in the way. With the Glock or XD, you just grab and pull the trigger, and it fires; there's nothing else to think about. For a combat situation or any time there's duress, this seems to make a lot more sense. What I don't like about the Glock is that the only active safety is in the trigger, which sometimes can be accidentally pulled (like during re-holstering); with the XD, there's two external safeties.
    I'd be comfortable carrying the XD because of the grip safety although, shooting 1911s for years, I'd prefer a thumb safety instead. I would not feel comfortable carrying an XD without the grip safety. Neither would I be comfortable carrying a BHP,CZ or HK cocked without the safety engaged. However, I do carry a Glock. The striker is partially cocked and it was designed to not have enough energy to fire a round if the firing pin block failed. Sometimes ya just got to trust those engineers!

Therefore, it's probably fairly similar to the XDs, and as easy to accidentally pull while holstering.
    The only way the XD can be prevented from similar mishaps would be to change your grip while reholstering. That's easy enough at the range but under stress it might be a bit more difficult for many. I prefer to keep a firm grip on the pistol until it's reholstered. I'll pay more attention to keeping my finger off the trigger and keeping the weapon cleared of obstructions

Another problem with this larger grip angle is that it causes the overall firearm length to be greater.
    Maybe, but my G19 is a very size efficient carry pistol that compares favorably to it's competition in it's class

That's true; all that Glock marketing makes their guns out to be the best things ever invented. I should probably issue a disclaimer: I'm an engineer. Anyone who really knows engineers knows that marketers are our mortal enemies.
    Perfection is a big word to live up to. Btw, I've been a mold maker/machinist for going on 20 years. At work, engineers are either my best friend or worst enemy, depending on the time of day.

I've carried Glocks for over 15 years. While I very much DISLIKE (yeah...you read that right) the Glock's grip AND trigger pull, they have consequently RUINED every other gun out there for me!

I bought my XD-45C for the exact same reason. Glock did not make a 45 that I liked. I love my XD and am glad I bought it. I carry it and my G19. An XD is a good buy. As far as a 9mm goes though there is no substitute for a G19.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    An XD is a good buy. As far as a 9mm goes though there is no substitute for a G19.
    I agree on both statements. I was shooting this morning and the other guy at the range was shooting his XD compact. We did some talking, swapped for a couple mags. He just bought the XD for the same reason you did. I think he made a great choice. When I go to pick up another .45, the XD compact will be a contender along with the G30.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    My biggest dislikes of the XD is the trigger and higher bore axis. I shot enough of them to know they are good pistols, though. If I were to buy one, it would be the 45 compact. They got the grip length right for a carry pistol. The XD is a true single action and it needs an additional safety. Not because of the trigger but because it is fully cocked. I'd rather have a thumb saftey on it like a BHP, CZ or HK if I had a choice. Both like a 1911 would be fine with me.
    The Safety ( block/lock actually ) is Built INTO the Trigger mechanism.
    You MUST disengage it by pushing it before the trigger will move.
    AND, the striker CANNOT Move unless the trigger moves.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links