Advise on 1st 1911 - Page 3

Advise on 1st 1911

This is a discussion on Advise on 1st 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I too have small hands, carry a Kahr Arms P9 as my main carry gun, but also carry a Springfield 1911 A1 military spec. (Wearing ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advise on 1st 1911

Boy I wish we had a pastor like you.

I too have small hands, carry a Kahr Arms P9 as my main carry gun, but also carry a Springfield 1911 A1 military spec. (Wearing it right now as a matter of fact.) My hand fits it perfectly. Price was in my range too, about $450. May not be the fanciest looking gun on the market but gets the job done and I find it very accurate. They are heavy however. I carry both guns in Tucker Gunleather IWB holsters. By the way, I'm in purchasing too.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well hello havegunjoe! Spent 21 years in the Air Force as a purchasing agent/contracting officer. Got out to answer the Lord's call to preach but I'm pastoring a small country church so I'm the purchasing manager for a small company too. Helps keep food on the table.

I can't wait to get my 1911. It'll be the first gun I've ever purchased without any specific reason other than the fact that I just think it's a great weapon. I would have liked a high end SA but alas, the funds just aren't there and I already feel guilty enough! It's a plain gun but I'm going to put some smooth wood grips on it. There was a guy on this site that made his own walnut grips and put them on one and it looked great.

I'll check out those hosters you mentioned, thanks!

Administrator

Gideon

Gideon...You Said:
    "Spent 21 years in the Air Force as a purchasing agent/contracting officer. Got out to answer the Lord's call to preach but I'm pastoring a small country church........"
    God, Guns, & Guts ~ You're A-OK in my book.
    Heck...with SA you get a solid quality forged & machined slide & frame.
    You made a good choice.
    Congrats! on your brand new firearm! Enjoy!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I just realized something quite remarkable...

Did we all just agree we like the Springfield Mil Spec to some degree?

Did I just agree I, the only non-1911 owner/devotee on this forum, a goober so devoted to the round gun, do in fact like a gun with a detachable magazine, an external safety, that facilitates cocked and locked carry?

I noticed it's a full moon tonight.

DC Founder
    1. Not too sure about grip recommendations, I will leave that to someone else since I have recently become converted to the slim AlumaGrips.

2. Wilson 47D magazines are the best I have found and the only ones I will trust with my life in a 1911. Use the one that came with it at the range.

3. Lot's of good holsters out there. If you want to carry OWB, I would echo what acparmed told me (and would tell you if he wasn't on walkabout) look at the Andrews Leather Hybrid Saddle holster. It may be a little more than you want to pay, but it will be the last OWB you will ever have to buy. My full sized 1911 honestly disappears on my hip with that holster. It carries high enough to be very concealable and is solid as a rock with a good belt.

4. IMHO you cannot beat Winchester "white box" for the range. I believe just under $20.00 is the standard Wal-Mart price and is very reasonable.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Did we all just agree we like the Springfield Mil Spec to some degree?
    Yes, we did.

Did I just agree I, the only non-1911 owner/devotee on this forum, a goober so devoted to the round gun, do in fact like a gun with a detachable magazine, an external safety, that facilitates cocked and locked carry?
    Yes, you did.

I noticed it's a full moon tonight.
    Yes, it is.

Now that we're all in agreement, when are you going to buy yours. Time's a wastin'.......
    Bumper

Talking

Either when I finally can't contain my own curiousity, or you send me the $490 I need. I'll put the $60 in my wallet with it and order one from my FFL as soon as the check clears.

DC Founder
    Well, I guess we'll have to wait for your curiosity to get the better of you because my contingeny fund dried up this week. Completely. But I have some good stuff now so it is all worth it.
    Bumper

And now for the holster dilema!

I appreciate the advise some of you gave on holsters. I'm looking at a Tuckers OWB and and one from Andrews. Once is suede lined, one is not. On one site, I found this quote from Mr. Alessi: Note: "Any smooth vegetable tanned leather, vs. chrome tanned leather would be good for a lining. Suede is definitely not recommended for a lining. It absorbs oil, and then dirt, and powder residue stick to the oil, get embedded into the suede, and act like sandpaper on your guns finish. Most suede is also chrome tanned, which is a process of tanning using chromic acids to soften the leather. All garment leather is chrome tanned for softness, but unless specifically treated to neutralize the chrome salts in the leather, (which most aren't), the chrome tanned leather will eat blueing off a gun in no time." I was wondering if any of you have had any issues with Suede lining? Also, does the modified saddle holster from Anderews hold your weapon securely enought for every day wear? I noticed they have a cut down the front to allow you to draw and present the weapon faster, i.e., you clear leather sooner. The regular saddle version of this OWB has a full holster in front. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gideon

