Need advice on Subcompact for Harley biker - Page 2

Need advice on Subcompact for Harley biker

This is a discussion on Need advice on Subcompact for Harley biker within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A lot of guys swear by Kel Tecs. They're a good, inexpensive SD gun with a great customer service. If you're considering ankle carry, you ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    A lot of guys swear by Kel Tecs. They're a good, inexpensive SD gun with a great customer service.

If you're considering ankle carry, you might want to consider a J-frame. I carried a S&W 442 for years in an ankle holster as a back-up with no problems. I also used to use it as my primary off-duty. They would definitely fit the bill of what you're looking for.

Just some suggestions, of course, but you'll notice "most" of the anytime guns you hear about are usually some type of snubbie or a Kel Tec of some sort. Of course, there are the NAA's & Seecamps also, but the aforementioned are probably the most popular.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Surprised there hasn't been more support for the Kahr guns.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Smith10 View Post
    For riding and a lot of the rest of the time, I use a shoulder rig. Belt rigs, iwb or owb have gotten exposed for me due to wind.
    Hi Smith10 - what rig do you use? I ride as well, and would prefer a shoulder rig, just don't know what the best ones out there for riders are. Just curious, what do you carry?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I just acquired a CZ RAMI 2075. It's a sub-compact, carrying 10 rounds of 9mm in the standard mag, 14 in the extended mag. Still getting holsters for it. Nice little double-stack. They can be had for around $400 to $500 (depending on how hard you shop).
    Last edited by jeepshots; April 17th, 2007 at 12:56 PM.

Don't forget to get a good belt.

I ride my XLS about 12,000 miles each year and I always have my Kel-tec P3AT in my strong side pocket. I have put about 1000 rounds through it and have had no failures with the exception of the first magazine, due to break in.

I have tried carrying a Kahr P9 and a Taurus snubbie, but the Kel-tec is so much smaller than both. And, with 6+1 rounds, I feel safer than with a 5 shot revolver. Now and then I carry the Kahr while riding in an IWB at about 4 o'clock, but this only stays concealed if I have a jacket on.

I say go with the Kel-tec.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

A 3" 1911, Sig 220 Compact (the new 245), any Kahr and they have a new P45 compact, Glock subcompacts, XD subcompacts, S&W M&P subcompact. The Glock, M&P, and XDs are going to be closest to your price range.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I put about as many miles on my HD as I do on my truck most years (didnt last year due to surgery but am off to a good start this year).

When going to work I just use my UC Comfort t-shirt holster. However when off work I either wear my Kahr 9mm in a in-the-pants holster under an untucked t-shirt (I wear a I-shirt aka muscle shirt under the t-shirt for comfort).

I also have used a snubbie in an ankle rig but the one time I needed it I couldnt draw it (during a dog attack at a congested 4 way stop sign which I had to use my folding knife).

During the winter months, I use a shoulder rig under my jacket which I wear over a t-shirt and under a button up shirt (sometimes sleveless ones) which conceals well with my issued Sig or my other carry weapons.

For shoulder rigs, I use a Andrews Monarch, Galco Miami Classic or a DeSantis (for my snubbie).

Good luck and keep the shinny side up.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I don't have any advice for you really. I haven't gotten my EDC yet, and I don't ride bikes. BUT.... there is a thread about the J-frame called "new snubbies" and a thread about S&W XD40sc called "newbie looking at XD40sc" they both should have a lot of information that you would find... informative :D

hope those threads help some
    "Common sense is buried right next to personal responsibility in the social graveyard." - Andrew Wilkow

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily." - Napoleon Bonaparte

New Member Array T&A Gunsmithing's Avatar
    As for reliability, the bersa really can't be beat in a slim concealment pistol. Can't give an educated opinion on the Tomcat though, as I'm not as familiar with it as I would like to be before doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by DYI Hunting View Post
    I was using an Uncle Mikes OWB. I can carry ok with a jacket on, but summer is approaching and I will be jacket-less. I am looking something that I can carry in jeans and an untucked t-shirt.
    It's definitely the holster. I'm 6' 195 and I ride a Triumph. I carry a full size auto in a CrossBreed IWB. I just ordered a Southern Holsters IWB to try that with my new 1911. If I don't like it, I'll get another CrossBreed.

Don't let that stop you from purchasing another firearm, though. You can never have too many. That being said, even though I have subcompacts, I usually carry a full size. A good holster is money well spent and makes ALL the difference. If printing is the only reason you're looking to buy a new gun, buy a holster first.

If you will be wearing an untucked t-shirt, it doesn't matter what kind of holster you wear unless you are carrying at 1 o'clock. If you carry at 4 o'clock, the wind is going to pick up that shirt and show everyone what you are packing.

When I used to ride I would carry a S&W j frame IWB at one o'clock. It is a small enough weapon that it did not dig into me while I was riding. I am about the same height and weight as you.

640 with .38 +p 135 gr is a good round. I use the Speer Gold Dots.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Kahr PM9 and/or Keltec 32

Keltec 32 with the belt clip diappears at 1 o'clock IWB. PM9 is comfortable but not quite.
    Corbon ammo for the Kel tec.
    LE restricted ammo for the PM9

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I recommend the Glock 27. Ten rounds of .40 and very small. I shoot it as accurately as my full size GlocK 21.

I didn't recommend the Kahr because I thought they would be out of his price range.

I have a PM9 and I love it, but it's a third gun for me. For a BUG I prefer my 442. It rides in a jacket or pants pocket better and is easier to draw. I figured the OP would wear a jacket at some point and the J-Frames excell there over the self-loaders, IMHO.

As far as Ankle Holsters, I have them, in fact I have my 442 in one right now, but never on a scoot. 90% of motorcycle accidents involve injuries below the hip. Having a firearm down there just exacerbates the problem and injuries. Unless you are seated at a desk or in a car they are hard to draw.

Biker

I ride a sport bike (Honda SuperHawk) and when I lean forward for the controls of my motorcycle my jacket rides up in the back and sides so I switched from a side of the hip holster to a cross draw position where my 1911 or Glock 17 will not get exposed, a cross draw holster might work even better on a cruiser since your back is not leaning forward for the controls

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links