Range Report: XD45C (some pics)

This is a discussion on Range Report: XD45C (some pics) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, I have to say that the XD45C was a total impulse buy. I've always disliked hammerless guns, but hearing good things about the ...

Thread: Range Report: XD45C (some pics)

First off, I have to say that the XD45C was a total impulse buy. I've always disliked hammerless guns, but hearing good things about the trigger, I had to try one out in the store last week. The counter guy set me up with the compact and a snap cap. I immediately noticed the ambidex mag release which is big for a leftie and that it felt good in my hand.

I was totally amazed with the trigger pull. It was short, fairly crisp and very similiar to a 1911, albeit somewhat heavier. Then when he showed me that it became full sized (capacity) with a magazine change I was pretty much sold. The illegal in California stickers on the box also helped.

Here's a couple pics before going on to the shooting details. I've ordered a rig for it from Ugly Bald Guy Holsters, but still waiting on that to be made before I determine if it's a good carry piece or not. I suspect it will be rather concealable with the compact magazine.

Compact Mag, 10+1 capacity.

With full size mag, 13+1 capacity!!

Now for the real meat and potatoes. How does she shoot? Well, the answer to that question is great. It easily digested 150 rounds of 230 gr LRN reloads that I made and 20 rounds of Federal 230gr Hydro-shoks. Even attempting to limpwrist the pistol produced no failures of any kind.

Accuracy was very good. Groups were tight at 10 yards and I suspect I can get them a lot tighter after I get used to the trigger (not bad, just heavier than I'm used to). At 25 yards I was easily on paper smaller than a human torso.

Here's a shot pic. 10 yards, 1 handed with reloads. Could be better and will be once I get used to the slightly heavier trigger pull, but still well within Minute of BG. Two mags worth, so 24 rounds of .45acp!

With all that being said, I'm happy with an impulse purchase and would recommend the XD45C to other individuals. For ~500 bucks out the door, it's a good deal and may just end up as my EDC

Sam
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Congrats on the new XD. I agree completely. I've had mine for about 6 months now and love it. I also have yet to have a failure (with it or my other 2 XD's). It is my EDC pistol and I find it very easy to conceal. I love having choices and being able to customize things to certain situations and this pistol is perfect for that. I can use the 10 round mag. with light clothing then switch to the 13 with heavier clothing. I also keep it as my bedside gun and just switch to the 13 round mag at night. Having 14 rounds of .45 is pretty comforting.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Congrats on the XD and shooting. Springfield was smart to make the dual functionality.

Congrats...

on the new pistol...and pretty nice shootin' too...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    on the new pistol...and pretty nice shootin' too...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    I see powder burns!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Congratulations.
    Now go and get at least 4 full size mags for it, they go in and out of stock with sufficient regularity to buy them ASAP.
    I bought an XD9 SC and had to wait a few weeks to get my 'starter mag collection', and in light of recent events I will be buying more soon.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Congrats. My XD45 is my pride and joy. But i wish i would have waited for the compact to come out. I would love to trade it for a compact but i dont think there is anyone who would make the trade. Hmmm oh well.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I see powder burns!
    Et tu Brutus?

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Congratulations.
    Now go and get at least 4 full size mags for it, they go in and out of stock with sufficient regularity to buy them ASAP.
    I bought an XD9 SC and had to wait a few weeks to get my 'starter mag collection', and in light of recent events I will be buying more soon.
    Thanks for the tip. Haven't looked at mags yet, but at the very least I think this will be my new bedside gun so I'll probably need more mags. You always need more mags right?
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    You can never have enough mags
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Excellent choice!!!..I got the 9SC.

You gotta love the XD. I know I love mine!
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

I have topped 1000 rounds with my XD45C and it is a great shooter. The only trouble I have had is with a batch of reloads that had high primers. All of those fired when I put them back through the gun.

I shift between it and my Glock 30 as EDC.

Sponsored Links