Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm? Opinions?

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm? Opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a buddy who's talking about getting one for CCW. Any opinions out there? Just curious if folks like them.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've got a buddy who's talking about getting one for CCW. Any opinions out there?

Just curious if folks like them..
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Senior Moderator
    I have the compact M&P in 9mm.

I am very impressed so far, and it has become a frequent carry gun.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Assistant Administrator
    eagle5 has very recently got one and seems to like it.

Most feedback I hear is very positive on M&P pistols.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Some larger PD's have bought them and they have had some minor issues with hard use. I think most of them have been corrected.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i had a chance to fire the cmpact model a few weeks ago. the only thing i didn't like about it was the trigger. i'm used to a much heavier pull, due to shooting .357's as a kid and shooting with a sw9ve. everything else about it is great.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    eagle5 has very recently got one and seems to like it.
    Chris is right; I do like the M&P. I originally bought a fullsize M&P9 on impulse. I was in the market for a fullsize high-cap 9mm and initially thought about the XD9 since I already have and XD9SC. I was fortunate enough to compare the XD9 and M&P9 side-by-side, and for some reason, I brought home the M&P9. Several range visits and 1200 rounds later, the M&P was exactly what I was looking for. I have had no problems with it, itís accurate, and it has ergonomics that work for me. I like the fullsize enough that I got a M&P9c which is currently my EDC while the Slim Hawg is getting bandaged at Para.

The M&P does not have the extensive and most impressive track record that the Glock does. With that said, I see no reason why the M&P wonít one day share the same kind of respect. Granted there are going to be issues at first, but Smith & Wesson will take care of these (i.e. Revision N).

I do not have the 9mm, but I do have an M&P .40 Compact and I love it. I only have about 350 rounds through it so far, but they have been perfect. I traded in my G27 for this gun. It feels like it was made just for my hand, I shoot it better (more accurate) and the felt recoil is less. The trigger on the M&P can feel a bit gritty at first, but it smooths out. I like mine a lot.

Ron

I also like that it is made in the USA!!
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Nice pictures ront.

I shoot an M&P 40c at a local gun show and compared that to the XD40SC. I liked the ergonomics of the M&P over the XD. The ability to change out the palm swell piece was a big plus in my book. The size of the 40c was comparable with my G23, so I don't think there will be any issues with concealment.

Recommendation: Have your friend shoot one for themselves and see how they like it. The best thing is to rent 2 different guns at the same time and compare how they feel and how they shoot for themselves. Some people I talked to like the feel of the XD over the M&P. I personally like the feel of the M&P over the XD.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Some larger PD's have bought them and they have had some minor issues with hard use. I think most of them have been corrected.

Just curious, but can you name even 1 or 2 depts that are getting "hard use" out of any of the weapons they have??

Administrator
    Sure. Cincinnati has had them for at least a year. They are put through a extensive torture test before the purchase thousands of guns. A number of smaller depts. in the area also switched. I personally took part in these tests.
    Anybody who knows anything about pistols will agree that daily carry in all weather conditions is the hardest "normal" thing you can do to a gun.
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 16th, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

"Torture tests" aren't the same as putting a duty weapon to hard use, and neither is carrying a weapon in a holster in different weather.

Don't misunderstand, I get what you're saying, just think you phrased it badly.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=20336

Columbus is switching to the M&P too, that thread has a link to the newspaper article that talks about their growing pains and testing they did before adopting it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    "Torture tests" aren't the same as putting a duty weapon to hard use, and neither is carrying a weapon in a holster in different weather.

Sure it is, in fact its exactly the same. The "torture" tests were done over a period of time, and shot thousands of thousands of rounds through them, proving them viable for service. The tests were designed to create real world situations that the guns will encounter.
    Such as abuse, neglect and extensive range work and the rigors and abuse of daily carry. The were shot with poor techniques, upside down sideways in the dark, in the cold, rain, ice, snow dirty, clean, dry, over oiled and with missing parts or assembled wrong. We used dirty ammo, old ammo, wet, dry, whatever we could find.

No, we didnt run it over with a truck, dunk it it salt water or bury it in the ground. We didnt even try and cook it on a grill. We did stuff one with sand though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I stand corrected, not the a typical torture test, as H&K, Springer XD's and other weapons have been given "torture tests" and all of them have still had problems.

So how bout some more clarification,
    How many sample guns were used during your testing and what problems did you encounter.

Administrator
    I dont have an exact number of guns used, if I had to guess it was about 20.

The most common problem was feeding related. Double feeds and stove pipes. I think the mags were to blame on the double feeds, stoves pipes in the dirty and neglected guns.
    Some smaller parts gave out with the heavy shooting, but nothing far out of the ordinary. Springs and the like were the big problems, but again, nothing that wasnt expected.
    Another major issue was with the holsters, and the limited choices. Not the M&P's fault, I just wished the city listened when the were told of the problem. Smith did, that is why there is a little bump out on the frame now to keep the mag from ejecting when its not supposed to. With some holsters it still does...

All in all, the gun did well. Others have done better, but the M&P held its own. It is nice to have a viable choice in a duty gun from an American maker. To me, its still a Sigma done the way it was meant to be the first time around.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links