1911 Colt & Clone FUNCTION CHECK - Page 2

1911 Colt & Clone FUNCTION CHECK

This is a discussion on 1911 Colt & Clone FUNCTION CHECK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, I've seen that before but, not with a factory new firearm. When folks "home smith" and start adding "drop in" aftermarket parts...sometimes the drop ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 1911 Colt & Clone FUNCTION CHECK

Administrator
    Yes, I've seen that before but, not with a factory new firearm.
    When folks "home smith" and start adding "drop in" aftermarket parts...sometimes the drop in parts don't drop in exactly as they should...and then the thumb safety, the sear, and the hammer go to war with each other.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Pencil Check

I once bought a series 80 Colt 1911 that had the plunger lever installed improperly by the prior owner. First time at the range, the gun went click instead of bang.

Now, after cleaning (especially after a detail strip) on any Series 80 Colt, I do a final function check.

With the gun empty, cocked, and pointed towards the ceiling, I drop a pencil down the barrel - eraser end first. Pull the trigger and the pencil should be launched towards the ceiling. If it doesn't the gun won't fire

Excellent post. I consider that common knowledge, but forget how many folks buy, knowing nothing. Should be required before purchase, kinda like knowing how to change a flat tire before getting a driver's license!

JEC
    Good advice for the 1911 owner. I have followed this method of checking functionality for years. The one step I perform last though is :

"SEAR ENGAGEMENT test: Lock the slide back, grip gun normally, then release the slide stop, allowing slide to slam home with force. The hammer should NOT fall for any reason. If it does then the hammer/sear engagement is too weak. Repeat test once again to be sure."

I will load 2 or 3 'snap caps' in a magazine. This not only protects the breech face, hammer and sear but ensures the round will chamber properly.

Jack

Thanks

One thing I noticed was the half-cock test (step 5). A newer Springfield Armory pistol does this the same way as a commercial series 80 (which I assume you mean a Colt series 80) in that the hammer falls to almost all the way down and when you pull the trigger it comes down but not with enough force to fire the weapon (so they say - I've never tested it).

Great posting and it all makes sense to me. A lot of these things are full of tests that only matter on competition guns. This one is a lot more practical.

I do something similar if I take my 1911 apart (ie remove the hammer, trigger, etc - not just a field strip). I also only load two rounds in the mag the first time I shoot it after I've disassembled it, just in case I REALLY goofed something up.

I just bought a new Springfield Micro Compac 45 and will be picking up later this week. Thanks for posting the function checks... since it's a used gun I'll definitely be running them before hitting the range

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckInNy View Post
    I just bought a new Springfield Micro Compac 45 and will be picking up later this week. Thanks for posting the function checks... since it's a used gun I'll definitely be running them before hitting the range
    Congrats, just know that Springfield uses Series 80 hammers and will not pass the half cock test referenced in the walk through.

DEC
    Thanks for this post, I will print and put on file in the den..

Quote Originally Posted by dhberry View Post
    . . . pondering the purchase of one of the new Taurus 1911s . . .
    Thank goodness you got the Sig! From my personal experience with Taurus semi-automatics and extremely poor customer service, I've made it a rule not to buy anything made south of the border. The Sig ergonomics are terrific. I'll have to get one, too, someday. (After I have all the revolvers I want first!)
    "A militia when properly formed is in fact the people themselves . . . and include all men capable of bearing arms . . . to preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms."

Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Thanks for the link.

New to 1911's and this information is worth a bookmark. Thank you.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

NRA Member
    USCCA Member

hey folks, new guy here and super glad i found this forum and specifically this thread!

my commander "fails" the half cock test. i am able to fire it when it is only half cocked. im assuming my commander is based on the 80 series firing pin? if not, i guess i need to take it to a smith.
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    hey folks, new guy here and super glad i found this forum and specifically this thread!

my commander "fails" the half cock test. i am able to fire it when it is only half cocked. im assuming my commander is based on the 80 series firing pin? if not, i guess i need to take it to a smith.
    Yes, your XSE has a Series 80 style firing pin safety.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Yes, your XSE has a Series 80 style firing pin safety.
    thanks for the quick reply! much appreciated. so this is not a safety issue for me in any way, correct?
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links