Advise on 1st 1911 - Page 2

Advise on 1st 1911

This is a discussion on Advise on 1st 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I agree with Bumper. If I could only have one pistol it would be a 1911. I've carried a1911 for probably 37 years and ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advise on 1st 1911

first 45

Well I agree with Bumper. If I could only have one pistol it would be a 1911. I've carried a1911 for probably 37 years and I am difinitely no giant. Here is my list options:
    Nothing shorter than a 4 inch barrel
    Slimline stocks from Slimtech or Alumnagrip
    If your fingers are short or you have stocky hands use
    a short trigger.
    Tuned internal extractor
    No firing pin safety
    Good beavertail
    Bevel mag well
    Flat mainspring housing
    Sharp edges removed
    and the most important things:
    Good high visible sights (night sights)
    A manageable trigger (4 lbs w/ no creep)
    100% reliability and
    Good quality magazines
    Pre series ll Kimbers were good
    Springfields are not bad, but unless you get one of the custom pistols they're a little rough. While I like all the retro-look guns in the old days the first thing we did was cutomise it to work better. Well Preacher I've said my piece and I will add a quote from an old Bible thumping friend "If you need to dispatch a bad guy you want to do it righteously". There is a lot of 1911 experience in this forum. I just finished a P.O.S.T. Instructor's certification class and my instructor didn't care for the ancient 1911, however it went through the class without a hitch and thats more than I can say for a broken Beretta and a couple of broken Glocks. My best advice is buy the best you can and practice. Some people are more comfortable with a wheelgun and maybe thats what they should stay with. "If you will do the gun will do." And yes a good quality 1911 will cost you more - whats your life worth!
    T.A.P.S.
    Tactics-Accuracy-Power-Speed

DC Founder
    Listen to TAPS CCW, he is right on the mark...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

The model you are referring to is based on this particular 1911 being chambered in the .45 GAP round. I have gotten to play with this pistol a bit, but not fire it.

~A

Quote Originally Posted by scratchy wilson
    And to add more confusion, I think it's Springfield Armory that is rumored to be rolling out a slightly smaller version-seems to be regarded as a "7/8ths" model-which might be what you're looking for.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Oh that's right...we should soon be seeing even more firearms hitting the gun shops chambered for the .45 GAP.
    That should bring the front to rear grip size down quite a bit while still keeping a .45 punch.

According to springfield 1/8 smaller grip

45 gap

I talked to Louis Awerback about the 45 GAP and I kind of agree. First let me say in the case of combat tupperware I think its a good idea. The 40 S&W is showing that it is really tuff on guns, and the 45s are too big for most people to use comfortably. The jury is still out on this cartridge, but I think it will come around. Bad thing is you can't take that old 45 case and trim it to work. Its completely different. If you have a 1911 design you don't gain anything because you can use the 45 ACP and have 90 trillion cases available for reloading. It will be another proprietory round that you'll have to buy factory ammo for. If police departments pick it up and issue it it'll go. I think it is a great round for smaller statured officers and civilians because of the 45 power and the smaller grip frame. I understand that a lot of departments are getting away from the 40 because of wear and tear on the guns too high on the pressure scale. We are still looking for something to fill the gap (no pun intended).
    T.A.P.S.
    Tactics-Accuracy-Power-Speed

QK I'm in 100% agreement with you as well.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    Gideon, I equipped my wife's 1911 with a Gunsite low thumb safety and slim line Aluma grips which made all the diference to her.
    Hey Gideon! Second that motion on the Gunsite low thumb saftey. It has made a world of difference with my short stubby thumb to more naturally ride the saftey in the thumbs up/forward position without having to stretch or alter my firing grip.

One other addition I found useful for fitting the 1911 to my hands was an oversize mag release made by Wilson Combat and a few others. The button is oblong or rectangular shape extending back toward the grip to minimize hand movement required to depress the release while making mag changes.

Just my 2 cents worth & change!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

The GI or the Mil-Spec (that has the taller sights) would be a good starting point IMO. Both come with short triggers from the factory and that would probably work for you, plus theyre cheap to boot so if it works for you thats great. The triggers are heavier and have more creep though. Dont rule out the used market, I picked up a series I for $550, the difference in price is probably half what it would cost to have a Mil-Spec or GI model customized to the same condition. But to be fair, I got that Kimber from a friend of mine (most the series ones I've seen in the same and sometimes a little worse shape were around $650).

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

thanks to all!

I appreciate all of the advise and feeback guys! Good stuff. I think I have to try this but I'm going to sift through your replys a little. In my area of Missouri it's impossible to try weapons, no one has ranges with rentals. There may be a place in St. Louis. I'll have to check. I guess I should try to get something that's a decent platform to begin with that isn't too expesive but one that has potential. A few of you mentioned the SA Mil Spec. I'll definitely check it out. There's one guy on this site who posted pics of his GI that he made grips for. That's one of the best looking weapons I've ever seen! People would think we're crazy but next to my family, my Lord, and my Bible, guns rank at the top of the list! I think I'll have to have a 1911 .45 just once in my life! Thanks again and if you guys think of what would be an ideal "starting In" 1911 that could be customized later but wouldn't be too bad to start out with, then please feel free to sugest it.

Thanks!
    Gideon

I Think I've made a decision

I think I've made a decision. I think the SA mil spec would be a good choice. I got to hold a GI and a Mil Spec today. I REALLY liked the look of the GI but the sights are sooo much better on the mil spec! And I know there are some other advantages to the mil spec as well. I've found a dealer who'll order me one for $545.00 which sounds like a fair price. I don't like the black plastic grips but I can add some walnut woods later. In fact, I'd like to ask the gentleman who posted pics of his home made walnut grips if he'd be interested in making some for me I though his were great on a GI. I'd like the same look. If anyone knows where you can buy some nice dark walnut grips that are plain and don't cost an arm and a leg, please let me know! I think the 5" standard version will be just a good weapon to enjoy.

If you think I'm going astray, please pipe in and I want to thank everyone for their suggestions!

"You have chosen wisely"

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    I think I've made a decision. I think the SA mil spec would be a good choice.
    Yup, I think a SA Mil Spec is a good 1911 to start with and a good base from which to start if you get hooked and want someone to work it over for you.... :smexico:
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    I think I've made a decision. I think the SA mil spec would be a good choice. I got to hold a GI and a Mil Spec today. I REALLY liked the look of the GI but the sights are sooo much better on the mil spec!
    You echo my sentiments exactly. If the GI model had Mil Spec sights, well okay it wouldn't be accurate to call it a GI model but it would be a much more attractive piece!

You picked exactly what I would have (Well mine would be stainless...).

That is a good choice

Now what about holsters and mags?

Well, I ordered it and it'll be here next week. I went out and bought a box of rounds for it. BOY I couldn't believe how big they are! I've already begun looking for
    1. Nice looking grips (I want some smooth woods). I've found a few sites that offer some that look nice.
    2. An extra Mag or two; do any of you have some recommendations? It only comes with one!
    3. A Holster. I don't think I'll ever carry this unless it's winter and i have a big coat so I'm thinking a middle of the road OWB and then a reasonably priced IWB. I thougth about getting a fobus paddle holster for at the range since they're cheap, easy on/off, etc.
    4. And cheap practice ammo. I've been hitting the sites to see what I could find. I did find some Winchester white box 100 rounds of 230 FMJ for just shy of $20.00. Is that reasonable?

Thanks for the advise. I'll be sure to post my impression of the SA and the .45 ACP after I get to shoot it in a few weeks. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links