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    Also, does the modified saddle holster from Anderews hold your weapon securely enought for every day wear? I noticed they have a cut down the front to allow you to draw and present the weapon faster, i.e., you clear leather sooner. The regular saddle version of this OWB has a full holster in front. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Gideon, I would recommend that you call Sam Andrews and talk to him about the tanning of the lining and would be interested in hearing what you find out. I can tell you that the lining is very soft and does not put a spot on my gun. Of course, I haven't had it long, but with the attention to detail in the holster I would be very surprised if Sam did anything less than the ideal.

Also, like you, I was a bit concerned about the design of the Hybrid. That long cut does look like it may make the gun vulnerable in a scufflle. The gun, amazingly isn't prone to any movement when in the holser at least when new. And, there is a tensioning screw at the bottom that allows you to tighten it up as the holster breaks in. Mine is completely loose at this point and the holster holds the gun securely. It is so form fit it almost clicks when you seat it all of the way down into the holster, but draws smoothly and effortlessly. I'm thinking a lot of thought and trial and error went into producing that design. The final design was worth the trouble. Sam is very knowedgeable and one of those guys that are just good to talk to. If the holster doesn't sound like it will be what you are looking for he will probably tell you.
    Bumper

Well Bumper, I did call Andrews leather. Not sure who I talked to but they said it's true about the acid found in most tanned suede, however, he said they treat their Suede once the holster has been fashioned with Silicone which they feel either conteracts or serves as a barrier to the tanning acid as well as a barrier to moisture. They feel the softer suede will do less harm in the long run than regular cow hide but they do offer a thin cow hide lining if a customer wants that.

On your Hybrid Saddle, do you have a thumb release strap? At this point, I don't plan to carry my SA very often if hardly at all and when I do, i don't expect to carry it cocked and locked so I'm thinking I'll get either the regular saddle or they hybrid without the thumbstrap. I'm an absolute newbie with a 1911 so if you've done alot with both types and are confident that I'm more than likely going to come to the same conclusion you have when I've had some experience, please let me know. If the thumb strap is definitely the way to go, i'd be willing to listen to the voice of experience.

I ordered two Wilson mags today, have a pair of kingwood grips on the way from a man named Hedin, and have 300 rounds layed up so far. Lord have mercy but I almost feel like a kid! I paid for the weapon today and got to look it over. Now I'm waiting for the permit to acquire which we have to get here in Missouri. It felt great and I can't wait to shoot it!

I've decided to go with an OWB for now because I have my Kahr for IWB.

Bumper, (or anyone else), have you ever used a kydex holster? If so, how was it on the finish? I was thinking of picking up a cheap fobus paddle holster in kydex (or plastic) just for range use until I get a leather holster.

Thanks again for all the good advice!

answering my own question

Well, I just read a thread in the other section about strap vs no strap. I can see you say no to'em Bumper. I guess for an OWB I'm a little nervous about retention but I'm not going to carry cocked and locked. Most of my carry will be at a range, in the woods, etc., so I'm leaning towards Andrews regular saddle OWB. It's too bad you can't try these things out more. The hybrid looks infinitely better to draw from but it doesn't look like theres much holding such a large heavy gun. Well, I'll think about it for a day or so. I don't think I can go wrong with the regular Saddle.

thanks all and God Bless

Gideon

DC Founder
    Honestly, Gideon, I don't think, if you tried a hybrid, that you would have any worry about losing control of the gun. If I snug that screw down (I just did to try it) you could do cartwheels without it coming out. But, if you aren't planning on actual concealed carry with it, you could probably go with the strap. I would still get the Hybrid with the strap, though. That cut makes drawing so much easier. I think if you try one of those holsters you are probably want to carry in it all of the time when you go OWB.

And, yes I have a kydex that I was very concerned about scarring the finish of my gun. It didn't wear on it at all. I still don't like it though but that is a bias on my part. I just like leather....
    Bumper

Thanks Bumper for the extra input. I think I will get the hybrid, I'm just going to mull over the strap or not. I really appreciate your input! I'll probably get a fobus paddle to hold me over at the range but I like leather too for OWB and I think this rig with a good belt will make for a good carry. Thanks again for all the input!

Gideon

DC Founder
    You're welcome, Gideon, and be sure and let me know how you like it after you get your gun nestled in there. Strap or not, it's a hell of a holster.
    Bumper

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links