1911 model opinions

This is a discussion on 1911 model opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have been researching 1911's and have four options that seem to have the features I am looking for and the price tag as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 model opinions

1911 model opinions

Ok, I have been researching 1911's and have four options that seem to have the features I am looking for and the price tag as well. I know I need to handle each one, but doing that in Albuquerque could mean visiting nearly every store in town so I like to have the opinions of others in hand so I know what to look for on each one. Below is my list, if you have an opinion on any of them (especially if you own one), please share. I want the good and the bad so I can make an educated decision and you guys have always provided great info.

Springfield- Loaded Full Size Lightweight Bi-tone w/ night sights (PX9104LP)

Springfield- Loaded Full Size Stainless Steel .45 (PX9151LP) -

Smith & Wesson SW1911 108303 45ACP 5IN MATTE (Tactical Rail with plastic grips)

Para PXT 1911 SSP Gun Rights

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I am by no means the 1911 guru round here but I would choose the PX9151LP!

But I like and carry - large and heavy
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by koolguynet View Post
    Springfield- Loaded Full Size Stainless Steel .45 (PX9151LP)
    That's the ticket!!!!!

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

I would agree, the PX9151LP. It sure is a beauty.

I would avoid Para Ordnance. They use cast frames and slides which are not as strong as the machined parts Springfield and S&W use. Of your choices I would go with either of the Springfields. They make a quality product with few frills.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Roadrunner, that is very good info. I did not know that.

I know the Springfields are primarily manufactured outside the US, where are Para and S&W's made?

Springers are made in Brazil by Imbel. Theyare assembled, and pass (or fail) final inspection here in the US.

Para's are made by our friends to the north (Canada)

I am not certain as to where the Smiths are made. They may be US manufacture.

Of those on the list, I echo the others thus far. The stainless Springer is a looker. I carry the blued version myself.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Personally, as far as full sized .45s go, I'm partial to my Colt Government Model, MK IV, Series 70. Manufactured in '81 purchased new, by me in '83...it's not one that you listed, mea culpa. Having said that, I don't think you can go wrong with any Springfield model, if something is wrong with one of their products, they do stand behind them.

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I would avoid Para Ordnance. They use cast frames and slides which are not as strong as the machined parts Springfield and S&W use. Of your choices I would go with either of the Springfields. They make a quality product with few frills.
    Roadrunner, have there been frame failures with Para Ordnance pistols? I have two Paras and I am concerned. Please document Para frame failures, if, substantiated I will sell mine. Thanks and regards, Richard

I was in your shoes, 1911 shopping, around January, I was looking at the Para’s and S&W’s, decided to go for a more traditional extractor incase I wanted to do any customizing, of the Springfields I would go for the steel because I am more accurate with a heavier handgun, for myself I wound up with a PX9109L, the two factory magazines took a few weeks to break-in the springs, after three weeks of letting them sit fully loaded they work just fine, no problems since then

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker45 View Post
    Personally, as far as full sized .45s go, I'm partial to my Colt Government Model, MK IV, Series 70. Manufactured in '81 purchased new, by me in '83...it's not one that you listed, mea culpa. Having said that, I don't think you can go wrong with any Springfield model, if something is wrong with one of their products, they do stand behind them.

I second this one! I'll stick with my old Colt MarkIV Series 70 any day! BUT... if you only have the choice between Springfield, Smith, and Para....go with the Springer. That PX9151LP, but personally I would try to find a blued model (just because I don't like mine to stick out any more than usual especially since I have a tendency to opencarry here in VA). I have heard good things about the springers regarding reliability. I have fired them as well(what else are friends for), I just don't own any(I have 2 old colts and a kimber).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Check out http://www.1911forum.com/. I am too in the market for a 1911 and have found alot of useful info on there. I personally am going to get a Springer Stainless GI or Milspec and do some custom touches on it.

I have an old Para P14 - no problems at all

I won't hesitate to buy another one

BTW their founder and president Ted Szabo passed away recently (and suddenly) he was a strong proponent of gun rights for Americans...

Para's warranty and service departments are excellent, and they are easily accessible if you have any problems with any of their products...

I have both springers both are great guns..

No exp on the other 2

Wow the Springfields seem to be the resounding choice so far. I thought I would hear from a few more people that like Para. I know S&W makes great firearms, is it just that Springfield has so much more experience making 1911's?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links