Do you sell your guns sometimes? Never?

This is a discussion on Do you sell your guns sometimes? Never? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading a lot of posts and noticed a number of folks talking about guns they'd sold. Even Betty (I think she's a moderator?) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you sell your guns sometimes? Never?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Do you sell your guns sometimes? Never?

I've been reading a lot of posts and noticed a number of folks talking about guns they'd sold. Even Betty (I think she's a moderator?) mentioned having a K40 up for sale? How do you feel about selling your weapons? Do you loose a lot on the deals? I've only gotten rid of two weapons in my whole life, an old .38 I got when I first joined the military (I think it was stolen and it left powder burns on your hand) and an old Berretta .380. Of the two, I only regret selling the .380. Everything else, I've kept and bascially planned on handing down to the children. So when/what do you sell?

Gideon

2. Remove Ads

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I'm fickle. I sell and trade at a whim. I do have a 629-5 and a Tussey .45 I'll probably never sell.

But it's easier now, it's my job to sell knives. And it gets easier. At first I wanted to play with them all. Now it's mundane.

You give me money, I give you your toy. I buy new toys.

There's only one gun I'm considering selling and it's because I've lost my confidence in my ability to remember to turn off the safety under stress.

But I am considering keeping it; perhaps I can rebuild and relearn. I have no issues with it; just my own doubt in myself.

Otherwise, I normally spend too much time researching what I want to become unhappy with it. I try to know exactly what I am getting beforehand, or at least real close.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Euc,

What kind of gun?

DC Founder
    I am somewhat of a compulsive gun buyer. I find something I want, save and buy it. If it's not all I thought it was going to be I sell it and start the process all over again. I have several I will undoubtably never sell for sentimental reasons but I always want more. Some I experience seller's remorse once they are gone but usually am busy looking for the next one. I rarely make anything off the deal except experience ...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I have not sold a single weapon since 1987. I have kept them all but I have also researched everything prior to plunking down any cash. I also buy all my weapons cash so that I am not paying interest on them.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

I, too, am a compulsive buyer. Yes, I've gotten myself into some potential financial difficulty. Now, I must sell and endevor to cure myself of my evil and irresponsible ways. Just in the past couple weeks I've sold two, put three on consignment(one apparently has money put down already), and got to decide on what to do with these damned O/U's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    Euc,

What kind of gun?
    The P89 Tourist.

I don't want to spend the $110 or so on a decocker slide, and that one round not firing because I forgot to turn the safety off has spooked me.

It's not a bad gun; I failed it, it didn't fail me. The only mechanical problem I have with it is that you have to very firmly insert the magazine, and doing this without slam loading it is a pain in the rear.

The thought of forgetting to turn that safety off in the heat of combat genuinely frightens me now. It didn't before but it does now. If I forgot to do it even once after six months of constant work with that gun, I sincerely doubt I am competent to use such a gun.

I count myself blessed I was facing a paper target during a qualification test and only suffered a little bit of rib poking. Had that been a real opponent, I wouldn't be here to whine about it.

I cleaned it and put it away. I haven't touched it in a month. I am going to replace it with something, be it another revolver more suited for carry duty or a different format of semiautomatic pistol.

I am debating whether that is a good reason to get rid of it. Perhaps I should keep it, and try to get my confidence back. But even then I don't want to develop a false sense of confidence and forget to turn that safety off when it actually matters.

Ive Sold 2 A Smith Model 29 in 44 mad Recoil just to much i guess for the way i wanted to load it didnt fit hand well... It went for Super redhawk 454 Casull much better gun ...

Other I sold was a Sig 229 owned it 3 weeks As a lefty i just couldnt make it work for me sure i could do like some guys have and trained everyday with it till i was sure and ruin all the skills i had aquired with my other pistols... So since i couldt operate the controls easy off it went no more sigs for me

Red face

I tend to hang on to any gun I buy. The only exception is the Colt SAA I sold last summer to buy the Kimber Eclipse. Bought it in an Austin Tx pawn shop back in 1976 for $175. Shot it for 15 years or so, then discovered it was an oldie...made in 1881, 1st gen....someone had switched the cyl and barrel from 44-40 to a .45.....anyway I quit shootin it.....got $750 for it at a gun show. I don't think I'll sell anymore tho. I like having different caliber weapons too.

Administrator

I'm An Expert

I'm an Expert at losing money on gun deals.
    I used to buy them new and then constantly trade them back to my dealer so that I could always buy and shoot something new.
    Way back then....during my Gunaholic years...I had to try shooting everything.
    I would lose some $$ every doggone time on those trade backs!
    But, I think it was worth it since I got to shoot so many different firearms.
    Looking back....There were a couple more than a few that I wish I had not traded back.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

During my "gun" life, I've bought a bunch and sold a bunch of guns. I liken them to holsters - they look good and some people rave about them, but you don't know what works for you until you try it awhile. So, if I think I'll like a firearm, I buy it and shoot it a lot. If I like it, I'll keep it. If I don't like it as much as I thought I would, I'll sell it. Of course, most of my buys & sells are with used pistols/revolvers, so I don't get hurt too much by selling. And, of course, I have a few pistols & revolvers that I would never sell. My widow can decide what to do with them. :)

Good shooting.....deadeye.

Assistant Administrator
    Only gun I have moved on in last four years was a Citori Hunter - never shoot trap and skeet much so thought I'd liquify the asset. Regretted it since - I shoulda kept it.

Only plus side was - part of it financed a M27-2 I had been searching for to replace one I'd had two decades before.

Currently - my inventory is obscenely inflated and have considered whether to start ''thinning down'' .... but keep finding excuses not to. Ideally I should be a tad brutal. I have a commem' 1911 which is about the only gun I don't shoot - it's just plumb pretty - but oughta go really.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I traded my P95DC in on, um, something, then the money I had towards that something went to my thompson. I paid $275 for the Ruger, and got $250 in trade. I traded my G17 and $200 for a Kahr PM9. I think he said it had a $629 price tag and I only had $450 in the glock, so I came out ahead. My last one, I lost my ass on. The AWB had died and I had no money, so I traded my 18.5" Mossberg 500 Mariner for an AR lower (I had the rest) and an ambi safety (that I dont use). And I did replace the 500 shortly after with a 20" 590.

Other than those three, I'm not one to get rid of guns. At the moment, I have 12, with one more on the way. I'd have to admit though, if I got the right offer for the Kahr, it would go. I think the only reason I still have it is because I'd lose more on trade than I'd like.

I've bought, sold, and traded a lot of guns in my time. I've lost money, and then again, I've made a lot on the trade, and sometimes just broken even on the trades. I had severl shops that I dealt with, knowing that I could buy one gun at one place, and get the money back for it at another.
    I've even bought several models over again, just because I've enjoyed the feel of it in my hands. I'm kinda wierd huh?
    To be completly honest, I've probably owned over 300 handguns in my time. I have kept many that I've bought though. Some I will never give up, ( I have a large Smith, Colt, collection)others however, will make it to the shows. I can also say that I've never sold any of my NFA weapons, as the price of em keeps climbing. Better than gold right now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links